Reload this Page >

American Beer

American Beer

Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:35 pm
Account Closed

Sally is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: American Beer

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Is this the day for resurrecting old threads, or what?
Yes, and comparing/contrasting to olde London town
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:46 pm

Lion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond reputeLion in Winter has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Ray
Best pint available is Cows original ...
I used to drink it straight from the bottle. Gold top.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 12:35 am
Banned

Lord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond reputeLord Lionheart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mick Travis
Fair enough. Certainly the selection of good (and cheap) beer available at any Albertson's or Ralph's here in LA is far better than that at the Sainsbury's on Farringdon road.

And there are several great pubs withing walking distance of where I live (Venice) which have 50+ beers on tap, including one that imports fresh Guiness twice a week. A pint of Guiness there is, quite frankly, tastier than at the Toucan off Soho Square.

Now if the yanks could only get chocolate right. M&Ms are simply not as good as Smarties. And I'd kill for a Crunchie bar.
You can get Crunchie's at at least 4 places in Santa Monica
Old Oct 20th 2005, 1:14 am
Sarah's Hubby

jjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to all

Now if the yanks could only get chocolate right. M&Ms are simply not as good as Smarties. And I'd kill for a Crunchie bar.
That reminds me of something funny. Someone I know once said that they thought European chocolate was too rich. How sad is that? I was raised on shitty Hersheys and the like. Even the mass produced English chocolate like Galaxy or Cadburys is fantastic compared to the majority of US choc.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 1:40 am
Account Closed

Angry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to beholdAngry White Pyjamas is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by jjw152
That reminds me of something funny. Someone I know once said that they thought European chocolate was too rich. How sad is that? I was raised on shitty Hersheys and the like. Even the mass produced English chocolate like Galaxy or Cadburys is fantastic compared to the majority of US choc.
Galaaaaxxxxyyyy .......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I wake up some mornings in the vain hope that Thorntons have opened a shop here.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Wintersong
Is this the day for resurrecting old threads, or what?
I was wondering when I checked my emails...couldn't remember half these threads
Old Oct 20th 2005, 2:53 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Angry White Pyjamas
Galaaaaxxxxyyyy .......mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

I wake up some mornings in the vain hope that Thorntons have opened a shop here.

Thorntons were the best...I had a Thorntons easter egg once, about 1/4" thick and it had huge fudge chunks....mmmmmmmmmmm
Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:13 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

After reading on BE a while ago that Kronenbourg 1664 was available in certain states my hubby has been patiently waiting for it to arrive in NJ. Last weekend he went off on his usual (first one since breaking his ankle 6 weeks ago) shopping mission to our local Joe Canal's Liquor Outlet and came home with 24 bottles of the stuff. He managed to get the last box in the place and no doubt will now be buying it regularly.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 3:17 pm

Chorlton is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by mandpete
After reading on BE a while ago that Kronenbourg 1664 was available in certain states my hubby has been patiently waiting for it to arrive in NJ. Last weekend he went off on his usual (first one since breaking his ankle 6 weeks ago) shopping mission to our local Joe Canal's Liquor Outlet and came home with 24 bottles of the stuff. He managed to get the last box in the place and no doubt will now be buying it regularly.

Still waiting here in Texas I'm glad he was able to find some
Old Oct 20th 2005, 4:39 pm
Forum Regular

Mick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by lionheart
You can get Crunchie's at at least 4 places in Santa Monica
You're right. The place on the corner of 2nd and whatever, right by Third Street Promenade, has the best selection (Mmmmm...maltesers.)

The problem is you pay up for the chocolate because it's imported from the UK, but they could import from Canada, where the stuff is also available, and tastes exactly the same, for much less. There's no reason to pay 2 bucks for a Crunchie when you can buy them over the counter in Canada for 75 cents Canadian.
Old Oct 20th 2005, 5:09 pm
BE Forum Addict

mandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond reputemandpete has a reputation beyond repute

You're right. The place on the corner of 2nd and whatever, right by Third Street Promenade, has the best selection (Mmmmm...maltesers.)

The problem is you pay up for the chocolate because it's imported from the UK, but they could import from Canada, where the stuff is also available, and tastes exactly the same, for much less. There's no reason to pay 2 bucks for a Crunchie when you can buy them over the counter in Canada for 75 cents Canadian.
We're off to Montreal and Quebec for Thanksgiving so we will be stocking up on English chocolate.

Hubby's off to Toronto tomorrow for the day and he usually brings a bucket of Maltesers back with him.
Old Oct 23rd 2005, 7:28 am
Just me!

antjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond reputeantjen has a reputation beyond repute
Post Re: American Beer

Originally Posted by jjw152
the only thing to watch out for in US is, that a lot of cadburys is made under license by hersheys, or if its made in south africe or australia - it isnt a patch on the real UK cadburys!!

Anthony