British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   British Football thread (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/british-football-thread-180431/)

Webbie Jan 15th 2004 1:23 pm

Originally posted by tony_2003
Yeah I'm looking forward to that series, I'm a fan of both of those bands...a tour would be great as well. Wouldnt mind seeing Talking Heads again too, but David Byrne is quite a busy man with movie soundtracks and stuff. I take it you're a big New Wave fan then webbie? I have a proverbial sh**load of mp3's if you are looking for anything...tons of the 12" stuff etc.
As you can probably tell I'm still in the 80's. http://ordinary-girl.com/smilies/dance.gif
Used to be a DJ many years ago and shipped over a few thousand records and about 5000 CD's (we had more music items than clothes !) so I've probably got everything.
But if I have trouble finding something I'll give you a shout.

Back to football again:
Chelski have jumped in to grab Louis Saha away from Mancy.
Loadamoney are offering £18 mil as opposed to £9.8 mil from Fergie's lot.

What worries me about this current bidding is that Chelski are going the way of the big Italian Serie A clubs and just buying the best players away from the competition even though they don't probably need them.
Don't know how much longer this Russian is going to bankroll all of this. Got to end some time.
Expect receivership in a few years when they don't win anything and Ruski says there's no more money ?

tony_2003 Jan 15th 2004 4:48 pm

Originally posted by Webbie
Back to football again:
Chelski have jumped in to grab Louis Saha away from Mancy.
Loadamoney are offering £18 mil as opposed to £9.8 mil from Fergie's lot.

Expect receivership in a few years when they don't win anything and Ruski says there's no more money ?
A classic case waiting to happen. Rangers are currently in debt of something around 50 million because they bought players for big bux and they either turned out shit or just didnt fit into the scottish game. Now I would LOVE to see THEM in receivership soon :mad:

Webbie Jan 16th 2004 8:34 pm

A classic case waiting to happen. Rangers are currently in debt of something around 50 million because they bought players for big bux and they either turned out shit or just didnt fit into the scottish game. Now I would LOVE to see THEM in receivership soon :mad:
You'd have thought they would have looked at the current situation at Leeds and learned from that, but no.

==>
Footie News:
Rio Fergie Fighting His Ban
Rio Ferdinand will contest his ban for missing a drugs test, but wants to begin his suspension in the meantime.
That's because he knows he's f**cked. One of the tabloids has a story of him asking to be tested again - he wants the FA to test his hair. okaaaay....

Boro Face Heskey Battle
Liverpool boss Gerard Houllier rejects Middlesbrough's bid to sign Emile Heskey.
"...But McClaren will not give up, saying: "When we're looking in the January window and we need to score goals, I think there are two types of strikers you can look at and try to buy."

So McClaren is going for the other type of striker then - the one that looks pretty on the ball but doesn't score.

Selected Weekend Fixtures:
EPL:
Black Country v Newton Heath 12:30
Horwich v Pompy
Kirkdale v Charlton
Eastlands, MCR v 4000 Holes
Middlesborororogh v Leicesterershire
South****inghampton v Bottom of the table.
Not Trapattoni v Liverland

1st Div:
Elton John v Chrysalis Records
(well it was a few years ago)

2nd Div:
Luton Airport v Edgeley Park
Tony Adams Park v Tower Ballroom
(Trouble at mill at Blackpool, btw
Steve McMahon resigned then half an hour later withdrew it.)

3rd Div:
Carlisle (soon to be non-league) v Yeovil (ex non-league)

DM Prem:
West Leigh (Havant) v Welling

Unibond Prem:
LA 14 v Gainsborough

SPL:
Dundee Utd v Aberdeen
Kilmarnock v Dunfermline
Livingston v Hibernian
Partick Thistle v Dundee
(Partick chairman said a few days ago that if Dundee go into administration they should be relegated. Should be a good game.
Rangers v Motherwell

Playing Sunday:
Aston Villa v Arsenal - 14:00
Chelsea v Brum - 16:05

Hearts v Celtic - 15:00

Manc Jan 16th 2004 8:37 pm

2nd Div:
Luton Airport v Edgeley Park
The Hatters v The Hatters

Or

Luton Airport v Ringway Approach path.

Manc Jan 16th 2004 8:41 pm

http://www.gla.ac.uk/~cmc1z/index/mi...gers_crest.gif

from the Henrik Tongue website, or something or other.

Webbie Jan 16th 2004 9:12 pm

Originally posted by manc1976
The Hatters v The Hatters

Or

Luton Airport v Ringway Approach path.
Nice ones.

Changing football for a sec:
Go Panthers for Sunday. Superbowl here we come.

