Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Old Nov 12th 2008, 9:34 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

When I was growing up English/British were used pretty much interchangably.

With the hypenation I only use British when talking about Nationality, which is rare, normally I would use Anglo-Welsh! or to keep it simple here English.

I doubt if anybody could trace themselves back to the Ancient Britons so using the term in that context is pretty meaningless.

'American' does not describe ethnicity, you wold have to add Native to do that.
Old Nov 12th 2008, 10:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

Brit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond reputeBrit3964 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

My tribute to Obama, the President-Elect

Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:26 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

For a group of people who were once listed as two thirds of a person, to running the country and being the most powerful person in the world, not bad at all. This country has come a long, long way, there were many before who paved the way.

I hope that this is truly a moment for forward thinking and not regressive thinking. Only time will tell.

Originally Posted by pgtips
After spending the whole night watching the amazing US election, I was just wandering what the great Dr Martin Luther king jnr would make of the great achievement of Barrack Obama to be elected the first black president of the USA. Has his dream of fainess and equality for all been finally realised ?
It certainly brought a tear to my eyes. Are you elated or deflated ?

Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: Nevada b4 California b4 Colorado b4 Valley of plastic and sand, b4 London
veryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond reputeveryfunny has a reputation beyond repute

....and tears came to my eyes anon

anon to 400 years ago

ago is now the present

present and the future

future you have a lot to live up to.

Originally Posted by Brit3964
My tribute to Obama, the President-Elect

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CSD4F27VvX4
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:15 am

pgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond reputepgtips has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny
For a group of people who were once listed as two thirds of a person, to running the country and being the most powerful person in the world, not bad at all. This country has come a long, long way, there were many before who paved the way.

I hope that this is truly a moment for forward thinking and not regressive thinking. Only time will tell.
Agreed, however with the state of the US economy, after the celebrations there is a lot of work to be done. Can he turn things around ? Lets just hope so, he seems to have the masses behind him willing to give him their full support.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 8:34 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

People are getting awfully excited about the new president, which is a shame because he is going to disappoint hundreds of millions of people in a big way when they realise his race/background/politics will bring no change at all. And then where do these people turn - to Sarah Palin? Give me a break.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 12:22 pm
BE Forum Addict

Families, are losing jobs by the minute. Even though I do not agree with some of Obama's politics I am willing to give him a chance to see what he can change about this country and move people forward instead of the old same old attack everyone who does not agree with me mentally.

Originally Posted by pgtips
Agreed, however with the state of the US economy, after the celebrations there is a lot of work to be done. Can he turn things around ? Lets just hope so, he seems to have the masses behind him willing to give him their full support.
Old Nov 13th 2008, 1:52 pm
Queen of my house

tamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond reputetamms_1965 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by veryfunny

Well, for Barack that would have been (2/3 * 1/2) + (1 * 1/2) = 0.83 of a person.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 8:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Tableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond reputeTableland has a reputation beyond repute

I think the problem here is the way the Democrats knew that with Obama the election would be about race even without their ever mentioning it, and this is good because if it were about policy they'd get bogged down quite quickly. Unfortunately for the people, Obama will be running the country with his policy, and his race is neither here nor there to him.
Old Nov 14th 2008, 6:31 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Rete
Whoa that is just plain ridiculous. Besides the fact that is a British Expats forum, populated by 99% Brits, think you are carrying that just a bit over board.

Besides, as an American, I don't think the word monkey or the way it was used was a racial slur. I did not grow up with racial prejudice in my personal life or my professional life. I can honestly say I have never in my life thought of another human being as a monkey. As a jackass, yes, but never as a monkey. And personally, I can't remember anyone I know who has used that term in regards to a member of a minority race in this country.

Thought the victory in BO's election win was to put this negativity and racial tension behind us and accept each other without looking for innuendos in actions and speech.

Bob is one of the most honest, forthright and decent fellows I have ever come across and to even suggest that he is not, is a slur on a fellow member of BE.
My son calls my mother Monkey, not Grandma, Nana etc, but Monkey, always has, always will.