Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Old Nov 5th 2008, 9:53 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Originally Posted by sunflwrgrl13
I hardly think that'll be on top of his list. And if he did change imm. law, I hardly think that's what he had in mind for 'comprehensive imm. reform'. Anyway why should Brits get to have that privilege? They aren't that special (and I have a Brit OH so don't get your knickers twisted).
If anything he'd white out the word British and insert the word Kenyans.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 9:55 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by YankeemovingAbroad
I have a Aussie friend who is allowed to work 6 months per year in Europe and I see no reason why America doesn't enter into similar agreements with countries in Europe.Especially the UK and France,being that they are my two favorites.What do we want? Exchange agreements!!! When do we want it, NOW.
Would never work, there would be too many Brits & French pouring in without enough Americans leaving.....it woud be too lopsided.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 11:05 pm
BE Forum Addict

DeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond reputeDeanUK2US has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by another bloody yank
If everyone starts using Ebonics I'm moving to Europe.
Eh, yo! You need to stay in yo' 'hood!
Old Nov 5th 2008, 11:49 pm
Queen of my house

Don't go gettin' up my grill an' all.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 11:55 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pejpm1
Because this country has a horrific recent racial history and is still a very racist country in many respects, so the fact that someone like him (black or mixed race) has been elected is a massive step forward. I really dont understand why you dont get why that is important. I personally I think that he will make a good president regardless of his skin colour, but the black community and this society in general have every justification to celebrate the fact that a non-white person has been elected leader.

However he should still be judged by the same standards that any other President would be judged by. Celebrate now, but once the euphoria has died down his performance should be treated exactly the same as anyone else.
Spot on. You get it.
Old Nov 5th 2008, 11:56 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

willmore has disabled reputation

Phew.....thank god you're not heading north......
Old Nov 6th 2008, 12:11 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
Hear hear hear. My head almost exploded when I saw where this thread was headed. If you can not see the role that race has played in this country, your head is well and truly in the sand.
The man would be described as black or african american in ANY other context and it absolutely has a bearing. It did not influence the way I voted, or perhaps the way you did, Tracy, but there were plenty who were influenced by it both directions.

hmm, looks like there are some other good posts here to read.
Amen to that - and for the record - if I could send Leslie karma 100x for summarizing why having a black President is such a big deal I would do it.

Those of you (Americans that is) who don't get this need to get out more, do some reading, talk to people, OPEN YOUR EYES!!!!!
Old Nov 6th 2008, 2:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Gezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of lightGezza is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by pgtips
After spending the whole night watching the amazing US election, I was just wandering what the great Dr Martin Luther king jnr would make of the great achievement of Barrack Obama to be elected the first black president of the USA. Has his dream of fainess and equality for all been finally realised ?
It certainly brought a tear to my eyes. Are you elated or deflated ?

Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!
Tears to my eyes come from the "numerous instances of shady tactics and mysterious foreign donors". This man effectively "bought" himself the White House. His money machine not only dwarfed John McCain’s, but brought in more money than both George Bush and Al Gore raised together in 2000 presidential campaign. Bark Obama could easily go on a long holiday now. USA will now be run by people who paid for his election.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 3:15 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

I got to page four of this, by which time I wanted to reach through the screen and strangle a few people. People obviously too young to understand. Leslie made a very good post on the subject, and I give kudos for that.

He didn't run a campaign on race and it was never a consideration for the majority. Clearly so since he got more white votes than anyone since Carter. But his race is still an important thing in terms of what it says about this countries progress.

