Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Buying a gun when I am a permanent resident.

Buying a gun when I am a permanent resident.

Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:09 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Buying a gun when I am a permanent resident.

Originally Posted by Bill_S
RFID is very short range.
Oddly enough, I had a very interesting convo this evening about semi-passive RFID devices. Much longer range, but problems with battery life. Only solution I can see is regular pulsing with RF for inductive charging.

Plus, guns are mostly metal, which would block RF. The only way around that would be to have the chip so exposed that removal or inactivation would be easy.
Your Farady cage argument remains sound, however.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Bill S - I just want to say, your posts on this topic are well thought out and reasoned. Discussing this topic with you is a worthwhile exercise!

Thanks.

A, B) who would have thought we'd have exploding airbags, anti-lock brakes, etc in our cars, say, 50 years ago ... I believe technology could be applied to make these things a reality. Hell, we can trace a $4 bag of lettuce to it's manufacturing plant in Mexico these days - who would have thought that was possible 50 years ago?

Projectiles are linked to particular guns by looking at rifling grooves on the bullet and various marks on the cartrige case (left by the extractor, firing pin, chamber and bolt face). Any of these parts can be changed, or altered with hand tools. Ever heard the joke about the guy selling George Washington's axe? Sure, it has a new handle, and he's changed the blade twice, but it's the same ax George used.
There's no possible way to uniquely trace ammunition. Billions of rounds are sold in the US every year. There's no way to put a 12-digit serial number on a lead bullet such that the number is readable after it's hit a target. Even if this were possible, how would you account for the vast amount of extant ammunition. Lots of WWII surplus around, and it's perfectly good.

C) that's one of the loopholes today (that and, 'gun show' sales). This should absolutely be controlled.

I can't see how casual transfers could ever be effectively "controlled".

D) But your toolbox is not designed to be a deadly weapon and you can reasonably leave it in your toolshed. If you could prove you took appropriate measures to protect your guns, you would be ok. And of course, accurately account for what was stolen!

Umm... you've shifted the goalposts. You simply said the last buyer would be responsible for future acts. Suppose someone stole one of my kitchen knives and stabbed someone. Am I responsible? I knew that knife was designed to cut flesh. Should I have kept it in a locked case?

But if we implemented something robust today, and TRACKED everything going forward, we'd know which guns were in the hands of criminals at least; they were initially sold legally and registered, then 'somehow' got into the hands of crooks. If your guns were stolen, then they know which guns are in the wrong hands. Again, it could take a hundred years to get where we need to be, but - if we start thinking about it now, maybe we will get there someday.
This centuries-long campaign would be vastly expensive, and the singular focus on firearms ignores the fact that violent crime is a complex social problem. Instead of focusing vast resources on hardware and lawful gun owners, that effort would be much better expended where it's needed. Most gun crime victims are poor, young, minority males. Surely we can expend resources to try to reduce the number of criminals, rather than maintain databases.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:52 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

Bill S - I just want to say, your posts on this topic are well thought out and reasoned. Discussing this topic with you is a worthwhile exercise!
-Snicker- A back-handed put down. It's not worth arguing with you when you wont answer direct questions. Answering a question with a question makes debating pointless.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:54 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Lord Lionheart
I'm looking forward to the first zombie president. Speech writing will be a breeze for his aides, just a few mumbles and growls. Best of all he'll be able to have the Iranian president for dinner at the white house, with a nice Hollandaise sauce
This raises an important point. Do really Zombies eat people? Because I reckon they can't eat people otherwise we'd never have new Zombies.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:56 pm
BE Forum Addict

Bill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond reputeBill_S has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
This raises an important point. Do really Zombies eat people? Because I reckon they can't eat people otherwise we'd never have new Zombies.
And what about the children? Does nobody care about the zombie children?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 8:57 pm

chartreuse is an unknown quantity at this point

I like zombie children. But I couldn't eat a whole one...
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:06 pm
Account Closed

Okachickima is an unknown quantity at this point

Then, for grins, I compared San Francisco's crime rate to St Louis, Missouri (trying to pick a nice gun-owning, Republican state for comparison, and pick two major cities for comparison since crime rates are higher in major cities). See below. SF is blue, St. Louis is yellow. Source:
For broader grins, why don't you make the same comparison with a city that is larger than St. Louis and has nearly an identical murder rate, and one that is in a Democratic-voting state and that is much closer to you than St. Louis--practically bordering on San Francisco, in fact. I am speaking of Oakland, of course, with a murder rate of 36.4 per 100,000 according to your data, or more than three times the San Francisco rate and nearly seven times the national rate.

http://sanfrancisco.areaconnect.com/...=Oakland&s2=CA

And I would still like to know what the link you referred to about the supposed firearm death rates in the different states indicates about the likelihood of being murdered in those states by firearm or otherwise.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:07 pm
WTF?

Leslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond reputeLeslie has a reputation beyond repute

Of course not. They're too young to vote.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:12 pm
Peace onion

Octang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond reputeOctang Frye has a reputation beyond repute

We're calling you out Steerpike.

For the love of all that is holy, please answer this one simple question:

What does this inspection you talk about actually mean?
How would an inspection make anything safer?

Please, just answer that, and I'll never post in another gun thread again.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:12 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Of course not. They're too young to vote.
do they hunt moose?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:13 pm
Peace onion

Originally Posted by cindyabs
do they hunt moose?
A moose once bit my sister.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:14 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
A moose once bit my sister.
Did she turn into a Zombie?
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:15 pm
WTF?

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
We're calling you out Steerpike.

For the love of all that is holy, please answer this one question:

What does this inspection you talk about actually mean?

Please, just answer that, and I'll never post in another gun thread again.
Inspection is covered here under New Law #2 :

New Laws:

1. All gun owners must submit a DNA sample at time of purchase.

2. At strategically placed police checkpoints, women will be required to empty the contents of their vagina to ensure that they are not concealing a weapon.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:16 pm
Peace onion

No. I severed her leg at the shoulder before the T-virus could spread to the rest of her body.
Old Dec 4th 2008, 9:17 pm
Sursum corda

Inspection is covered here under New Law #2 :
Does a Zombie count as a weapon?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.