British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British Football thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-football-thread-180431/)

tony_2003 Jan 21st 2004 2:57 pm

Actually that song (if you mean Take My Breath Away) wasnt even theirs...it's what apparently broke them up. I'm looking forward to Frankie Goes to Hollywood though.

Webbie Jan 21st 2004 3:04 pm

Originally posted by tony_2003
Actually that song (if you mean Take My Breath Away) wasnt even theirs...it's what apparently broke them up. I'm looking forward to Frankie Goes to Hollywood though.
Frankie didn't perform.
They all met up again and talked about the old days, but refused to do a live set. The only band to do so.
Agreed - should be a good episode anyway.

DaveC Jan 21st 2004 3:44 pm

Tennents Scottish Cup Third Round Replay
Dundee v Aberdeen 19:45

Thoughts on the game dave?
I'll go for a 2-0 dons win.
On paper Aberdeen should go through, we have less injuries & suspensions to worry about. If the players can bounce back from Saturday's disaster in Dundee then I think a win might be on the cards. By a single goal. Deflected. Off the backside of the referee. In the last minute of extra time.

Apparently every time the clubs have met in the Cup, one of the teams has gone all the way to the final.

Webbie Jan 21st 2004 7:22 pm

Lastest footie :

Laurie Sanchez has been named the new Northern Ireland Manager.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...nd/3416689.stm
His management record before this gig:
Boss of Wycombe Wanderers. Sacked Sept 2003.
Played: 255. Won: 87. Lost 97. Drawn: 71.
(Wycombe now currently bottom of the 2nd Division.)

Big ambitions at the Northern Ireland FA !

tony_2003 Jan 21st 2004 11:44 pm

Dundee 2-3 Aberdeen

Dodgy Falkirk next dave.

DaveC Jan 22nd 2004 2:51 am

Dundee 2-3 Aberdeen

Dodgy Falkirk next dave.
Yup, apparently it was an entertaining game, I managed to catch the goals on Fox Sports. The defence will need to sharpen up a bit though if any further progress is to be made in the cup. Dunno at which ground the 4th round game will be played yet. Hope it's not anywhere near Stenhousemuir, bad memories of 1995.

I hear that Hearts have released video footage of Hartson elbowing Andy Webster. Shame the BBC cameras missed it otherwise we might have had another trial by TV!

tony_2003 Jan 22nd 2004 4:40 am

Originally posted by DaveC
I hear that Hearts have released video footage of Hartson elbowing Andy Webster. Shame the BBC cameras missed it otherwise we might have had another trial by TV!
Don't get me started, the guys an effing animal. Aparently he was weeping on telly last week about his undeserved reputation as a hardman! Then he does this! He found out that the bbc cameras didnt catch the incident and then blamed webster...****ing twat! And the biased bastards SFA will do nothing about it because the ref made his decision. Here is a link to the video Hartson GBH

DaveC Jan 22nd 2004 4:23 pm

Here is a link to the video Hartson GBH
Thanks for the link, pretty vicious hit from the corpulent Welshman. It's assault but I guess the police wouldn't get involved unless a complaint was made. Utterly shameless the way he went over to comfort Webster and then claimed afterwards he made the most of it!

Never mind, I'm sure he'll get a rough time on Saturday by the notoriously physical Aberdeen defence. Yeah, right!

Webbie Jan 22nd 2004 4:48 pm

Latest fitba:
SPL Agree Rule Change
"Scottish Premier League clubs who go into administration after this season will suffer a 10-point deduction."

QUOTE: "Scottish Premier League clubs who go into administration after this season will suffer a 10-point deduction and prevented from signing new players.
Motherwell and Dundee, who are both in administration, will not be affected by the sanction this term.

But if they are not in the process of coming out of administration by 31 May, the ruling will apply for next season.

Motherwell have begun that process, but as things stand, Dundee could start next season with minus 10 points. "

So if they don't pull their fingers out real soon, they will be next season's Partick Thistle. - As in propping up the table.
(Teams still do get relegated from the SPL don't they ?)

---

SELECTED WEEKEND FIXTURES:

(Saturday)
FA Cup 4th Round -
Scarborough v Chelsea 12:30
Portsmouth v Scunthorpe Utd 15:00
Swansea City v Preston 15:00
Telford v Millwall 15:00
Arsenal v Middlesbrough 15:00
Birmingham v Wimbledon 15:00
Burnley v Gillingham 15:00
Coventry City v Colchester 15:00
Ipswich Town v Sunderland 15:00
Luton Town v Tranmere 15:00
Liverpool v Newcastle 17:35
(Sunday)
Man City v Tottenham 13:00
Nottm Forest v Sheff Utd 14:00
Wolves v West Ham Utd 14:00
Everton v Fulham 15:00
Northampton v Man Utd 16:05

