Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Brazilian family intends to sue police

Wikiposts

Brazilian family intends to sue police

Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:15 am
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Bralian family intends to sue police

Originally Posted by Manc
If you value your life, get life insurance.
Do you sell it ....
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:16 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by krizzy
That seems very little....do they not take into account how badly someone was hurt.....or if they died........?
I believe the money is coming from the fund that was raised after the attacks, so I'm guessing they only have a certain amount to allocate.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute

why should they receive government benefits?

my mum just died, she got nowt from the government.

Is bombing covered in the small print.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:17 am
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

I wonder if the Brazilian guy had life insurance? Or maybe they refused to insure him, since he wasn't exactly the brightest chap
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:18 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

why should they receive government benefits?

my mum just died, she got nowt from the government.

I wondered were you were....

I agree with you.....sort of....but if they are offering money.......why rub salt in the wound by giving so little........not taking into account death and injury......

I'm really on the fence with this one.......
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:19 am
Re vera, potas bene.

krizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond reputekrizzy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I believe the money is coming from the fund that was raised after the attacks, so I'm guessing they only have a certain amount to allocate.

So is it Gov money or from the public........?
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:20 am
BE Forum Addict

CitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond reputeCitySimon has a reputation beyond repute

That seems very little....do they not take into account how badly someone was hurt.....or if they died........?
I would say that the amounts quoted are based on standard levels of compensation.

If the victims (or their families) sued somebody, they would probably get a lot more money... One question though... Who would they sue? The bombers?

The fact that the government is looking at giving anything is very gracious of them based on the fact that they are not responsible for the bombings.

With regards to the level of compensation to the Brazilian guy... I would expect that it will end up being considerably more than 5000! This family has lost an income which, from what I read, was being sent home to his family to help pay for is fathers medical costs.

I would be very suprised if this went to court.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:20 am
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by Mercedes
Is bombing covered in the small print.
Good point.....acts of war or terror....would they be covered...???
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:23 am
Keeping it fairly real

walla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond reputewalla has a reputation beyond repute

I'm going to bed now, can I be sued for that?
Re vera, potas bene.

Originally Posted by CitySimon
I would say that the amounts quoted are based on standard levels of compensation.

If the victims (or their families) sued somebody, they would probably get a lot more money... One question though... Who would they sue? The bombers?

The fact that the government is looking at giving anything is very gracious of them based on the fact that they are not responsible for the bombings.

With regards to the level of compensation to the Brazilian guy... I would expect that it will end up being considerably more than 5000! This family has lost an income which, from what I read, was being sent home to his family to help pay for is fathers medical costs.

But why should his family get more........I'm sure a lot of bread winning English people died in the bombings.......and why is the Gov not responsible ..surely its part of their job is to keep us safe....??
BE Forum Addict

Mercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond reputeMercedes has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Brazilian family intends to sue police

Maybe the Lottery can donate some money, they're making enough.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:26 am
BE Forum Addict

But why should his family get more........I'm sure a lot of bread winning English people died in the bombings.......and why is the Gov not responsible ..surely its part of their job is to keep us safe....??

Unless they have scanner in all the stations, etc that see through your clothes how can they make us safer from a suicide bomber with a bomb under their clothes, unless they search every person who enters the station.... or walks along a street or into a building?
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:28 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

anotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond reputeanotherlimey has a reputation beyond repute

So is it Gov money or from the public........?
I think it's money from the public, including people abroad who donated to the fund. But don't quote me on it because I can't find the BBC article.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Originally Posted by anotherlimey
I think it's money from the public, including people abroad who donated to the fund. But don't quote me on it because I can't find the BBC article.
Actually I can...

from: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/london/4716915.stm

He also sought assurances from the government that victims would not pay tax on grants from the £6m relief fund, raised by donations from the public, firms and charities over the past two weeks.

And he said the family of Jean Charles de Menezes, the man who was shot dead by police after being mistaken for a suicide bomber, would also be eligible for a grant.

"He is as much a victim as all the people we are seeing here [at the centre]," said Mr Livingstone.

The Treasury has said there is "absolutely no question" of people paying tax on their grants, the first of which were given out last week.

Bereaved relatives were given £5,000 while grants of £3,000 were given to those hospitalised in the attacks, they will be topped up at a later date.
Old Jul 26th 2005, 3:31 am
Failed Expat ;-)

NJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond reputeNJ_Dave has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CitySimon

The government is not responsible for the family of the Brazilian either. Although the police pulled the trigger, this guy's stupidity was what killed him. The family should just accept whatever apology or token monetary gesture that the government offer them, and try to get on with their lives.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.