Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a gun when I am a permanent resident.

Buying a gun when I am a permanent resident.

Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:17 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a gun when I am a permanent resident.

Originally Posted by Steerpike
At some level, maybe ... but in one thread (they are all blending together today ...) OF was lamenting his lack of a partner. I'm sure there are women out there attracted to a 'nice bit of steel' but most women I know are just a tad nervous about weapons, and ... while one handgun for protection under the bed may be acceptable to most folks, encountering a room full might just cause a bit of a pause ... like ... is this guy about to go postal on me ... or is he planning a major assault ... or even, 'if things work out and we have kids, my kids are going to be surrounded by weapons ...'http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=324

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showp...&postcount=327

You're in San Francisco where there aren't many law abiding gun enthusiasts. In San Francisco and many other urban areas, people with firearms are either police or up to no good. That stigma doesn't exist in most (geographically speaking) of the rest of the country.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:28 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You're in San Francisco where there aren't many law abiding gun enthusiasts. In San Francisco and many other urban areas, people with firearms are either police or up to no good. That stigma doesn't exist in most (geographically speaking) of the rest of the country.
All I know is that it is a seriously good thing that I don't own a gun today.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:39 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Yeah, but I probably wouldn't be interested in dating women who have an irrational fear of an inanimate object.
cyanide is an inanimate object until you pop it in your mouth ... Fearing something that has a tendency to go 'bang' and cause blood to spurt may just be somewhat rational. Like I said - one under the bed is controllable, but 30, 40, 50 - how can you possibly know where they all are, keep them all safe, etc ... kinda like having one cat vs. 40 cats ... I mean, is every one of them under lock and key?

Urgghh! I'm not gun loving.
No, you are freedom and rights loving, and the guns just help you protect and defend them, right - all roomful(s) of them!

In all seriousness, if a neighbor of mine had that many guns I'd move. Having one gun I can understand, and I can imagine it will be well looked after and controlled by the owner. But if my neighbor had literally dozens, I'd get nervous that the chance of an accident would increase. Is he going to have friends over who come to admire and handle the weapons (with every 'handle' being a chance of an accident). What happens when he goes on vacation, and he's robbed ...

I realize you are a responsible person, and I'm not trying to be totally contrarian. I understand and accept your right to bear arms. But I'm trying to get my head around possession of an arsenal fit for an army. Not 'do you have the right?' but 'why?/what are the consequences?'
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:43 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

cyanide is an inanimate object until you pop it in your mouth ... Fearing something that has a tendency to go 'bang' and cause blood to spurt may just be somewhat rational. Like I said - one under the bed is controllable, but 30, 40, 50 - how can you possibly know where they all are, keep them all safe, etc ... kinda like having one cat vs. 40 cats ... I mean, is every one of them under lock and key?
I am sticking to 29 then ....
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 5:57 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

If I went to your house and you talked about how you go hunting, and showed me a collection of rifles you used to hunt with, and maybe a weapon you used for personal safety, I'd think it was quite normal. I'd respect your knowledge of the subject and learn from you. But if I went to your house and you showed me some of the weapons in OF's collection like this one:

and this one:

I'd seriously question what was going on in your head ... I'd make some excuse and head for the door ...
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:01 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

That is a hunting rifle, and a plinker. I wish I had the money for both.
Once again, you don't understand what you're looking at. Oh noes! It's black and looks scary.

I just don't feel like discussing this any more today. Have fun guys.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:03 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Oh noes! It's black and looks scary.
Sounds like my mate Big Derrick
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 6:50 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

If I went to your house and you talked about how you go hunting, and showed me a collection of rifles you used to hunt with, and maybe a weapon you used for personal safety, I'd think it was quite normal. I'd respect your knowledge of the subject and learn from you. But if I went to your house and you showed me some of the weapons in OF's collection like this one:
http://www.proguns.com/images/stagarms-Model-2TL.jpg
Looks just like one of mine.