I lived through the era of lynchings, church burnings, Selma, George Wallace, Rosa parks, the assassination of Martin Luther King and a very long list of other racial problems of that time. I was stationed in Pensacola Florida shortly after desegregation and traveled often to Mobile Alabama and Mississippi. I saw the slightly washed out signs on restrooms and water fountains "Whites Only". I met a group of guys who asked me if I wanted to go play nigger polo. I said, what's that? It seemed they drove down the street in an open convertible, the passenger carrying a ball bat, and when they saw a black man they cruised over and hit him in the head to see how far he would roll. Needless to say, I declined the offer. I sat in a diner in Mobile eating breakfast and ended up seeing two cops beat a black man with their night sticks because he spit on the sidewalk. The waitress thought it was just fine. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

So you see, I realize the importance of what has happened. Two of my daughters called me last night after the results came in, both for Obama even though they are Canadian born. I actually cried on the phone as I recalled those things I mentioned, and then said what I say now...I never thought I would live to see the day. I am thankful that I did. America, and the world, now see the U.S. in a very different, and very good light. A very dark part of our history has just been dealt a serious defeat.

Those who think that race will be the dominant part of his Presidency, it won't. But for this moment in time, it is a tectonic shift in American society.

Last edited by dakota44; Nov 6th 2008 at 3:40 am.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 3:18 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

dakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond reputedakota44 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gezza
Tears to my eyes come from the "numerous instances of shady tactics and mysterious foreign donors". This man effectively "bought" himself the White House. His money machine not only dwarfed John McCain’s, but brought in more money than both George Bush and Al Gore raised together in 2000 presidential campaign. Bark Obama could easily go on a long holiday now. USA will now be run by people who paid for his election.
Still buying the Republican propaganda are you? The average donation to his campaign was somewhere in the area of $85. Millions of individual donors. Not corporate donors. Individual donors. Get over it. It was a movement, and movements generate support. And shady tactics? That's the republican forte'.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 3:35 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

When a white man with a beard, brown hair and eyes and a slowly receding hairline and a stocky build with a little bit of a gut starting, that prefers Coke over Pepsi but SunDrop over all other soft drinks and likes his steak medium rare with nothing but a little garlic salt and coarse ground black pepper, a man who's favorite color is forest green and likes the outdoors but isn't into team sports that much can become POTUS, that's when I will be happy.

Don't worry hon, your turn will come
Old Nov 6th 2008, 3:38 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat097 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Leslie66
I've had just about enough of this nonsense.

The fact that you even have to explain that says a lot about some Americans. Some people deny that racism has always been (and to some extent still is) an issue in America. Some people believe that dinosaurs lived at the same time that humans did. Some people deny the Holocaust. A plant can deny photosynthesis - that doesn't mean it isn't affected by it every single day.

I'm 42 years old and witnessed forced integration via school busing first hand in Texas. It wasn't pretty and I'll never forget how scary it was for everybody. At that time is seemed that we would never reconcile the racial divide. That was only 30 years ago and what I saw was nothing compared to what my parents generation witnessed in the 1950's and 60's - and the years before that were unspeakably dark and horrible times and as a country we still bear the scars today. I understand Brits not being as psychologically connected to racism in America - you didn't experience it so how could you know? On the other hand, I am saddened and disappointed when I come across Americans that still just don't get it.

The reason that there is so much reason for celebration today is because this country has come to the point where maybe finally race really is no longer an issue for the majority of us. The election of Barack Obama is symbolic to those of us that care about finally putting the race issue to bed. If Hillary had won we'd be celebrating the fact that (hopefully) sex would no longer be an issue.... and as a woman I would be very proud of her - just as many black people must be feeling about Obama. Why deny them this moment? Why not join them? I'm proud of this country today and I'm proud that the world is watching and the world is just a little bit impressed with us too.

Furthermore, I'm excited that we can finally put phrases like "playing the race card" to rest. After today we can honestly say there is no longer a need for such a thing or even the accusation of the use of such a thing. For those who don't understand the meaning of the phrase - it is the insinuation that a minority is using the disadvantage of his own race to obfuscate something negative about himself. Since Obama has already won the election there really is nothing for him (or his supporters) to obfuscate because it is resounding clear that he WON the election. Why would Obama supporters even need to "play the race card" (so to speak) at this point in the game? The time to play the race card would have been BEFORE the election. How on earth can celebrating this historical event be construed as "playing the race card"? It boggles the mind. Perhaps the ones using the phrase don't even know what it means? I don't know the answer to that question. Besides, Obama did not get elected because of his race. He was elected in spite of his race - and that is exactly the opposite of "playing the race card". The Obama campaign practically did backflips to avoid bringing race into their campaign - yet they still get accused. Totally unbelievable.

