British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British Football thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-football-thread-180431/)

Manc Jan 29th 2004 3:28 am

piss on my chips why don't you.

Webbie Jan 29th 2004 5:10 am

Originally posted by manc1976
piss on my chips why don't you.
I'm sorry Manc but someone had to do it.
You were getting hysterical.

Seeing the Rags (probably reserves/youth team) play in Chicago indeed....
....you'll be thinking that looking for He3 on Mars is a good idea next. ;)

Manc Jan 29th 2004 5:16 am

Originally posted by Webbie
I'm sorry Manc but someone had to do it.
You were getting hysterical.

Seeing the Rags (probably reserves/youth team) play in Chicago indeed....
....you'll be thinking that looking for He3 on Mars is a good idea next. ;)
Which red crap do we talk about first then?

ScousePete Jan 29th 2004 5:38 am

Originally posted by Webbie
Are you that desparate to see a footie match ?

*Shakes head in dissapointment*

AND....AND !
Have you forgotten that there's a certain football tournament in Portugal happening at the same time ?
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...aw/default.stm

If England get through to the quarters then they would be playing 24th or 25th.

Do you want me to mail your missus and ask her to give you a smack round the back of yer head ? !
;) :p
Different month, mate.

The quarters are June 24-27, the US tour is July 25-31. You still couldn't drag me to watch the mancs though. :)

Webbie Jan 29th 2004 6:10 am

Originally posted by ScousePete
Different month, mate.

The quarters are June 24-27, the US tour is July 25-31. You still couldn't drag me to watch the mancs though. :)
*Shhhhhhhhh !....* (I'm hoping he won't notice)

;)

Manc Jan 29th 2004 6:53 am

take the piss out of the fat manc why don't you.

tony_2003 Jan 29th 2004 8:01 am

take the piss out of the fat manc why don't you.

Now funny you should say that...
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/e...er/3441293.stm :D :D

Manc Jan 29th 2004 8:47 am

yeah I seen that, not me in the pic though, wouldn't been seen dead in a vest like that ;)

Webbie Jan 29th 2004 9:15 am

Well according to the Scotsman online - Midlanders ate all the pies
http://news.scotsman.com/uk.cfm?id=112462004
:confused:

And I hold my hand up Manc - I cocked up on the dates.
I was trying to cover up and make it look like I was messing with you but I didn't look close enough and Pete caught me out. :p

So go to yer footie Manc.

and take your cat with you !
http://www.nanvaent.org/people/fairb.../mancs_cat.gif

Yeah I know...disgusting isn't it... making a cat wear that shirt.

tony_2003 Jan 30th 2004 2:31 am

Weekend fixtures...

Sat Jan 31 2004
Barclaycard Premiership

Man Utd v Southampton 12:30
Portsmouth v Wolves 15:00
Birmingham v Newcastle 15:00
Charlton v Bolton 15:00
Fulham v Tottenham 15:00
Leeds United v Middlesbrough 15:00
Leicester City v Aston Villa 15:00
Liverpool v Everton 15:00

Bank of Scotland Scottish Premier League
Celtic v Kilmarnock 15:00
Dundee Utd v Dunfermline 15:00
Hibernian v Dundee 15:00
Livingston v Hearts 15:00
Motherwell v Aberdeen 15:00

Sun Feb 01 2004
Barclaycard Premiership

Blackburn v Chelsea 14:00
Arsenal v Man City 16:05

Bank of Scotland Scottish Premier League
Partick Thistle v Rangers 15:00

DaveC Jan 30th 2004 4:13 am

Motherwell shirt plea

Hey Haggischomper, just tell your boys to run faster!! Mind you they probably won't have to break a sweat tomorrow.

From the BBC Website:

"Cash-strapped Motherwell have appealed for fans to hand over their replica shirts after kit-makers Xara could not supply any additional tops.

The Fir Park club, who are fighting to come out of administration, do not have enough long-sleeved shirts for the winter schedule.

Supporters will receive a signed short-sleeved shirt in return.

Motherwell manager Terry Butcher said: "We have been delighted with the response to the SOS from our fans."

Recent signing Phil O'Donnell was the first to benefit when he borrowed a shirt belonging to fan Craig Steele."

Manc Jan 30th 2004 4:26 am

Lets talk about Leeds United...........................

Talk about up the creek with no paddle,

It is a big shame that a city such as Leeds could be left with no professional football team.
Ridsdale should be hung. Barnsley to go next?

Webbie Jan 30th 2004 4:39 am

Lets talk about Leeds United...........................

Talk about up the creek with no paddle,

It is a big shame that a city such as Leeds could be left with no professional football team.
Ridsdale should be hung. Barnsley to go next?
Leeds given new reprieve
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...ed/3428627.stm
"Leeds United have extended their 'standstill agreement' with creditors for one more week.
The Premiership's bottom club needed to raise £5m by 30 January to avoid going into administration.

Chief executive Trevor Birch agreed to defer payments to the club's players and former managers while a transfer fee was agreed for Danny Mills.
That gave Birch more time to negotiate with a Yorkshire based consortium about a £20m takeover of the club.
A statement from the club on Friday read: "The board of Leeds United plc announces that it has met the financial and other covenants (described in its announcements on 19 and 26 January 2004) and as a result the standstill period now extends to 6 February 2004."
Leeds have debts totalling as much as £100m but the players agreed to defer "more than 20%" of their wages.
Their unanimous move followed agreements with ex-managers Peter Reid, Terry Venables and David O'Leary to defer severance payments adding up to £1m.
Manchester United gave Leeds £1.5m as a final settlement on the Rio Ferdinand transfer fee and a further £1.5m is set to come from Middlesbrough as a fee for Danny Mills.
But it was the players' decision to defer wages which provided the breakthrough.