Some people collect them, I've met people with 10 different types of the same model: http://gallery.me.com/bofrench#100117

Last edited by anotherlimey; Dec 3rd 2008 at 6:59 pm.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I'd make some excuse and head for the door ...
Why? Because they look scary? WRT the upper picture, AR-pattern rifles are very common, and function essentially the same as any other rifle with a detatchable box magazine. The P90 in the lower pic is a full-auto military weapon. I doubt that there are any transferable units in the US. There's a semi-auto civilian version with a long barrel, essentially a novelty item, but no more dangerous than any other small-bore semi-auto rifle.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:05 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

In all seriousness, if a neighbor of mine had that many guns I'd move. Having one gun I can understand, and I can imagine it will be well looked after and controlled by the owner. But if my neighbor had literally dozens, I'd get nervous that the chance of an accident would increase. Is he going to have friends over who come to admire and handle the weapons (with every 'handle' being a chance of an accident). What happens when he goes on vacation, and he's robbed ...
Just to be the Devil's Advocate.. I think that you can't generalize about people based on the number of guns owned. Some are going to be whack jobs, some are going to be irresponsible (the handling you point out) but most are going to be people who've invested a lot of money in their hobby and are serious about it. As pointed out, people own multiple models of the same gun.. it's no different really than any other kind of collection.

This kind of owner is likely to have their weapons locked in a gun safe, to protect the guns and for general safety. The guns are not stored loaded and the ammo is stored separately.

I got a crash course in "crazy gun people" thanks to my ex. I simply had never been exposed to them before and so I thought he was a 'nut'. Over time I learned more about it and gained confidence.. maybe a fear of the unknown affected me. I never did agree with his reasons for a concealed carry permit & it did inhibit our dancing dates at times.

I personally wasn't crazy about having multiple weapons in the house, but I hardly ever saw them after enough years (and the novelty for me wore off).
I have to admit, I wasn't thrilled with him moving out of our shared house at my request, to a house in the next block, knowing that he was pissed off and armed. Well, let's just say, it crossed my mind.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:15 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

It's funny. When I was down at my Mom's for Thanksgiving I actually stopped and looked at the gun cabinet in her hallway. I thought, so what would some folks on BE say if they knew my little old mother had 2 guns in that cabinet? She may have more I don't know. She's hardly a froot loop, survivalist or collector.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by cindyabs
I thought, so what would some folks on BE say if they knew my little old mother had 2 guns in that cabinet?
She's been added to the BE Fantasy Family as cool MIL.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:19 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.proguns.com/images/stagarms-Model-2TL.jpg
and this one:
http://world.guns.ru/smg/fn_p90_1.jpg
I'd seriously question what was going on in your head ... I'd make some excuse and head for the door ...

Why?

I'll tell you.

What you (and many others) have is a prejudice based on ignorance and fear (as most are) and fed by the amount of gun violence shown in tv/movies and the news media. How many images of a family target shooting do you see vs. instances of someone shooting someone else, even though in reality the target shooter is by far the more common? I think this is especially difficult to understand for people who come from places much more restrictive than the US.

This predjudice extends towards the physical appearance of the firearm as well. If service rifle competitions (Competitions using rifles based on military or "service" rifles such as the M-14 and M-16) were televised more I think people would have a different idea. Marksmanship is a true skill... when everything comes together right, it's almost as though you're in a medatative state. And the fact is that the M-14 and the M-16/AR-15 are two extremely accurate rifles. Check out the Camp Perry matches or competitive shooting in general to see what it's all about.

There is so much more to firearms than violence... It's difficult to explain to those inundated with daily negative messages from the media and anti gun flavored peer pressure.
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:21 pm
Unmitigated Gall

Originally Posted by Bill_S
Why? Because they look scary? WRT the upper picture, AR-pattern rifles are very common, and function essentially the same as any other rifle with a detatchable box magazine. The P90 in the lower pic is a full-auto military weapon. I doubt that there are any transferable units in the US. There's a semi-auto civilian version with a long barrel, essentially a novelty item, but no more dangerous than any other small-bore semi-auto rifle.

And sort of a mechanical marvel as well as damn expensive, probably moreso now...
Old Dec 3rd 2008, 7:25 pm
BE Forum Addict

There is so much more to firearms than violence... It's difficult to explain to those inundated with daily negative messages from the media and anti gun flavored peer pressure.
Very well said. I left this last bit in because I wanted to stress it. The first order of business in any beginner firearms training class is the safety rules. The next is telling the students that almost everything they think they know about guns from movies/tv is wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.