DaveC Jan 16th 2004 9:20 pm

You'd have thought they would have looked at the current situation at Leeds and learned from that, but no.
The root causes of the two clubs' situations may be the same, but I don't think you can draw too many comparisons between the current situation with the Huns and Leeds at all. Rangers apparently aren't in danger of being forced into administration, mores the pity, they have some pretty strong revenue streams.

Here's what the Blue Meanies' chairman has to say on the subject of the debt at Castle Greyskull.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/foot...rs/3405121.stm

Manc Jan 16th 2004 9:36 pm

FIFA gobshite

Sepp Blatter, erm...........

LONDON (AP) -- Here's a fashion tip sure to make female soccer players uncomfortable: The sport's chief suggests they slip into something a little tighter on the field.

FIFA president Sepp Blatter said women should consider wearing more revealing uniforms, such as skimpier shorts, to bring more attention to the game. At least one top player called the advice ``ridiculous'' and ``irresponsible.''

Blatter said women's soccer needs different sponsors from the men's game and should try to attract fashion and cosmetics companies by featuring ``more feminine uniforms.''

``Tighter shorts, for example,'' Blatter told the Swiss newspaper SonntagsBlick. ``In volleyball the women also wear other uniforms than the men. Pretty women are playing football today. Excuse me for saying that.''

Brandi Chastain created the signature moment at the 1999 Women's World Cup when she removed her shirt to reveal a sports bra, celebrating her winning kick in the U.S. victory over China in the title game.

The suggestion by Blatter raises an issue that has confronted women's sports -- particularly tennis and golf -- for some time. Do the players need to draw on their sex appeal to make their game more appealing to a mostly male audience, or should their athletic achievements stand on their own?

England goalkeeper Pauline Cope called Blatter's advice ``typical of a bloke.''

``To say we should play football in hot pants is plain ridiculous,'' she said. ``It's completely irresponsible for a man in a powerful position to make comments like this.''

FIFA spokesman Andreas Herren said Friday that Blatter never mentioned the word ``hot pants.''

``The remarks were by no means meant to be offensive -- not at all,'' Herren said. ``Whatever he said, it was more a general remark, 'Let's take a look at that.' But it's not the ultimate recipe to salvage the women's game because he went on to say women's football has established itself and it has a future.''

Swiss captain Evelyn Zimmermann and Norwegian players Lise Klaveness and Solveig Gulbrandsen also spurned Blatter's fashion tip.

``You can't compare us with volleyball players and, apart from everything else, those shorts are uncomfortable,'' Zimmermann said.

Klaveness said soccer is about sport, not sex.

``If the crowd only wants to come and watch models then they should go and buy a copy of Playboy,'' she said.

The man is obviously a gobshite, but I kinda half heartedly agree with him

tony_2003 Jan 16th 2004 10:45 pm

I'm sure there masonic connections around the globe would see that they never face administration. Nice badge though.

Webbie Jan 17th 2004 2:12 pm

EPL:
Black Country v Newton Heath 12:30
Early footie result:

Wolves 1-0 Man Utd
"Kenny Miller gave Wolves the shock result of the Premiership season to dent Manchester United's title hopes.
Miller's measured second-half finish stunned the champions and revived Wolves' hopes of avoiding relegation.
Sir Alex Ferguson's side dominated possession, but Miller raced clear to score in the 66th minute.
United, who lost injured Rio Ferdinand as he starts an eight-month ban, were also fortunate when veteran former midfield man Paul Ince struck a post."

Get in there !
Kenny Miller - Man of the week.

WBB Jan 17th 2004 6:31 pm

great result for all true football fans!

:beer:

RoB1833 Jan 17th 2004 6:48 pm

Hmmm...... coming from a Welshman that supports Newcatle??? :confused:

WBB Jan 17th 2004 7:06 pm

Originally posted by RoB1833
Hmmm...... coming from a Welshman that supports Newcatle??? :confused:
i know i know, i should support men united coming from wales!

:o :rolleyes:

Webbie Jan 18th 2004 3:24 pm

I'm sure there masonic connections around the globe would see that they never face administration. Nice badge though.
Carrying on with the football/receivership thing ->

Leeds were in talks for a new sponsorship a few years ago...
http://members.lycos.co.uk/lifetree/lufc.jpg
Didn't work out for some reason. ;)

tony_2003 Jan 19th 2004 12:31 am

A couple of results from today.

Barclaycard Premiership
Chelsea 0 - 0 Birmingham
Aston Villa 0 - 2 Arsenal

Bank of Scotland Scottish Premier League
Hearts 0 - 1 Celtic :rolleyes:

----------P GD PTS
1 Arsenal 22 28 52
2 Man Utd 22 25 50
3 Chelsea 22 23 46

Are Chelsea out of it yet? Probably not but I see the gap between them and the other 2 widening in the coming weeks.