Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Wikiposts

Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Old Nov 30th 2012, 8:24 am
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Boy Scouts Medical Requirements

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills
You will learn quickly that there are many things you don't bring up with anyone other than your spouse and other expats. The shock and horror that you would ever give your small child a sip of wine with dinner for example, is best left at home.
I struggled with so many doctor visits when mine were born, I only took them to visits where vaccines were needed, never bothered with any once vaccines were done, unless they were sick. So you aren't alone I find it all invasive.
Both my boys went into scouts here, both did the summer camp, neither needed a physical, but I suppose things change. My oldest needed a physical for College admittance and the second had annual physicals for Swim team in High school. For both it was a 5 min jobby, BP, listen to lungs and heart, and off you go with your signed stamped paper.
Yes - we've re-trenched into keeping ourselves very much to ourselves now. Every time we mention anything that we think of as being normal, we seem to put our foot in it and get told we are WRONG. We lived pretty normal, successful lives in the rest of the world for 40+ years, so we're inclined to believe that it's a massive culture-clash between our values and the predominant values here.

I've lost count of the number of times in two years I've had to stop myself saying "WTF are you on about mate ?" or "Are you sure I haven't dropped through a time-warp" or "No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition..."

Anyway, as our last landlord put it very well, wine is not alcohol - it is an "intrinsic part of every meal...." And it's lunchtime. Cheers !
Old Nov 30th 2012, 8:34 am
BE Enthusiast

dlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond reputedlake02 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dlake02
Yes - we've re-trenched into keeping ourselves very much to ourselves now. Every time we mention anything that we think of as being normal, we seem to put our foot in it and get told we are WRONG. We lived pretty normal, successful lives in the rest of the world for 40+ years, so we're inclined to believe that it's a massive culture-clash between our values and the predominant values here.

I've lost count of the number of times in two years I've had to stop myself saying "WTF are you on about mate ?" or "Are you sure I haven't dropped through a time-warp" or "No-one expects the Spanish Inquisition..."

Anyway, as our last landlord put it very well, wine is not alcohol - it is an "intrinsic part of every meal...." And it's lunchtime. Cheers !
And before any Americans faint with horror or the Feds come round, we drink one glass of wine per person per day (very much under the average) and our son has never and will never touch alcohol whilst on American soil. Last time he had a sip at Christmas back in the UK he declared to his teetotal grandparents "I really don't know why Mum & Dad drink so much of this stuff - it's disgusting." Cheers mate.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 8:54 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

And before any Americans faint with horror or the Feds come round, we drink one glass of wine per person per day (very much under the average) and our son has never and will never touch alcohol whilst on American soil. Last time he had a sip at Christmas back in the UK he declared to his teetotal grandparents "I really don't know why Mum & Dad drink so much of this stuff - it's disgusting." Cheers mate.
Only one glass/day???

Glad to see you're being more positive today! Cheers
Old Nov 30th 2012, 9:39 am
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Heh, I tried to teach my 17-year-old nephew to appreciate single malt Scotch last year because he was bothering the daylights out of me about it. He thought I was the awesomely cool aunt until he finally made up his mind that I was attempting to fool him into believing the overly strong modified vanilla cough syrup I was drinking was intrinsically more pleasurable than that other one, or that one over there. Kids have too many taste buds to like spirits.
Old Nov 30th 2012, 9:50 am
Banned

JRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to allJRG67 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Speedwell
Heh, I tried to teach my 17-year-old nephew to appreciate single malt Scotch last year because he was bothering the daylights out of me about it. He thought I was the awesomely cool aunt until he finally made up his mind that I was attempting to fool him into believing the overly strong modified vanilla cough syrup I was drinking was intrinsically more pleasurable than that other one, or that one over there. Kids have too many taste buds to like spirits.
You had to teach a 17 year old how to drink?? LOL
Old Nov 30th 2012, 12:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by JRG67
Only one glass/day???

Glad to see you're being more positive today! Cheers
Yeah - just the one Mrs Wembley.

Old Nov 30th 2012, 12:17 pm
Banned

Yummy
Old Nov 30th 2012, 12:57 pm
Mouthy Yank

Speedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond reputeSpeedwell has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JRG67
You had to teach a 17 year old how to drink?? LOL
I think I said "appreciate single malt Scotch". But yeah, he is a straight-up religiously devout innocent and good kid; how this family of black sheep turned up a white one escapes me completely.
Old Mar 24th 2013, 1:54 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Jaja1234...I have moved your post into a new thread here.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Sugarmooma
Yes, it helps prevent some strains that cause cancer but as yet not all.
Sugarmooma is correct. There is a vaccine which is directed at HPV - a nice benefit of this is that because some cervical cancers are caused by HPV it cuts the chances of this. However it is NOT a vaccine for cervical cancer. I do remember hearing about it over here (US) but I remember the religious zealots getting hot and bothered because it is a vaccine for an STD.

Smear tests will still be necessary as they are not just done for this one thing. They are done for all cancers and STD's.

Incidentally, us Scots get far more smear tests than poor English ladies - I got one every 2 years and as far as I know that is still the current practice.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 8:25 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gillymonkey
Sugarmooma is correct. There is a vaccine which is directed at HPV - a nice benefit of this is that because some cervical cancers are caused by HPV it cuts the chances of this. However it is NOT a vaccine for cervical cancer. I do remember hearing about it over here (US) but I remember the religious zealots getting hot and bothered because it is a vaccine for an STD.

Smear tests will still be necessary as they are not just done for this one thing. They are done for all cancers and STD's.

Incidentally, us Scots get far more smear tests than poor English ladies - I got one every 2 years and as far as I know that is still the current practice.
I'm English and I have a smear test done every year...so does my sister.
Old Mar 25th 2013, 9:01 am
BE Enthusiast

Gillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond reputeGillymonkey has a reputation beyond repute

I never understand the people that wait 5 years etc. If I think I am due some kind of medical test I just go and book it. I've never been refused even under the NHS!