Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Should I apply for an Esta or a Visa

Should I apply for an Esta or a Visa

Old Feb 4th 2020, 8:08 pm
Just Joined

CH90 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Should I apply for an Esta or a Visa

Visa it is. I've given myself plenty of time, so it's better to be safe than sorry. Thank you to everyone who has had an input, it really has helped in making my final decision.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 9:09 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by shiversaint
.... But moving on from that....I'm intrigued how TWOC is not the same thing as theft? Isn't taking anything without the owner's consent the very definition of theft?

NAL but given that being a passenger is effectively the same as TWOC, which to me sounds a lot like theft. ....
Theft is the intention to deprive someone permanently of something and I believe that the TWOC offence was created to cover the event of the police stopping someone in a "stolen" vehicle and the perp using "but it wasn't theft, I was going to take it back!" as a defence.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 10:10 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Former Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond reputeFormer Lancastrian has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Theft is the intention to deprive someone permanently of something and I believe that the TWOC offence was created to cover the event of the police stopping someone in a "stolen" vehicle and the perp using "but it wasn't theft, I was going to take it back!" as a defence.
Pretty much as we all know Taking Without Owners Consent = TWOC so without consent considered theft.
A very detailed explanation found in this link

https://www.cps.gov.uk/legal-guidanc...t-act-offences
Old Feb 4th 2020, 10:16 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Been a long time but I seem to recollect that goes back to the Theft Act 1968 which specified permanently depriving the owner, but that was UK legislation, quite what the technicality is in the US I do not know.