Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA
Reload this Page >

American Beer

American Beer

Old Sep 9th 2005, 4:09 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: American Beer

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
I will stick my neck out here. America has a generally better range of beer than England. If you steer clear of the Bud/Miller/Coors type stuff the brewing industry is growing hugely where in England it is shrinking and you can get a far wider, more varied and more experimental than in England. You also can get a very good selection of other European beers fairly easily which just rounds out the entire range of beer you can get.
I'm 100% in agreement. In fact I will go so far as to say that the beer is better over here. Much better. Just stay away from the mass-market cat piss.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 6:36 pm
BE Forum Addict

Celsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond reputeCelsius has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Hiro11

I just had an insanely good "Holy Moses" witbeer from Great Lakes Brewery that might change your mind.

It seems that most people here like to bash American beer without ever having actually tried the good stuff. Yeah, Bud suck ass, but so does almost any macrobrew lager from anywhere in the world. Basing your opinion of American brews on Coors or Miller is like basing an opinion of UK brews on Tennant's Super.

It's not difficult at all to find excellent national brands like Rogue or Victory. In addition, every state has a variety of more regional micro or midsized brews, there are literally thousands of breweries producing quality beer. Just stay away from buying beer in most supermarkets (Whole Foods excepted) and try some stuff you've never heard of. It will definitely be fresher than bottled imports and will probably surprise you with quality.
Depends on where in the US one lives and the tastes of the locals. Bigger/more cosmopolitan cities/regions will probably have a better choice of microbrews than any podunk town or even small college town/city.
Old Sep 9th 2005, 9:49 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Celsius
Depends on where in the US one lives and the tastes of the locals. Bigger/more cosmopolitan cities/regions will probably have a better choice of microbrews than any podunk town or even small college town/city.
thats' true...where we use to live, quite a poncy part of the state, there weren't anything decent for booze...but there's plenty in this "city"...but then it is a bit of a hippy place, and also between a few of the college towns.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 5:58 am
Forum Regular

superpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to allsuperpat is a name known to all

Our local BevMo stocks this. REALLY hoppy, but very drinkable...

Gotta love the merchandise too - anyone who gets on a bike after a couple of 'Bastards needs their head looking at, imho!

Cheers!

Pat
Old Sep 10th 2005, 12:40 pm
Account Closed

Rushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really niceRushman is just really nice

Originally Posted by Bob
Anything really...did have a really nice bottle from Chile, but the price went up from $4.99 to 11.
Though I do prefer red wine, also better with the cooking.
I lived in Italy for 2 years and got pointed towards these two local red's.

Valpolicella
Monte Pulciano D' Abruzzo

Was never a red wine lover 'til I drank these, can't get enough of them now. Can get them pretty much anywhere around here (and boy, do I ever live in the "sticks"!!)

Both these wines are missing that bitter after taste some reds have. They are not expensive, basically i thi nk they are an italian "bread and butter" wine but i don't think you'll be dissapointed.
Old Sep 10th 2005, 7:08 pm
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rushman
I lived in Italy for 2 years and got pointed towards these two local red's.

Valpolicella
Monte Pulciano D' Abruzzo
Cheers for that, I'll go keep an eye out for them

Just found another shop that stocked the Vinho Verdi, the white stuff from chile...$5.99...not to bad, but oh well...i'm sure the co-op will have somin' else cheap and pleasant.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 6:38 pm
Forum Regular

Mick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant future

I would recommend Peet's Wicked Ale, Sierra Nevada, and Anchor Steam.

All of them beat a pint of Stella, that's for sure. The range of microbrews here in the US is far better than the range of ANY beer available at home. It's just that Bud is everywhere, and you're right. Bud sucks.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mick Travis
The range of microbrews here in the US is far better than the range of ANY beer available at home.
Well I wouldn't go that far, but it is good and a lot better than people give credit.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:33 pm
Forum Regular

Mick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant futureMick Travis has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Triumphrob
Abso****inglutly
You are so very, very wrong.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 7:38 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Duncan Roberts
Well I wouldn't go that far, but it is good and a lot better than people give credit.
Fair enough. Certainly the selection of good (and cheap) beer available at any Albertson's or Ralph's here in LA is far better than that at the Sainsbury's on Farringdon road.

And there are several great pubs withing walking distance of where I live (Venice) which have 50+ beers on tap, including one that imports fresh Guiness twice a week. A pint of Guiness there is, quite frankly, tastier than at the Toucan off Soho Square.

Now if the yanks could only get chocolate right. M&Ms are simply not as good as Smarties. And I'd kill for a Crunchie bar.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:00 pm
Lapine Member

snowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond reputesnowbunny has a reputation beyond repute

There are always several American beer threads going on here at the same time.

Mercy me.

I do what syllk and walla do -- drink wine.
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:15 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Duncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond reputeDuncan Roberts has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by snowbunny
There are always several American beer threads going on here at the same time.

Mercy me.

I do what syllk and walla do -- drink wine.
But beer is great and more versatile than wine. I will gladly debate pros and cons of beer from different countries, different uses for beer, different types of beer and different beer ingredients with anyone at any time!
Old Oct 19th 2005, 8:26 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Is this the day for resurrecting old threads, or what?
Old Oct 19th 2005, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

psb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond reputepsb182 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jjw152
Following on from Pulaski's Budweiser thread, and the general consensus that all Corp American beer is sh1t (which it is)
I was wondering which beers you DO drink and/or which you think are half decent.
Being an American married to a Brit, I can honestly say that when we go over to visit her family, the time I look forward to the most is spent in supermarkets picking out beer to try ie, Theakstons Old Peculiar, Spitfire, Brains etc or sat in a pub cradling a glass of Caffreys or Murphys. I could cry thinking about it!

Some of the beer I don't mind in this country is - Yuengling is probably one of my fave of the US beers, Sam Adams Summer ale is another fave, Blue Moon is light, fruity, different and far more drinkable than all the regular crap. I have to say, when travelling in the south 3 years ago I found the beer in Alabama, Louisiana, Texas, Georgia to, in general be of better quality than what we get up here in the north east coast.

Anyone got any good recommendations?

might try a few sam adams tonight myself..........my favourite
Old Oct 19th 2005, 11:30 pm
Ray

Ray has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond reputeRay has a reputation beyond repute

Best pint available is Cows original ...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.