Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Old Feb 24th 2013, 10:36 am
Forum Regular

chris197337 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cities in America that make you feel at home?

Clearly I don't have anything in common with the people of Maine.

Are there any British people living in any of the other 49 states who can recommend a good night out? Again, I mean a night out like in any British town/ city would be; at least a dozen lively bars and several large late bars/ nightclubs.

Lively, young people, loud music all of those things. Just to repeat, not an American's idea of fun, what a British person would look for in a place if they were under 40.
Old Feb 24th 2013, 12:42 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, I mentioned a few.

But any pissing big city.

Boston, NY, Philly, LA. Even the smaller ones like Providence, Hartford etc.

Find any large college and you'll find hundreds of piss heads drinking crap beer, dancing to shite DJ's.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:28 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Yes, I mentioned a few.

But any pissing big city.

Boston, NY, Philly, LA. Even the smaller ones like Providence, Hartford etc.

Find any large college and you'll find hundreds of piss heads drinking crap beer, dancing to shite DJ's.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:29 am
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chris197337
Lively, young people, loud music all of those things. Just to repeat, not an American's idea of fun, what a British person would look for in a place if they were under 40.
I never looked for any of that stuff when I was in my 20s, in the UK. Still under 40 and I'd take Mumford and Sons in a record shop over a bunch of drunk arseholes in a confined space, any day
Old Feb 25th 2013, 4:47 am
Just Joined

ldowney is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by UkWinds5353
Moving to a new country can be an exciting life experience but it also comes with a variety of changes to what we're us to. One of those challenges is finding a town/city in America which make you feel like you're at home. Where the people are friendly and there are things of interest to do. Where in America do you want to call home that has most of the attributes you want?
Madison, Wisconsin. It's friendly, small, liberal, educated (and perhaps a bit smug, I admit), and there are real neighborhoods where people get together and know their neighbors. I have been all over the US and found many places more glamorous -- although Madison is a very picturesque town -- but nowhere that I felt I belonged until I moved here. Can't say enough good things about it and I've lived here for 17 years.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SultanOfSwing
I never looked for any of that stuff when I was in my 20s, in the UK. Still under 40 and I'd take Mumford and Sons in a record shop over a bunch of drunk arseholes in a confined space, any day
You didn't go out drinking in your 20s? Wow, sorry to hear that.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:30 pm
I have a comma problem

SultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond reputeSultanOfSwing has a reputation beyond repute

You didn't go out drinking in your 20s? Wow, sorry to hear that.
Yes I did. I went to a nice pub where I could sit and talk shit with my mates without being bothered by the sort of uncouth yobbos who frequented the kind of places you seem to be so excited about. Bloody underage drinkers, slappers, chavs, who wants to hang around with them?

Plus, the pints were always cheaper and there were crisps on the go. What more does one need?
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:36 pm
Forum Regular

Yes I did. I went to a nice pub where I could sit and talk shit with my mates without being bothered by the sort of uncouth yobbos who frequented the kind of places you seem to be so excited about. Bloody underage drinkers, slappers, chavs, who wants to hang around with them?

Plus, the pints were always cheaper and there were crisps on the go. What more does one need?
A pipe and slippers maybe?

Why do you associate lively nights out with confined spaces and assume everyone in there would be a slapper etc. Perhaps you have a few unresolved mental issues there that talking about the UK has brought up.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:40 pm
I have a comma problem

A pipe and slippers maybe?

Why do you associate lively nights out with confined spaces and assume everyone in there would be a slapper etc. Perhaps you have a few unresolved mental issues there that talking about the UK has brought up.
It's be just as silly as dismissing a helpful suggestion as 'dull', wouldn't it?

It's because I hate large crowds of loud people you daft git
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Karrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond reputeKarrie72 has a reputation beyond repute

Clearly I don't have anything in common with the people of Maine.

Are there any British people living in any of the other 49 states who can recommend a good night out? Again, I mean a night out like in any British town/ city would be; at least a dozen lively bars and several large late bars/ nightclubs.

You're just way too cool for us clearly. And a bit rude too.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

It's be just as silly as dismissing a helpful suggestion as 'dull', wouldn't it?

It's because I hate large crowds of loud people you daft git
I imagine there are clubs in the cities (don't know as I stopped going to them after about age 22), it's the cosy pub that would be very difficult to replicate.
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:58 pm
I have a comma problem

Originally Posted by Sally Redux
I imagine there are clubs in the cities (don't know as I stopped going to them after about age 22), it's the cosy pub that would be very difficult to replicate.
There are clubs all over the place, aye. I tend to like the microbreweries or the craft beer pubs, these days. Loud music is acceptable, if I'm the one who's making it
Old Feb 25th 2013, 12:59 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

There are clubs all over the place, aye. I tend to like the microbreweries or the craft beer pubs, these days. Loud music is acceptable, if I'm the one who's making it
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

slummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to allslummymummy is a name known to all

Not that I've been everywhere but I think it will be hard to find something like a "night out with the lads in the UK", in the US... not sure if that's a good or a bad thing, lol. Anyway Chris are you sure you're ready for this? I'm getting nervous for your culture shock now!
Old Feb 25th 2013, 1:14 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute

One of the problems is that for three of the most crucial drinking years, it is illegal.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.