Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

British Football thread

British Football thread

Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:02 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: British Football thread

Originally Posted by Bob
Rugby League team St Helens may have stumbled across the secret formula for sporting success - employing overweight comedians.
Congratulations Bob. Previously on the British Football thread we've deviated from proper football into discussing many other oddly shaped balls, but I think that you are the first to mention Rugby League.
Originally Posted by tony_2003
We've either signed our own death certificate or made a great step. Personally i'm glad we went through with it...it's wait and see time.
The new regime is certainly ambitious when they talk about winning the league in 4 years. It's time to walk the talk and prove that they weren't just telling Hearts fans what they wanted to hear.

I see that UEFA are trying to put a minimum limit of 4 homegrown players per squad for Euro Comps and then rolloing it out to domestic leagues. Wonder how successful that will be this time. I remember about 10 years ago they allowed a maximum of 3 foreigners to play in a team competing in European competitions? It was known as the "8 Diddies" rule north of the border.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 1:26 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DaveC
I see that UEFA are trying to put a minimum limit of 4 homegrown players per squad for Euro Comps and then rolloing it out to domestic leagues. Wonder how successful that will be this time. I remember about 10 years ago they allowed a maximum of 3 foreigners to play in a team competing in European competitions? It was known as the "8 Diddies" rule north of the border.
yeah, i briefly remember that...could be interesting for arsenal, man u and chealsea...

as for the rugger...yeah, well it was a funny pic
Old Feb 4th 2005, 2:33 am
100% Pure

DaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond reputeDaveC has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
yeah, i briefly remember that...could be interesting for arsenal, man u and chealsea...

as for the rugger...yeah, well it was a funny pic
According to the beeb
Of the 32 sides in last season's Champions League, five clubs would have not had enough homegrown players.

They are: Arsenal, Chelsea, Celtic, Rangers and Ajax.

We can expect a legal challenge to these plans:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/foot...pe/4234761.stm

Bah, I just tuned in for my nightly fix of Fox Sports World and the buggers have finally wised up to the fact I've been getting it free for the last 4 months and blocked it. Oh well I suppose I should legitimately order it.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 2:56 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

What is it with Edinburgh and Aberdeen ?
Both cities always seem to finish behind Glasgow - even with the TV licences.
"Glasgow has maintained its position at the top of Scotland's television licence "League of Shame".

Almost 19,000 peole were caught without licences in the city last year - three times as many as in Edinburgh, which was second in the table.

The figures from TV Licensing put Aberdeen in third place, followed by Dundee, Paisley and Kilmarnock in positions unchanged from last year.
Just like yer fitba teams...

Tomorrow's Sun:
*The bloke who was 'attacked' by Pete Doherty "came at me with a sword" says Pete. Allegedly, Max Carlish sold the pics of Pete smoking crack to the tabloids and promised Pete half the cash, which he then reneged on. Mr Carlish has withdrawn his charges because he does not want Pete's death "on his conscience"
*The Navy repeal their ban on pictures of Page 3 girls being put on their ships
*Abi Titmuss apes Demi Moore's erotic pottery scene from Ghost for a TV comedy, the Friday Night Project.
*A bloke from Teeside has been banned from petrol stations because he cuts fuel lines and drinks the petrol, saying it gives him a similar high to alcohol
*Littlejohn: Twat
*After Chelsea players were pictured shirtless and bare-chested yesterday, the Sun asks whether "Hair or Bare" is best on a man - using a picture of Ron "Chopper" Harris as the example of hair.
*Morrissey has snubbed Robbie Williams. The pair were supposed to sing a duet at the Brits, but Stephen pulled out.
*Sadie and Jackson are "on the rocks" says La Newton - after the fallout from wife-swapping allegations.
*P Diddy is to become the face of anti-acne cream Proactiv Solution in the US
*Ant and Dec are to host a 'celebrity Ryder Cup' golf tournament for telly in the Summer. Derek, CZJ, Jodie Kidd and Boris Beckham are among those invited.
*Katie Price (Jordan) wants to be the UK entry for the Eurovision song contest. (Link SFW)
*George and Lynne: Naked Lynne gossips in a changing room, filled with naked women
(It's a cartoon so SFW ?)

*Changing trousers for a sec...*

Worst band name ever - nominations please.

I can think of two really bad ones off the top of my head right now:

- Fell Of A Scaffold
- Collapsed Lung

But can you do better....?

(Who used to say that ?)
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:33 am
A lion in your lap

elfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond reputeelfman has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Webbie
What is
Worst band name ever - nominations please.
Butthole Surfers
Sigue Sigue Sputnik
Sultans of Ping FC
The Cardigans
Dave Matthews Band

Might think of a few more overnight.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:41 am
Through the square window

Webbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond reputeWebbie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by elfman
Butthole Surfers
Sigue Sigue Sputnik
Sultans of Ping FC
The Cardigans
Dave Matthews Band

I'm looking for the more offensive names (cf. Collapsed Lung) than the silliest.

Got a couple more:

- Slits.
- Brain Damage.
Old Feb 4th 2005, 3:49 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

chumbawumba
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:10 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Smif & Wessun....thought they got sued by the gun company and had to change there name and was never heard of since.....shame...
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:17 am
Just Joined

fuzzylogic will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by elfman
Butthole Surfers
Sigue Sigue Sputnik
Sultans of Ping FC
The Cardigans
Dave Matthews Band

Here's a couple more...

Cherry Poppin' Daddies
The 4 skins

Hope i haven't offended anyone.... especially on my first post!
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:17 am
@matthewb76

Manc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond reputeManc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by fuzzylogic
Here's a couple more...

Cherry Poppin' Daddies
The 4 skins

Hope i haven't offended anyone.... especially on my first post!
hi

where from and who do you support?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:24 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
hi

where from and who do you support?

Living in LA, support Liverpool originaly from Chester, what about yourself? United or City?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:25 am
@matthewb76

Living in LA, support Liverpool originaly from Chester, what about yourself? United or City?
neither
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:27 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Manc
neither
Who's yer team then?
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:27 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Here's a couple more...
welcome to the site
Old Feb 4th 2005, 4:29 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Bob
welcome to the site
Thanks Bob

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.