"The board understands this has been very difficult for the players and this request was made as an absolute last resort," Birch said.
"The players' actions demonstrate their commitment and understanding and gives Leeds United a massive lift as we look towards the rest of the season.
"There are 16 games left for Leeds United to fight for survival in the Premier League.
"The board, employees, players and supporters should now pull together and do whatever they can to achieve this goal."

Premier League has copied the SPL thing about deduction points from a team in administration after this season.
Looks like Leeds are going the way of Dundee.
"We're doooooooooooooomed !"

-----
I'm moving house this weekend.
COME ON CITY !
GO PANTHERS !
(for Sunday)

DaveC Jan 31st 2004 2:01 am

Matches off due to winter weather:

Livingston v Hearts
Motherwell v Aberdeen

Not that some of you will care but it was a cracking soccer game between the Uniteds of Manchester and the South-hampton this morning. Howard pulled off an amazing "Billy the Fish" style save but later on he dropped an easy catch. Unfortunately none of the Southampton offensive line were able to capitalise on that error.

Haggischomper Feb 1st 2004 8:05 pm

Re: Motherwell shirt plea

Originally posted by DaveC
Hey Haggischomper, just tell your boys to run faster!! Mind you they probably won't have to break a sweat tomorrow.

From the BBC Website:

"Cash-strapped Motherwell have appealed for fans to hand over their replica shirts after kit-makers Xara could not supply any additional tops.

The Fir Park club, who are fighting to come out of administration, do not have enough long-sleeved shirts for the winter schedule.

Supporters will receive a signed short-sleeved shirt in return.

Motherwell manager Terry Butcher said: "We have been delighted with the response to the SOS from our fans."

Recent signing Phil O'Donnell was the first to benefit when he borrowed a shirt belonging to fan Craig Steele."
Went to the game only to find out when I got as far as a taxi in Hamilton at 2.45pm that the game had been called off. Ended up watching Accies v East Fife instead. There's a mistake I'll never make again!! Never again will I complain about the SPL.

Anyway, re the shirt thing - it's nowhere near as bad as the media are making out. Below is from the Daily Ranger with a reply from one of the 'Well message boards. Interesting....

FOOTBALL: DON'T SLEEVE US SHORT Jan 30 2004

Well ask fans for strips after running out of arm-length tops

By Anthony Haggerty (remember the name)

SKINT Motherwell are asking for the shirts off their fans' backs after running out of long sleeved tops.

The Fir Park club have appealed to supporters to donate strips with full arms to help keep their players keep warm during the freeze.

Red-faced Well realised Egyptian manufacturers Xara hadn't supplied enough of the tops when they signed Phil O'Donnell and had to ask fan Craig Steele to hand over one he had bought for himself. Now the club, preparing to come out of financial administration by the end of the season, are asking other supporters to donate their jerseys in return for short sleeved shirts signed by the players.

Motherwell fanzine editor Matt Johnstone insists the situation is both serious but laughable. He said:

''Personally I think the situation with the strips is a riot. In what other football league in the world apart from Scotland would a club run out of first-team kits?

''It's a scream. Motherwell signed Phil O'Donnell recently and had to rely on a fan to donate along-sleeved kit as they did not have one for him.

''These kits are made by Xara and come all the way from Egypt so it will probably take another six months before a new batch arrives!''

Well kitman Alan McDonald refused to comment on the issue for fear of upsetting kit sponsors Xara.

A club spokesman did confirm to Record Sport: ''We do not wish this to reflect badly on our shirt sponsors but it is true we have appealed to fans with long-sleeved shirts to come forward and donate their jerseys.''
------------------------------------------------------

Well, let's pick the bones from this shall we Anthony. First of all, the term “skint Motherwell� albeit a good adjective has no relevance to this story and you’re sensationalistic approaches in the first two words sets the tone for your story.

"Red-faced Well realised Egyptian manufacturers Xara hadn't supplied enough of the tops when they signed Phil O'Donnell and had to ask fan Craig Steele to hand over one he had bought for himself"

Another half-truth im afraid. Motherwell were not red-faced at all, as im sure when you were scurrying these boards for info, would have realised that has nothing to do with a last second realisation that we had no kits for Phil O'Donnell and more to do with a supply and demand problem from Xara. In fact, if you had checked your facts, Paul Quinn and Shaun Fagan are also looking for long-sleeved tops and both have been at the club for a number of years. They never asked Craig Steele for his top at all. They asked me, who put out a request (on this board and others), and Craig replied. I then put him in contact with Alan McDonald (the kit man) and the top was then exchanged.

As far as Matt Johnstone's "quotes" are concerned... I have known Matt for a while now, and as soon as you phoned him, he phoned me. He told me what he said, and it is somewhat different to what you reported...in fact, it is totally different to what you reported, but hey, it would be the first time your paper has mis-quoted him.

I know you get paid to come up with stories Mr. Haggerty, and the fact you used a "tad" of creative license doesn’t surprise me. Hey, why let the truth/facts get in the way of a good story. Your rival paper "The Sun" seemed fit to deliver a tad more balanced story, rather than trying to paint MFC in the worst possible terms. If you want to respond, you can do it here, or I would be more than happy to take your comments at [email protected]