The historical significance of having the first black president is a singular and exciting event. The fact that we have a new president and he has the weight of the world on his shoulders (thanks to 8 years of Republican mayhem) is a distinctly separate and completely unrelated situation. The former is an exciting and uplifting event - and no amount of sour grapes by the losers will ever change that. The latter is an still an unanswered question - as is the election of any new president.
Excellent post
Old Nov 6th 2008, 7:27 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dakota44
I got to page four of this, by which time I wanted to reach through the screen and strangle a few people. People obviously too young to understand. Leslie made a very good post on the subject, and I give kudos for that.

He didn't run a campaign on race and it was never a consideration for the majority. Clearly so since he got more white votes than anyone since Carter. But his race is still an important thing in terms of what it says about this countries progress.

I lived through the era of lynchings, church burnings, Selma, George Wallace, Rosa parks, the assassination of Martin Luther King and a very long list of other racial problems of that time. I was stationed in Pensacola Florida shortly after desegregation and traveled often to Mobile Alabama and Mississippi. I saw the slightly washed out signs on restrooms and water fountains "Whites Only". I met a group of guys who asked me if I wanted to go play nigger polo. I said, what's that? It seemed they drove down the street in an open convertible, the passenger carrying a ball bat, and when they saw a black man they cruised over and hit him in the head to see how far he would roll. Needless to say, I declined the offer. I sat in a diner in Mobile eating breakfast and ended up seeing two cops beat a black man with their night sticks because he spit on the sidewalk. The waitress thought it was just fine. That's just the tip of the iceberg.

So you see, I realize the importance of what has happened. Two of my daughters called me last night after the results came in, both for Obama even though they are Canadian born. I actually cried on the phone as I recalled those things I mentioned, and then said what I say now...I never thought I would live to see the day. I am thankful that I did. America, and the world, now see the U.S. in a very different, and very good light. A very dark part of our history has just been dealt a serious defeat.

Those who think that race will be the dominant part of his Presidency, it won't. But for this moment in time, it is a tectonic shift in American society.

Agree with all of this post. Excellent, you told it as it was, I also never thought it would happen in my life time.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:05 am
Banned

earlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really niceearlswoody is just really nice

Originally Posted by Leslie66
How do you know Obama didn't cheat? Did you see him not cheating?
Good point....... cheating bastard.
Old Nov 6th 2008, 10:57 am
Forum Regular

McLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really niceMcLeans is just really nice

i found dakota 44s post quite moving, i dont think unless you remember or witnessed or have involvement in racism you find it hard to grasp the result of it. living in the uk we sat up and watched the elections and from people i have spoke to here most get an impression of him as a calming influence over a troubled country and definately see that his african routes are a massive step forward for america. tho please correct if im wrong, i dont want to offend anyone but whilst watching the results did mccain not take the majority of seats in the south except florida?? surely these are states that would equally have backed up this move forward for america in electing a black president? also i think people have to be very careful of how much input and control the media has. it was reported that this election has seen the largest number of afro american voters ever? if this is correct i cant help but ask where were they all when you needed rid of bush 4 yrs ago? or even when he was elected? i can totally see the significance of what obama stands for 2 the afro american communities and i think its wonderful but i just have a thought of if you have the right to vote in your country use it at all times not only when it appears right? thats maybe not the right way of putting it? people have fought long and hard for the rights of different communities for different reasons across the world i feel we should honour those every chance you get, be it a womans right to vote or a mixed race couple getting married whatever it maybe otherwise whats the significance of civil rights? best wishes to all

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.