Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Online Car Insurance Quotes?

Online Car Insurance Quotes?

Old Feb 28th 2013, 8:03 am
Forum Regular

Marc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond reputeMarc_ely has a reputation beyond repute
Default Online Car Insurance Quotes?

In the UK we can easily get Online Car Insurance Quotes but in coming to the USA on a H1B with effectively zero no-claims bonus (even though I've been driving 24 years) is there any way of getting an online car insurance quote ?

I keep reading $1000 for 6months but surely that's not the same for all types of vehicles and ages!
I'd be looking at something like these:
- Chrysler Town/Country Minivan 2006
- Mazda6 Sedan 2006

Thanks
Marc
Old Feb 28th 2013, 11:44 am
BE Enthusiast

Wibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud ofWibblypig has much to be proud of
Default Re: Online Car Insurance Quotes?

Look into an expat programme such as AIG/Travelguard. We used them and paid just over $400 for a brand new top of the range Ford Escape for the first 6 months. We were getting quotes of around $1.5-2K from all the regular insurance companies.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 1:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

That's a ball park figure for anything newish or not shit.

Basically you have zero driving history and zero credit history and those are the biggest factor.

Think of yourself as a spotty 16 year old and that's exactly what you are when you fill in a online quote.

You'll find a better rate if you go to an agent. Also get quotes within a day or two of each other, or you'll get hard dings rather than soft dings on the additional quotes, which will lower your already non-existent credit score.
Old Feb 28th 2013, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

studentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nicestudentgwant is just really nice

Geico's original quote on a 2006 Durango to insure me on a new US license and my wife on a UK license was $3000 for 6 months insurance.

I told them where they could stick there quote in no uncertain terms. Shop around as some companies will take into account your foreign driving record, whereas alot of the online places wont.