Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a gun when I am a permanent resident.

Buying a gun when I am a permanent resident.

Old Dec 4th 2008, 3:15 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Buying a gun when I am a permanent resident.

Originally Posted by fatbrit
There's a difference between holding the line and being outright liars and so intransigent that they defy rational thought. I'm sure they have some valid arguments somewhere in there, but these days I approach their deranged mutterings as I would any literature from Scientology, and any merits their arguments have are thus lost on me. Apart from providing copious amounts of easy material for a beginners course on critical thinking, I cannot see what other purpose they have.
I agree, and I hate when tactics like that are used. It dilutes the message when the truth strengthens it.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
You seem to think that the 2nd Amendment is the least important. I disagree and here's why.

When the founding fathers, the men who drafted the blueprint for our Nation's government, decided that the Constitution needed to be amended to include a statement naming and protecting Citizens rights, the memory of British rule was fresh in their minds. In creating our system of Government, they included checks and balances in an attempt to avoid the kind of oppression by the State that had occured under the English Monarchy.

In my view, the final, and most drastic of these checks was the 2nd amendment. I find it very significant that they considered it important enough to make it number 2, the First dealing with the separation of church and state, freedom of religion and the freedoms of speech , assembly and protest.

The Second Amendment reads "A well regulated Militia being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed." It is my belief that the intent of this amendment was to ensure that the Citizens of the United States had the means to dissolve their very govenment by force if necessary, if at some point in the future, the system of checks and balances failed and the Government had become corrupt and oppressive. Imagine an inventor creating a living robot with intelligence and the capacity to reason, with the intent that it be used for good, yet having the forethought to put in a mechanism to destroy the robot should it ever become a menace. What they did was to insure that future generations had the means to revolt against tryanny as they had just done. When they said "security of a free state" IMHO, they meant "state" not only as "nation" against foreign invasion, but as "state of being" against any foe of freedom, including the very Govt. they were in the process of creating.

They trusted the Citizen more than they trusted the Government and the 2nd amendment is a legacy of that trust that is still as relevent today as it was 217 years ago, which is why I am very wary of anyone dicking around with it..
I've said many times that I have no problem with the 2nd Amendment, and with the right of people to bear arms for self defense. But as you highlight above, the essence of the 2nd amendment is 'well regulated' and (for) 'the security of a free state'. This absolutely does not rule out registration, training, etc - in fact, positively suggests it to me. Further, and this is why I don't even bring it up in these discussions - nowhere does it suggest you can keep and bear arms for non-security pursuits such as recreational target practice, for hunting, for 'show' or 'collection', etc.

I think it's better to argue this from a 'common sense' perspective rather than 2nd Amendment perspective because the 2nd Amendment really does offer up a lot of opportunities for things that you guys don't really want to consider. If I were the supreme court interpreting this I'd say, you can keep a gun at home, well regulated (registered, inspected, etc) and you can get it out when you deem your security is threatened.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:10 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I've said many times that I have no problem with the 2nd Amendment, and with the right of people to bear arms for self defense. But as you highlight above, the essence of the 2nd amendment is 'well regulated' and (for) 'the security of a free state'. This absolutely does not rule out registration, training, etc - in fact, positively suggests it to me. Further, and this is why I don't even bring it up in these discussions - nowhere does it suggest you can keep and bear arms for non-security pursuits such as recreational target practice, for hunting, for 'show' or 'collection', etc.

I think it's better to argue this from a 'common sense' perspective rather than 2nd Amendment perspective because the 2nd Amendment really does offer up a lot of opportunities for things that you guys don't really want to consider. If I were the supreme court interpreting this I'd say, you can keep a gun at home, well regulated (registered, inspected, etc) and you can get it out when you deem your security is threatened.
Registered? No way. The only thing that does is make it easy for a tyrannical state to come and take it away. You have to concede that.
Inspect it? Yep. It's still a gun. -rolls eyes-
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

You need to dig a little deeper. ...
But you have to admit, this chart (which I have no reason to disbelieve) is interesting! I have to wonder why the coastal states are so low down in the list! I mean .... New York, New Jersey ... 47, 48 on the list! And if nothing else, it really does counter Chartreuse's comment about the coastal states being the whacky ones!
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:19 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

You're forgetting poverty - that's a big factor.
Look at places like Washington DC, Detroit, Chicago, LA, all which have stricter gun control.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:22 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by wtkp0u
I'd guess that all you need is a picture ID, although for certain types of machine gun you may need a background check
I thought machine guns were illegal. Everyone has to fill out paperwork that gets sent to the Dept. of Justice (I think that's the right dept.) to approve.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:43 pm
Unmitigated Gall

another bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond reputeanother bloody yank has a reputation beyond repute

Again, I disagree. "A well regulated Militia" refers to the Militia being well regulated, I don't see how that translates into registration of privately owned firearms. Surely if they meant for privately owned firearms to be registered and tracked, they would have done it?

