Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

British Football thread

Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:03 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

I dunno if I did or din't waiting for verification.

do the Scottish ones look right or what?
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:12 pm
Skyscrapered

Haggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura aboutHaggischomper has a spectacular aura about

Originally posted by manc1976
I dunno if I did or din't waiting for verification.

do the Scottish ones look right or what?

Dingwall would be IV for Inevereness I think. (pardonm ny tyouing, I'm drunk).

Motehrwell are playi8jg Queen of the Soutrh (Dunopfries and Gallowat)
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:26 pm
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Haggischomper
Dingwall would be IV for Inevereness I think. (pardonm ny tyouing, I'm drunk).

Motehrwell are playi8jg Queen of the Soutrh (Dunopfries and Gallowat)
jesus your pasted!
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:31 pm
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Yeah you got them all right Manc.
Give PA a shout and tell him you've got the nerd hat. (Or should that be me for doing it in the first place ?!)

Haggischomper what are you doing !
It's 11.30 in the morning ! You been down the offy and got a bottle of cider or summat ?

No hang on... you are still in Scotia and it's late afternoon there.
What happened - did you have a win on the geegee's ?
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:35 pm
@matthewb76

Originally posted by Webbie
Yeah you got them all right Manc.
Give PA a shout and tell him you've got the nerd hat. (Or should that be me for doing it in the first place ?!)

Haggischomper what are you doing !
It's 11.30 in the morning ! You been down the offy and got a bottle of cider or summat ?

No hang on... you are still in Scotia and it's late afternoon there.
What happened - did you have a win on the geegee's ?
even though he's still over there it is 10:30 in Chicago.
would have been even funnier if he was over here.
Old Feb 6th 2004, 3:51 pm

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

I miss that.. going out on a bender. Don't miss the consequences obviously, but so miss the option of being able to do that.
There are a few Irish pubs and bars here, but you can't do a pub crawl because of this distances between places so you have to drive - and one thing I DON'T do is drink and drive.

Why don't they have more pubs here ? There isn't any community or friendliness you have with going down the pub and sitting with old Stanley in the corner there and listen to him sort out the world and its problems...

Better stop before I get teary eyed and jumpers for goalposts. Eh ?

"Nice cup of tea at half time."

Come June and Euro 2004 that's the one thing I will miss.
Being in a packed bar when Owen scores another.
Old Feb 7th 2004, 2:46 am

(Bit worried about this thread going onto page 2 so I'm posting some fitba stories to keep it up. Fnar fnar.)

All from the lefties at the Beeb:

Leeds extend takeover deadline
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ed/3463015.stm
"Leeds extend "standstill" agreement for seven days as a consortium moves closer to a takeover."
(They keep stalling and stalling. Can't understand why anyone would want to buy this cowboy outfit. I mean they are on their way to the 1st division and half full stadiums and even more debts.)

Wales to fight Russia ruling
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...es/3465351.stm
"Wales are to appeal against Uefa's decision not to punish Russia over Egor Titov's failed drug test. "
(Give it up Mark. You've taken an international team of limited talent and made them better than the Scottish squad. [You have to admit I'm right there guys.] - Just concentrate yourself on Fergie's job when he walks out because of the the disageement he's having below.)

Man Utd fans(aka a bunch of chinless wonders from Surrey) stage protest
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/othe...ng/3390477.stm
"Officials at Sandown are preparing for protests on by Man Utd fans against John Magnier and JP McManus"
(Go on Fergie do it - walk out. But would he ? Fergie was eyeing up a cushtie position on the board but a couple of Micks are going to put the kybosh to that.)

Spurs single out manager
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ur/3459431.stm
"Tottenham caretaker boss David Pleat has said they have singled out a new manager for the club."
(Names banded around include Giovanni Trapattoni [unlikley] and Roberto Mancini [hmmm....] as well as Charlton boss Alan Curbishley [naaa..] Bit worried that Pleat likes being where he is now and might have a word about staying there. - Quote from the story: "I'm quite relaxed in the job and I'm quite happy when we're winning and not so happy when we are losing," said Pleat. I was disappointed to see they have swap dealed Defoe for Bobby Zamora plus cash. Zamora was looking like a contender - knocking them in left right and center at Brighton, but he made a move to the wrong club. I may be wrong about that though, I don't follow Spurs all that closely. Any Tottenham fans lurking here ? Can you give us the inside scoop ? )
Old Feb 8th 2004, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

HAWKS 2-0 Hinckley.........................

1st home win in 4 months !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ah the joy of celebrating the football results at noon on a saturday.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 7:05 pm

Latest Footie News:

Merson seeks help
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ll/3473233.stm
"Walsall have announced midfielder Paul Merson has left the country to seek treatment for what the Saddlers have described as "addictive problems".
The 35-year-old former England star has fought battles against drink, drugs and gambling problems.
The Saddlers are now resigned to losing his services for an open-ended period.

"Paul has left the country to undertake a rehabilitation programme further to his long-standing and well-publicised addictive problems," the club said.

