Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Beer

American Beer

Old Jul 5th 2005, 8:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Beer

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Heineken and Pilsner Urquell aren't American mass produced lagers so they don't fall under the same category as Bud and the like. Pilsner Urquell is the original pilsner and all others should be judged by it. Look for Czechvar too, the original Budweiser until Anheuser-Busch stole the name and sued the brewery. It's still called Budvar in any other country but not here. There are however plenty of great American lagers if you look.
Badly worded post - sorry i realized that these beers were not American! I am surprised that they are not much more expensive than domestics though!
Old Jul 5th 2005, 8:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Big D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond reputeBig D has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TRPardoe
You can buy Morland Speckled Hen and Theakston's Old Peculiar here in Fort Myers. Lots of other brit beers too.

What I cannot buy is Carlsberg Elephant, which I really miss.

Carlsberg Elephant - now there is a beer (not to be confused with the Asian beer of same name) I always had trouble getting it in the UK - but trips to Copenhagen are always better for it!
Old Jul 6th 2005, 1:11 am
Ivegotta Member

Triumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond reputeTriumphrob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ImHere
You can get 'em from the grocery stores etc, but it still doesnt replace sitting in a big leather chair in front of a roaring fire in your local with your mates.
You are so right! Another good reason to go home.... wont be long now!
Old Jul 6th 2005, 2:44 am
Sarah's Hubby

jjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to alljjw152 is a name known to all

Wow you guys seem to have much better access to international beers than I do, I think Corona is considered exotic in my town. The only thing I am able to get a lot is Newcastle Brown Ale - which I'm not that partial to anyway. One thing I can get at the local bottle shop is Samuel Smiths Oatmeal Stout yumm...thats stuff is like candy to me I love it, shame its so dang expensive.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 2:52 am

gruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond reputegruffbrown has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjw152
Following on from Pulaski's Budweiser thread, and the general consensus that all Corp American beer is sh1t (which it is)
I was wondering which beers you DO drink and/or which you think are half decent.
Being an American married to a Brit, I can honestly say that when we go over to visit her family, the time I look forward to the most is spent in supermarkets picking out beer to try ie, Theakstons Old Peculiar, Spitfire, Brains etc or sat in a pub cradling a glass of Caffreys or Murphys. I could cry thinking about it!

Some of the beer I don't mind in this country is - Yuengling is probably one of my fave of the US beers, Sam Adams Summer ale is another fave, Blue Moon is light, fruity, different and far more drinkable than all the regular crap. I have to say, when travelling in the south 3 years ago I found the beer in Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, Georgia to, in general be of better quality than what we get up here in the north east coast.

Anyone got any good recommendations?
Marstons 'Old Speckled Hen' does it for me, you can get it at Joe Canals, if you have one...
Old Jul 6th 2005, 12:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Big D
Carlsberg Elephant - now there is a beer (not to be confused with the Asian beer of same name) I always had trouble getting it in the UK - but trips to Copenhagen are always better for it!
I have a recipe for it if anyone wants to give it a go.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 4:29 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Plenty of good imports here, some are pretty cheap too, but it's a bit of a chore because they always change what they have, so nae kronenbourg for ages...and the old peculiar is well expensive...but does mean I'll try other weird brews, there was a really nice set of beers from maine, mexico and canada going for $0.90, $0.75 and $0.50 a bottle, so had to go sample them

Do miss getting them certain beers on tap though, really miss caffreys....but then can get boddingtons in the next town over in a bar...and the local bar has really nice beers mostly from vermont, really like the heffweizen....and the weird canadian sour apple beer, can't remember the name, but it's a great beer dispite the name *l*
Old Jul 6th 2005, 5:04 pm
Forum Regular

Paint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to allPaint is a name known to all

Microbrew pubs generally have the best beers round here. Other than that we quite like Amber Bock and Fat Tire.... our local bar does Fish & Chips on a Friday night so we often go there and have a 'pint' of Amber Bock with it Beers definately don't travel well, so bottled UK beers can taste totally different to how you remember them...

Paint.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 5:12 pm
Forum Regular

MiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond reputeMiniBrit has a reputation beyond repute

fortunately my US hubby is not a fan of the 'pissy' types of US beer, the latest tasty treat he has introduced me too is 'Pete's Wicked Ale' which is pretty yummy indeed Then his sister introduced me to 'Apple Martinis' and it was all over....

next time I'll remember to stick to beer..
Old Jul 6th 2005, 5:52 pm
I approved this message

Hiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond reputeHiro11 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
and the weird canadian sour apple beer, can't remember the name, but it's a great beer dispite the name *l*
Ephemere. And that stuff is absolutely fantastic.
Old Jul 6th 2005, 11:20 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Ephemere. And that stuff is absolutely fantastic.
That's the stuff...only downside is, it's $5.50 for a glass...oh well....good stuff though
Old Jul 6th 2005, 11:28 pm
Back Again

Celtic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond reputeCeltic_Angel has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CarlM
On a lads boating trip to the Norfolk Broads some years ago, we drank a local ale called Coltishal Weaslepiss! Drink one and the second is free.. no-one managed!!

Great line to use when asked if we have Budweiser in UK.. "yes, but its sold under a different name - Perrier!"
*lol* it's so funny you said that, at a friends house the other day (kids birthday party) I over heard one of her other friends going on about how she'd just travelled the U.K etc she sounded really snobby about the whole thing and then went on to say how the Brits love Budweiser and she's baffled as to why...probably because it's American and they just love everything American over there......

damn I nearly guffawd!!! I didn't have the heart to tell her that the Brits who have heard of and drunk Bud think it tastes worse than pisswater
Old Jul 6th 2005, 11:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Pimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond reputePimpbot has a reputation beyond repute

This is my favorite UK tipple http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/ You can buy a few of the St Peters selections from AJ's fine foods here in the valley. I have also seen it being sold in San Francisco for $5.50 a bottle down by the Wharf.
Old Jul 7th 2005, 12:37 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pimpbot
This is my favorite UK tipple http://www.stpetersbrewery.co.uk/ You can buy a few of the St Peters selections from AJ's fine foods here in the valley. I have also seen it being sold in San Francisco for $5.50 a bottle down by the Wharf.
You can buy the porter, English ale and golden ale at www.johnsgrocery.com for $2.99 a bottle, plus shipping. They do cases too. It's great beer and the bottle is pretty good too!
Old Jul 7th 2005, 1:02 am
Illinois Rapscallion

Circus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond reputeCircus-of-Power has a reputation beyond repute

Gotta go with the Pislner Urquell ( from Krogers ) .. I also found Hop Back Thunderstorm and Summer Lightening in a liquor store in Peoria .... But nothing beats finding Boddingtons in a small podunk place called Deer Creek ... that was a night and a half

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.