British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   USA (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/)
-   -   Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!! (https://britishexpats.com/forum/usa-57/barrack-obama-yes-we-can-571251/)

pgtips Nov 5th 2008 6:47 am

Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

After spending the whole night watching the amazing US election, I was just wandering what the great Dr Martin Luther king jnr would make of the great achievement of Barrack Obama to be elected the first black president of the USA. Has his dream of fainess and equality for all been finally realised ?
It certainly brought a tear to my eyes. Are you elated or deflated ?

Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!! :thumbsup:

pete86 Nov 5th 2008 8:14 am

Re: Barrack Obama, YES WE CAN !!!!!!

Originally Posted by pgtips (Post 6942012)
After spending the whole night watching the amazing US election, I was just wandering what the great Dr Martin Luther king jnr would make of the great achievement of Barrack Obama to be elected the first black president of the USA. Has his dream of fainess and equality for all been finally realised ?

I think its brilliant! I loved watching his campagne over the past months and always wanted him to win.

I'm interested to know what effect he will have on
a) The global ecconomic slow down
b) immigration for Brits like me wanting to move to the USA

I'm hoping positive effects on both accounts?

pgtips Nov 5th 2008 8:38 am

Originally Posted by pete86 (Post 6942179)
I think its brilliant! I loved watching his campagne over the past months and always wanted him to win.

I'm interested to know what effect he will have on
a) The global ecconomic slow down
b) immigration for Brits like me wanting to move to the USA

I'm hoping positive effects on both accounts?

I also hope all is positive.It will take a lot to sort out the global economy, it will not happen over night. At least there is a feeling of hope now, which I think was desperately needed.

pete86 Nov 5th 2008 8:45 am

Originally Posted by pgtips (Post 6942228)
I also hope all is positive.It will take a lot to sort out the global economy, it will not happen over night. At least there is a feeling of hope now, which I think was desperately needed.

no definitely not over night. But i feel Barack brings with him confidence, which i think will rub off globally. Hopefully, the ecconomy will turn around quicker then if JM won

luvwelly Nov 5th 2008 8:46 am

Almost as much fun as UK 1997...well done USA - didn't think you had it in you. :D:thumbsup:

Londonuck Nov 5th 2008 10:27 am

Originally Posted by luvwelly (Post 6942251)
Almost as much fun as UK 1997...well done USA - didn't think you had it in you. :D:thumbsup:

Unfortunately it will take quite some time to sort out the mess he's been left.

pgtips Nov 5th 2008 11:27 am

Originally Posted by Londonuck (Post 6942481)
Unfortunately it will take quite some time to sort out the mess he's been left.

Well I don't think the mess can get any worse, having said that Bush still holds the reigns until the end of January so who knows :unsure:

Millicent_ByStander Nov 5th 2008 12:38 pm

Very emotional it was indeed; inspiring speech, the stars aligned for Barack last night.

pgtips Nov 5th 2008 2:05 pm

Originally Posted by Millicent_ByStander (Post 6942846)
Very emotional it was indeed; inspiring speech, the stars aligned for Barack last night.

Barackmania was in the air !!! reminds me of the hysteria the Beatles and Elvis created in their time.:D

another bloody yank Nov 5th 2008 2:06 pm

Originally Posted by pgtips (Post 6943059)
Barackmania was in the air !!! reminds me of the hysteria the Beatles and Elvis created in their time.:D

Me too.

Tracym Nov 5th 2008 2:09 pm

Originally Posted by pgtips (Post 6942012)

First black president. Hmm.

He's as much white as he is black - one drop theory perhaps?

I don't really care if he's purple personally, but I do find playing the race card a bit disturbing really.

DeanUK2US Nov 5th 2008 2:09 pm

It's certainly a breath of fresh air to have a President like Obama. I love his fresh perspective on everything politics!

Totally awesome! Gobama!! :eek:

pgtips Nov 5th 2008 2:11 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 6943071)

I don't really care if he's purple personally, but I do find playing the race card a bit disturbing really.

Playing the race card ? You have lost me :confused: The only race card played and won was the race to the White House :thumbsup:

As Micheal Jackson sang, neither 'black or white'. Well I suppose in Jacksons case we can all safely agree a bit of cosmetic bleaching springs to mind :rofl:

DeanUK2US Nov 5th 2008 2:14 pm

Originally Posted by Tracym (Post 6943071)

I can see where you're coming from. I'm also mixed race (born to a quarter-cast mother and black father). I did my level best to judge him purely on his political ethics, which I believe I have done. Even if he were 'pure white' versus a 'black McCain', I would have still gone for 'white Obama'. See where I'm coming from?

Colour had nothing to do with me going for Obama.

Tracym Nov 5th 2008 2:21 pm

Originally Posted by DeanUK2US (Post 6943084)
I can see where you're coming from. I'm also mixed race (born to a quarter-cast mother and black father). I did my level best to judge him purely on his political ethics, which I believe I have done. Even if he were 'pure white' versus a 'black McCain', I would have still gone for 'white Obama'. See where I'm coming from?

Colour had nothing to do with me going for Obama.

Good for you :) I don't share your opinion of the man, but that's fair enough. Of course, I didn't really like anyone who ran this election, I am ashamed that the whole pack of 'em was the best our country could do.

Race, however, has nothing to do with it.

So to me - all this trumpeting "The first BLACK president" - he's perhaps the first mixed race one. But I'm also a bit ashamed of this country, that people are making such a big deal of that.