British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British Football thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-football-thread-180431/)

doctor scrumpy Feb 1st 2004 9:27 pm

My only suprise is that u expected a jornalist to be bothered to do his research and report the real truth at all !

All the best to the 'Well.

tony_2003 Feb 2nd 2004 10:49 am

Pretty disgusting piece of journalism even by the Daily Hun standards. The thing is his full story makes him a walking contradiction, he makes it sound as though Motherwell's financial situation is the cause of the lack of shirts, when it's clearly not! The piece makes him look like a bufoon at the very least!

Webbie Feb 3rd 2004 6:14 am

Well we moved house successfully but the computer didn't like it. (The power/transformer making a loud BUZZZZZZZZZZZ sound)
Currently on a borrowed computer.

The Midweeks:

TUESDAY:
FA Cup 4th Round Replay -
Colchester v Coventry City
(winner to play Sheff Utd away)

League Cup Semi-Final - 2nd Leg -
Middlesbrough v Arsenal
(first leg - 1-0 to the 'boro)

CIS Insurance Cup Semi-Final -
Dundee (in debt) v Livingston (in administration)

WEDNESDAY:
FA Cup 4th Round Replays -
Fulham v Everton
(winner home to West Ham next round)

Tottenham v Man City
(winner away to the Rags next round)

FA Cup Fourth Round
Telford v Millwall
(Might not go ahead - having a pitch inspection)

THURSDAY:
CIS Insurance Cup Semi-Final
Hibernian v Rangers
--------------------------

Back online (at home) soon hopefully.

tony_2003 Feb 3rd 2004 7:01 am

Uefa rejects Wales appeal
"Wales have failed to have Russia thrown out of the Euro 2004 finals.

Uefa has decided that Russia's Euro 2004 play-off win against Wales will stand despite Egor Titov's failed drug test.

...etc"

Can't say I'm surprised. It would set a precedent for anyone to try and get in the backdoor if the vodka drinkers were dumped, tons of countries would start complaining about this and that. I do feel Wales have a point, but it was never gonna happen.

tony_2003 Feb 3rd 2004 7:03 am

Originally posted by Webbie
THURSDAY:
CIS Insurance Cup Semi-Final
Hibernian v Rangers
As much as I hate to say this...C'MON THE GERS!!!

Manc Feb 3rd 2004 7:07 am

Originally posted by tony_2003
Uefa rejects Wales appeal
It would set a precedent for anyone to try and get in the backdoor if the vodka drinkers were dumped,
The precedent was already set a few years back when Stuttgart fielded an ineligible player against Leeds and had the tie replayed in Barcelona in which Leeds ultimately won.
And remember when Denmark got in the backdoor of Euro92 and ended up winning the whole thing

whatever Feb 3rd 2004 7:35 am

The Middlesbrough v Arsenal game is on as I type - My ol' man is glued to the screen (we're in UK).... and I'm wondering if I will have to endure......... sorry I mean, if he will be able to enjoy these matches once we have moved out there in March ;)

Are you able to see this match on Foxsports???

Manc Feb 3rd 2004 7:52 am

Originally posted by whatever

Are you able to see this match on Foxsports???
Get satellite when you move out. A lot of the Cable packages don't offer Fox Sports World.
The sports pack cost around $10 per month extra.

DaveC Feb 3rd 2004 8:22 am

Oi, Tony!

How dare you suggest that Homer Simpson is a Hearts fan when he is in fact an Aberdeen FC fan? In episode AABF17 "Monty Can't Buy Me Love" whilst standing on the shore of Loch Ness, Homer is clearly heard to say "Aberdeen Rules!" Groundskeeper Willie is a fan too:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/co...name_page.html

whatever Feb 3rd 2004 9:20 am

Originally posted by manc1976
Get satellite when you move out. A lot of the Cable packages don't offer Fox Sports World.
The sports pack cost around $10 per month extra.
Cheers fella.
Tell me - how much approx does it cost to get satellite (install and packages etc...?) - as obviously this is going to be essential ;)

Manc Feb 3rd 2004 11:01 am

There are a lot of great deals, 2/3 room packages for in and around $150 installed (they say it's free, but usually a $150 deposit.) and usually get HBO/Showtime thrown in there for about 3 months.