They added: "Walsall Football Club and the Professional Footballers' Association are fully supporting Paul and his family and would ask everyone to respect their privacy at this time."

Betty Ford in the USA ?
Good luck to ya Merse. This'll probably end his football career, but health should come first.
Once he's cleaned up he will be on They Think It's All Over and on Radio 5 as a pundit.
-------

Paul Hart got the boot at Forest and apparantly they are in talks with Greg Kinnear ->
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...st/3472327.stm
This would be a backward step really. I mean no disrespect to Greg but Forest should be future thinking and get Stuart Pearce and Nigel Clough as his right hand man.
---------

Fitba News:
Murrayfield share agreed
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...an/3472727.stm
"Tynecastle is too short to comply with European football rules
Hearts have announced to the Stock Exchange that they have reached agreement with the Scottish Rugby Union about sharing Murrayfield Stadium.
The Scottish Premier League club will now attempt to have the decision endorsed at an extraordinary meeting.
Hearts chief executive Chris Robinson says that moving to Murrayfield is required to prevent his club going into administration.
Tynecastle would be sold to reduce Hearts' £17.6m debt."

Comments Tony ?
---------

[b]D-day for Livi players[/i]
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...on/3472135.stm
"Livingston players will learn on Tuesday if they will lose their jobs.
The Scottish Premier League club's administrator had agreed to defer an announcement of redundancies until after Sunday's Scottish Cup tie.
Manager Davie Hay will have a meeting with administrator Kroll on Monday evening and players are likely to be called in individually to learn their fate on Tuesday.
Former chairman Dominic Keane says up to 10 players could be axed.

Dundee made 15 players redundant when they went into administration in November, while Motherwell reduced their playing staff by 19 the previous season. "

Dunfirmline have called in the accountants as well ->
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ic/3470687.stm

The way it's going I think the Scottish Premier clubs will all go to the wall and the Old Firm will have to join the English Football League. Everybody is facing extinction and Scottish Football is going to resemble the Welsh league soon.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 7:45 pm
@matthewb76

The Saddlers are now resigned to losing his services for an open-ended period.
10 to1 on, he'll be back for next season..............apparently.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 7:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

doctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to beholddoctor scrumpy is a splendid one to behold

Would Nigel go there after the way they treated his dad in the end ?
Old Feb 9th 2004, 7:48 pm
@matthewb76

Originally posted by doctor scrumpy
Would Nigel go there after the way they treated his dad in the end ?
He's at Burton Albion or somewherel ike that now isn't he?
Old Feb 9th 2004, 7:57 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
He's at Burton Albion or somewherel ike that now isn't he?
Yep and they are doing well, inherited his Dad's talents (but hopefully not his treatment of players.)

Another one I forgot to menton - Go back Batty has been told he'll never play another game for Leeds.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ed/3472931.stm
Think he's got to face facts that in any way his Premiership time is over. He could jump ship to a "lower" team like Leicester or Brum, but I don't think they would take him. The lower leagues beckon.
Old Feb 9th 2004, 10:36 pm
Get em out by Friday

tony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond reputetony_2003 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally posted by Webbie
Murrayfield share agreed
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...an/3472727.stm
"Tynecastle is too short to comply with European football rules
Hearts have announced to the Stock Exchange that they have reached agreement with the Scottish Rugby Union about sharing Murrayfield Stadium.
The Scottish Premier League club will now attempt to have the decision endorsed at an extraordinary meeting.
Hearts chief executive Chris Robinson says that moving to Murrayfield is required to prevent his club going into administration.
Tynecastle would be sold to reduce Hearts' £17.6m debt."

Comments Tony ?
Not quite a done deal yet, this is just an agreement with the SRU. Robinson still has to convince sharholders at the meeting that it's a good idea. I think the rental of Murrayfield would be a great option if we could buy it later though, seeing as the SRU want to sell it.
Old Feb 10th 2004, 2:11 am

Selected midweek fixtures - and what a busy midweek it is:

TUESDAY:
EPL:
Arsenal v Southampton 19:45
Leeds United v Wolves 19:45
Leicester City v Bolton 20:00

LDV Vans Trophy Southern Area Final First Leg
Colchester v Southend Utd 20:00

LDV Vans Trophy Northern Area Final First Leg
Blackpool v Sheff Wed 19:45

SPL:
Dundee Utd v Hibernian 19:45

WEDNESDAY:
EPL:
Birmingham v Everton 19:45
Fulham v Aston Villa 19:45
Blackburn v Newcastle 20:00
Charlton v Tottenham 20:00
Liverpool v Man City 20:00
Man Utd v Middlesbrough 20:00
Portsmouth v Chelsea 20:00

FA Cup Fourth Round
Telford v Millwall 19:45
(The 5th round is next weekend - not much time for the winner to prepare.)

SPL:
Dunfermline v Celtic 19:45
Hearts v Aberdeen 19:45
Motherwell v Dundee 19:45
Partick Thistle v Livingston 19:45
Rangers v Kilmarnock 19:45

(I think there's two clubs in that lot that are not upshitcreek.)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.