You mean when "We", the Govt., deem your security has been threatened because we sure can't be trusted to make that determination ourselves, right?.

I agree with mandatory firearms safety and marksmanship training. I've said here before that I think it should be taught in school just like P.E. or sex ed.

Registration? INSPECTION??
This is why the left scares the shit out of me.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 4:46 pm
Peace onion

Again, I disagree. "A well regulated Militia" refers to the Militia being well regulated, I don't see how that translates into registration of privately owned firearms. Surely if they meant for privately owned firearms to be registered and tracked, they would have done it?

You mean when "We", the Govt., deem your security has been threatened because we sure can't be trusted to make that determination ourselves, right?.

I agree with mandatory firearms safety and marksmanship training. I've said here before that I think it should be taught in school just like P.E. or sex ed.

Registration? INSPECTION??
This is why the left scares the shit out of me.
It's a totally weird mindset that I just can't fathom.
Here's an article about Plaxico Burress and the laws in NYC.
The only people who get gun permits are politicians, retired police officers and celebrities. ***** that, like uber hypocrite Rosie O'Donnell.
No guns for the little people... ***** that with a ten foot d*ldo.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB1228...s_opinion_main

ABY, I think Steerpike is one of the greatest trolls I've ever encountered. Clearly, he's an intelligent person. And that just doesn't jibe with his "arguments." No-one can really be so obtuse.

I'm still waiting for an answer as to the registration thing. Why would we tell a tyrannical state which of its citizens have firearms, and where they are; the very same arms which are intended to fight just such an entity? The first people picked up and imprisoned will be those on gun registration rolls. Kind of defeats the purpose of the 2nd amendment.
That is so moronic that the only possible answer must be that Steerpike is trolling.

Last edited by Octang Frye; Dec 4th 2008 at 5:06 pm.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

OK, so if the 'regulation' applies to the 'Militia', how would that apply to the discussion at hand? Where is the 'regulation' of this loose association of patriots? How does one have a "Well Regulated Militia" formed out of individuals with guns under their beds? This is another reason I don't think you guys are well-served by bringing up the 2nd Amendment - it really points to more of a 'home guard'. That and ... where the hell does it allow for the ownership of a gun for hunting?

No, I interpret it this way. You do whatever you deem necessary at the time.
AFTER the fact, the legality will be determined. So - if you are a nut-case and you start taking pot-shots at citizens, claiming that you thought the country was being invaded, you are tried in a court of law like everyone else.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

I think it's better to argue this from a 'common sense' perspective rather than 2nd Amendment perspective because the 2nd Amendment really does offer up a lot of opportunities for things that you guys don't really want to consider. If I were the supreme court interpreting this I'd say, you can keep a gun at home, well regulated (registered, inspected etc) and you can get it out when you deem your security is threatened.
Exactly what problems are registration and inspection going to solve? Ok, let's say all my guns are now registered. So what? The gang-bangers on E 55th Street aren't going to register theirs. They're already carrying them illegally. How is the registration list going to change their criminal behavior?

You've mentioned inspection a couple of times. Inspection by whom? Inspection for what?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:07 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

OK, so if the 'regulation' applies to the 'Militia', how would that apply to the discussion at hand?
There is some argument that "well regulated" means "functioning correctly", as in "well regulated clock". I'm not a student of government history; I wonder when the notion of Federal Regulations as we understand them today actually became a part of the government.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
Here's an article about Plaxico Burress and the laws in NYC.
The only people who get gun permits are politicians, retired police officers and celebrities.
Same deal in Steerpike's beloved California. CCW is ok if you are a politician or celebrity. Average Joe? Forget it.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:38 pm
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

It's about that time. We haven't had a polarized gun ownership thread for a few weeks now. All is well in the BE universe
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:43 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
It's about that time. We haven't had a polarized gun ownership thread for a few weeks now. All is well in the BE universe
Go and work on your manboobs...
Old Dec 4th 2008, 5:44 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond reputeBluegrass Lass has a reputation beyond repute

what is so wrong with at least registering guns? FWIW, I'm not anti-gun per se, I just don't see a need for them in my life, though they do serve a purpose. I don't understand why registration is so anathema? If every gun already has a serial #, what is wrong with knowing that John Doe has a 9mm with Serial No. XYZ? I see nothing wrong with it. Just because you register the gun, doesn't mean the gov't is going to take them away from or anything - they just want to know who has what. Obviously this wouldnt' stop criminals who obtained them illegally, but perhaps the registering could be used somehow in crime-related investigations (i simply don't know enough on the topic)?

Last edited by Bluegrass Lass; Dec 4th 2008 at 5:46 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.