Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Citizenship costs increasing by 60!!

Citizenship costs increasing by 60!!

Old Feb 4th 2020, 10:59 pm
Just Joined

Dorothygale53 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Citizenship costs increasing by 60 percent!!

My tax advisor told me today that the cost to apply for citizenship is increasing in March of this year. When I did my own research, I found plenty of articles saying it was to increase by 60% but could not find a date anywhere. I called USCIS and they also could not confirm date. Has anyone heard anything about this?
Our 5 year period of waiting is up on March 31st of this year...I have also heard and seen things on the internet about being able to apply early at 4 years and 9 months but again, USCIS told me this was not the case. If I could apply now, I would, that is a huge increase in costs!
I guess I can call USCIS back and see if a different person tells me the same story. I just wondered if anybody here could provide any insight?

Last edited by Dorothygale53; Feb 4th 2020 at 11:17 pm.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 11:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Citizenship costs increasing by 60!!

USCIS have published proposals for fee increases and they are currently open for public comment, I expect that they will be implemented in a month or two as public comments close on Feb 10th.

You can apply for naturalization 3 months before you have been a LPR for 5 years. There is a calculator on the USCIS website here - https://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-ea...ing-calculator

If you became a LPR in March 2015 you would be able to apply now.
Old Feb 4th 2020, 11:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Olly_
USCIS have published proposals for fee increases and they are currently open for public comment, I expect that they will be implemented in a month or two as public comments close on Feb 10th.

You can apply for naturalization 3 months before you have been a LPR for 5 years. There is a calculator on the USCIS website here - https://www.uscis.gov/forms/uscis-ea...ing-calculator

If you became a LPR in March 2015 you would be able to apply now.
Thank you! I had also found that link that you posted, I was just confused by the “section 319a and 316a” part
Old Feb 5th 2020, 12:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Olly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond reputeOlly_ has a reputation beyond repute

316(a) is the regular 5 year route, 319(a) is the accelerated 3 year route that you can use if you're married to a US citizen.

You'd be filing under 316(a).
Old Feb 5th 2020, 12:16 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Olly_
316(a) is the regular 5 year route, 319(a) is the accelerated 3 year route that you can use if you're married to a US citizen.

You'd be filing under 316(a).
Thank you so much! You are more knowledgeable than the USCIS people I have spoke with 😃.

Do you know if the same fees to apply to under 18’s? We have 1 son aged 23 but the other 2 children are under 18. Presumably all 5 applications are done at the same time?
Old Feb 5th 2020, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

I believe that children under 18 automatically become citizens if a parent naturalizes...

https://www.uscis.gov/us-citizenship...hrough-parents

Children who were born outside the U.S. but now live in the U.S. may acquire citizenship under Section 320 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (INA). A child born outside of the United States automatically becomes a U.S. citizen when all of the following conditions have been met on or after Feb. 27, 2001:
  • The child has at least one parent, including an adoptive parent, who is a U.S. citizen by birth or through naturalization;
  • The child is under 18 years of age;
  • The child is a lawful permanent resident (LPR); and
  • The child is residing in the United States in the legal and physical custody of the U.S. citizen parent.
When you have your naturalization certificate you can just apply for their US passports. I believe that you can file for a certificate of citizenship for them but it's expensive and it's not a requirement.

Your son who is 23 will have to apply for himself.