Argh

Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:24 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute
Default Argh

Ok, well the day of reckoning arrived this morning and my in laws kicked me out ( as per my previous posts). So I had to load up the car. Work is now over as well, as they canned the whole sales department this morning.

Jobless and homeless in the same day. I drove to San Diego which is where I am now and am staying in a hotel there.

I got no freaking idea of what to do where to go or what the future is right now. Its scary as hell. It may be time to get the hell out of `Dodge and just return back to the UK. Part of me is no, stay, go to CO or TX or somewhere friendly where I can try and eek out an existance at least temporarily. But then as I was unloading boxes from the car to the hotel I was thinking of my god I cant do this all the time.

Plus I have my car too, and payments and not sure what the best thing to do on that is either........

Can anyone please help.....I never once thought my life would come to this y'know.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:28 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Argh

Oh GinB, I am so so sorry.. would you like me to move this up to the USA forums where some of the locals might have suggestions for you for the next few days?
There is a thread running right now with a couple of people debating the 'should I stay or should I go?' question.

We're just sort of a limited audience for help in this forum.

Maybe you guys should throw your lot in together as roomies and open a Home for Wayward British Boys on Their Own.
Old Dec 6th 2010, 11:52 pm

avanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond reputeavanutria has a reputation beyond repute

So sorry to hear that, Gin. Back in 2003 I was in a very similar situation and only the timely intervention of a friend (he told another friend about my predicament, and that other friend offered me a room to rent for the summer) prevented my living out of my car.

The biggest advice I can think to give is...don't try to do it all by yourself. Tell your friends, let them help you, and by friends I am referring to online people like us as well. Networking really does work. Check Craigslist for housesitting jobs, shared rooms for rent, stuff like that. If you tell people here what kind of locations, jobs and housing arrangements you are open to, and everyone here contacts their friends in those locations and asks for suggestions, you may find feasible options very soon.

PS I like Meauxna's idea of banding together! It could work!
Old Dec 7th 2010, 12:17 am
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

There's a company called Vacant home caretakers.... who put people in homes to keep up the maintainace etc.

Now you do need to be employeed, but quite frankly, if you're prepared to do anything you can find work even if it is temporary.

http://www.vacanthomecaretakersca.com/

Try these guys.

SBM site services are a janitorial company and are always looking for people, the pay is terrible, but comes with health care, and would help you while you were looking for something else.

Good luck!
Old Dec 7th 2010, 6:27 am

EU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud ofEU_Girl has much to be proud of

I am so sorry Ginblossom, I really do. I do not know what to say...I am just sad to hear about your situation and questioning...when did our society became so cruel?
The gals are right! Ask for help from friends/coworkers. In the meantime, I would apply for jobs in CA and any other states which you like. I know it is a terrible time! You are strong and you will make it, just tell your friends your situation and find a roommate (it helps as you would not be alone!) Should you go home, just remember it is not a FAILURE (I thought going home is a failure but realized it is NOT! So if you think the same, vanish from your mind)

Last edited by EU_Girl; Dec 7th 2010 at 6:57 am.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Ginblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond reputeGinblossom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna View Post
Oh GinB, I am so so sorry.. would you like me to move this up to the USA forums where some of the locals might have suggestions for you for the next few days?
There is a thread running right now with a couple of people debating the 'should I stay or should I go?' question.

We're just sort of a limited audience for help in this forum.

Maybe you guys should throw your lot in together as roomies and open a Home for Wayward British Boys on Their Own.
Sure, please move this....
Old Dec 7th 2010, 3:17 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ginblossom View Post
Sure, please move this....
Done.

Rene
Old Dec 7th 2010, 5:11 pm
The Kwisatz Haderach

Mummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond reputeMummy in the foothills has a reputation beyond repute

What a horrible situation to end up in, so sorry. No words of wisdom from me, no idea what I'd do, but the way the economy is I'd probably try and go home, maybe sell the car and buy a ticket. I hope something good happens very soon
Old Dec 7th 2010, 6:02 pm
Are we there yet?

Trixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond reputeTrixie_b has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mummy in the foothills View Post
What a horrible situation to end up in, so sorry. No words of wisdom from me, no idea what I'd do, but the way the economy is I'd probably try and go home, maybe sell the car and buy a ticket. I hope something good happens very soon
just for balance, I'd do the exact opposite.

There is no shame in going home. You've had a few tough blows and everyone would understand if you did.