Having had Satellite for 2 years now I wouldn't go back to Cable.

My satelitte bill runs basically as follows per month

Total choice extra package
(basic channels plus VH1classic/discovery wings/discovery science blah blah) $35 per month
Local Channels Fox and ABC $5 per month
Sports Pack (including Fox Sports World, and all Fox Sports Net affiliates) $10 per month.

Do expect big games like FA Cup final, Community Shield, Selected Premiershit games on Saturday (6am/10am Eastern depending upon 11am or 3pm UK kick off) to be on Pay Per View only. (around $19.99 per game)
Also Fox Sports World shows a tape delayed different game at 12pm noon on Saturday.
Monday games are on at 2pm EST on Fox sports world.
The World cup in Japan had certain games on ESPN. I did however have to watch one game on Galavision with Spanish commontary. Scorchio!

Manc Feb 3rd 2004 11:16 am

oh and Sky sports news is on daily on Fox Sports World.

tony_2003 Feb 3rd 2004 12:55 pm

Re: Oi, Tony!

Originally posted by DaveC
How dare you suggest that Homer Simpson is a Hearts fan when he is in fact an Aberdeen FC fan? In episode AABF17 "Monty Can't Buy Me Love" whilst standing on the shore of Loch Ness, Homer is clearly heard to say "Aberdeen Rules!" Groundskeeper Willie is a fan too:

http://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/co...name_page.html
Sorry dave, that pic was taken 3 weeks ago by my mate phil at the Hearts thistle game. You can have yer willie though. :D

whatever Feb 4th 2004 12:26 am

Originally posted by manc1976
There are a lot of great deals, 2/3 room packages for in and around $150 installed (they say it's free, but usually a $150 deposit.) and usually get HBO/Showtime thrown in there for about 3 months.

Having had Satellite for 2 years now I wouldn't go back to Cable.

My satelitte bill runs basically as follows per month

Total choice extra package
(basic channels plus VH1classic/discovery wings/discovery science blah blah) $35 per month
Local Channels Fox and ABC $5 per month
Sports Pack (including Fox Sports World, and all Fox Sports Net affiliates) $10 per month.

Do expect big games like FA Cup final, Community Shield, Selected Premiershit games on Saturday (6am/10am Eastern depending upon 11am or 3pm UK kick off) to be on Pay Per View only. (around $19.99 per game)
Also Fox Sports World shows a tape delayed different game at 12pm noon on Saturday.
Monday games are on at 2pm EST on Fox sports world.
The World cup in Japan had certain games on ESPN. I did however have to watch one game on Galavision with Spanish commontary. Scorchio!
Well we reckon that all works out pretty reasonable compared to the prices we're paying NTL here in the UK.
Thanks loads for the info! Needless to say huz is happy not to have to give up his footie... (now I just have to find a way to see Eastenders!!!... but let's not start THAT thread again) :D

Webbie Feb 4th 2004 4:09 am

Potential scandals coming up ?
==>
Transfer corruption 'rife'
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/3444871.stm
Illegal transfer dealings are rife within English football, a high-profile agent tells BBC Sport.

The agent, who spoke on condition of anonymity, told BBC Sport that both clubs and agents routinely break both Fifa and Football Association rules - and get away scot-free.

The agent claims that:
- Players are frequently tapped up illegally by other clubs
- Unlicensed agents operate throughout the game
- Certain agents illegally attempt to steal other agents' players.

---------
Irish duo seek Ferguson tapes
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...td/3457653.stm
Lawyers acting for John Magnier and JP McManus ask for transcripts of Sir Alex Ferguson's press conference.

On Friday Ferguson spoke out for the first time about the ongoing dispute with United's major shareholders.
The pair questioned United's transfer dealings, some of which are said to have involved Jason Ferguson's Elite Sports Agency.

Ferguson said his son had called in police because people had been stealing his mail and going through his rubbish.

-----------
Football agents - seem to be as sleazy as politicians.