1st Division -
Bradford City v Crystal Palace

2nd Division -
Stockport v Plymouth

3rd Division -
Bristol Rovers v Carlisle United

DM Prem League -
Chippenham Town v Havant and Waterlooville

Presidents Cup QF -
Ashton Utd v Barrow

SPL -
Aberdeen v Celtic 12:30
Dunfermline v Motherwell 15:00
Hearts v Partick Thistle 15:00
Kilmarnock v Hibernian 15:00
Rangers v Livingston 15:00
(Sunday)
Dundee v Dundee Utd 15.00

Some cracking FA cup ties there.
Scarboro v Chelski and Pompy v Scunny should be good ones.

tony_2003 Jan 22nd 2004 4:49 pm

Originally posted by DaveC
Thanks for the link, pretty vicious hit from the corpulent Welshman. It's assault but I guess the police wouldn't get involved unless a complaint was made. Utterly shameless the way he went over to comfort Webster and then claimed afterwards he made the most of it!

Never mind, I'm sure he'll get a rough time on Saturday by the notoriously physical Aberdeen defence. Yeah, right!

To be honest I'm not sure why an assault charge hasnt been filed by Hearts or Webster. We know the SFA are going to do nothing despite the evidence so will Celtic step up and do the right thing? Probably not! No wonder hatred of the old firm is at an all time high.

tony_2003 Jan 22nd 2004 4:57 pm

Originally posted by Webbie
Latest fitba:
SPL Agree Rule Change
"Scottish Premier League clubs who go into administration after this season will suffer a 10-point deduction."

QUOTE: "Scottish Premier League clubs who go into administration after this season will suffer a 10-point deduction and prevented from signing new players.
Motherwell and Dundee, who are both in administration, will not be affected by the sanction this term.

But if they are not in the process of coming out of administration by 31 May, the ruling will apply for next season.

Motherwell have begun that process, but as things stand, Dundee could start next season with minus 10 points. "

So if they don't pull their fingers out real soon, they will be next season's Partick Thistle.
- As in propping up the table.

I believe one goes down, but they change the rules about the whole league every season I have no clue really. 10 points is a hell of a lot to make up. I'm not sure why clubs should be punished for going into debt? Seems a tad harsh to me. I see De Stefano has resigned at Dundee though...

Webbie Jan 22nd 2004 5:25 pm

....I see De Stefano has resigned at Dundee though...
Oh yeah I've seen -->

Di Stafano Steps Down
"Giovanni di Stefano has called upon the Marr brothers to follow his example and resign from the board of Dundee.
The controversial lawyer has stepped down ahead of the debt-stricken club's annual general meeting, scheduled for 15 February.

Meanwhile, administrator Tom Burton is talking with a consortium of Lithuanian businessmen with a view to buying the club.
The Lithuanians want to use Dens Park to showcase talent from the Baltic state.
"

A bunch of Lithuanians....
Can't wait to see the TV movie on CBS....

"See the story of a dodgy Italian who, without consultation of others, signs top Serie A players and then doesn't pay them. Watch how the club that went into administration after this is then sold to some Lithuanians who use the club as a cover for their prostitiution slavery trade of eastern european women into Scotland**."

**Some of the story has been dramatized for television and may not have happened.
- Look, you believed that crap we did about Jessica Lynch !

DaveC Jan 23rd 2004 2:55 am

Originally posted by Webbie
As long as the team winning the First Division meets the criteria for promotion to the SPL, i.e. has its own stadium with at least 10k seats and undersoil heating. You can only be promoted if you've been relegated from the SPL in the last 5 years. Every time one of the other Division One clubs looks like getting promoted the SPL clubs get together to change the criteria.

Hey Webbie, you should work up a script and send it in to NBC, they're taping the last ever episode of Friends tomorrow and they probably have a space in their Fall schedule.

Now Martin "Shocking" O'Neill is defending Hartson. The sooner MON fecks off to Liverpool the better.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...em/3418041.stm

Haggischomper Jan 23rd 2004 7:56 am

Think O'Neill would be more likely to end up at Man Utd - apparently, he is in pretty thick with these Irish horse-racing fellas who are buying up shares at a helluva rate. They are the one's who are currently fighting with Sir Fergie.

O'Neill's backing of Hartson borders on the ludicrous - I have lost all respect for the man now. It was assault, plain and simple.

DaveC Jan 23rd 2004 3:47 pm

Originally posted by Haggischomper
Think O'Neill would be more likely to end up at Man Utd - apparently, he is in pretty thick with these Irish horse-racing fellas who are buying up shares at a helluva rate. They are the one's who are currently fighting with Sir Fergie.

O'Neill's backing of Hartson borders on the ludicrous - I have lost all respect for the man now. It was assault, plain and simple.
I thought MON would end up at Old Trafford at some point too, but not immediately after Ferguson. The expectation on his successor to deliver would be huge, I could see MON going to Utd after the successor failed. But after threatening to retire, Ferguson appears to show no signs of leaving and I can't see MON managing the Timothys indefinitely.