But, you're in a position to stay here legally, which may never happen again, and I'd make the most of the freedom.
you could do almost anything (i'd be heading to hawaii and looking for a job on boats for a while, but you could try SBM there - they have a site they maintain)

Anyway, you're in a tough spot, best of luck to you.
Old Dec 7th 2010, 6:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Oh wow, this all sounds completely overwhelming. The good news is that it looks substantially more precarious emotionally than it is in practical terms.
  1. Don't panic. You don't have any pressing immigration issues, so you get to set the timeframe for this.
  2. What position are you in with the car? If you sell it now, will it cover the amount owing? If yes, sell it. If no, consider selling it anyway, depending on your current finances.
  3. Choose yourself a new city. It should have good public transport and Zipcars, since you now won't have a car . If you can manage somewhere with universities, it will help with the next point.
  4. Find yourself a short- to medium-term sublet on Craigslist. If you are in a place with a reasonable student population, many will be wanting to rent out rooms while they go home over winter break. This will give you a roof over your head, without any of the set-up costs (since you'll be moving into an established/furnished house.) It is very possible you will even be able to pick up a place from a college drop-out that will see you through to June.
  5. Look for work. Maybe give yourself a timeline - plan to return to the UK in X months if still unemployed, so you can avoid the psychological trap of thinking this hell will drag on forever.
  6. Don't panic

Since I do not know you at all (except for having fine taste in gin beverages ) I have no idea what you are looking for in a city. If I had to fill the above criteria, I would probably go for Austin TX.

Best of luck. Feel free to PM if you have any questions about subletting through Craigslist - I have done it many times!
Old Dec 7th 2010, 6:06 pm
Are we there yet?

Originally Posted by retzie View Post
Oh wow, this all sounds completely overwhelming. The good news is that it looks substantially more precarious emotionally than it is in practical terms.
  1. Don't panic. You don't have any pressing immigration issues, so you get to set the timeframe for this.
  2. What position are you in with the car? If you sell it now, will it cover the amount owing? If yes, sell it. If no, consider selling it anyway, depending on your current finances.
  3. Choose yourself a new city. It should have good public transport and Zipcars, since you now won't have a car . If you can manage somewhere with universities, it will help with the next point.
  4. Find yourself a short- to medium-term sublet on Craigslist. If you are in a place with a reasonable student population, many will be wanting to rent out rooms while they go home over winter break. This will give you a roof over your head, without any of the set-up costs (since you'll be moving into an established/furnished house.) It is very possible you will even be able to pick up a place from a college drop-out that will see you through to June.
  5. Look for work. Maybe give yourself a timeline - plan to return to the UK in X months if still unemployed, so you can avoid the psychological trap of thinking this hell will drag on forever.
  6. Don't panic

Since I do not know you at all (except for having fine taste in gin beverages ) I have no idea what you are looking for in a city. If I had to fill the above criteria, I would probably go for Austin TX.

Best of luck. Feel free to PM if you have any questions about subletting through Craigslist - I have done it many times!
Austin Tx, is on my short list too. Sound advice!
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, its nice to get some support y'know.

OK, well, this weekend I am moving on, and having done some research, you guys rock because it does seem Austin could very well be supportive.

I will give myself a period there and if that doesnt work, then what the heck, Ill just go back but at least Ill try.

My car if I sold it to the dealer ( its only two months old) would cover the loan but Ill lose about 6 grand, so no point in taking that hit. Plus if I can keep making the payments, building the credit too.

If anyone can tell me any thing about Austin, that would be great....probably start a new thread on that.

Last edited by Ginblossom; Dec 8th 2010 at 3:33 pm.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:27 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

I've wanted to go to Austin for the longest time.. you'll have to be my reporter, GinB.
Old Dec 8th 2010, 3:30 pm
Are we there yet?

Originally Posted by Ginblossom View Post
Thanks everyone, its nice to get some support y'know.

OK, well, this weekend I am moving on, and having done some research, you guys rock because it does Austin could very well be supportive.

I will give myself a period there and if that doesnt work, then what the heck, Ill just go back but at least Ill try.

My car if I sold it to the dealer ( its only two months old) would cover the loan but Ill lose about 6 grand, so no point in taking that hit. Plus if I can keep making the payments, building the credit too.

If anyone can tell me any thing about Austin, that would be great....probably start a new thread on that.
Best of luck to you
Old Dec 8th 2010, 4:01 pm
Sleepless In Chicago

MrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to beholdMrEmjoy is a splendid one to behold

Remember your ace card is the English accent (I'm assuming)

Fight hard you'll feel prouder at the end what ever the outcome! HURRAH!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.