Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Should I apply for an Esta or a Visa

Should I apply for an Esta or a Visa

Old Feb 3rd 2020, 5:23 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Should I apply for an Esta or a Visa

Thing is, the ESTA questions aren't going to catch every circumstance, and you can answer them very selectively.

The OP could pretty reasonably put 'no' for all the questions and be issued an ESTA, but that doesn't mean he should have been. This is a pretty tricky situation.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 5:29 pm
Just Joined

CH90 is an unknown quantity at this point

So, I've paid the 14 dollars. I've answered the questions. I haven't been arrested or convicted for seriously injuring anyone nor have I seriously damaged anyone's property. I have no convictions for drug related offences. Its come back approved.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 5:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CH90
So, I've paid the 14 dollars. I've answered the questions. I haven't been arrested or convicted for seriously injuring anyone nor have I seriously damaged anyone's property. I have no convictions for drug related offences. Its come back approved.
Congratulations! $14 well spent and much less hassle than applying for a visa.

The bar is set pretty low for an ESTA authorization. Now, if you were actually applying for a visa, you would have to disclose all of those 'infractions'.

Old Feb 3rd 2020, 7:16 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
Thing is, the ESTA questions aren't going to catch every circumstance, and you can answer them very selectively.

The OP could pretty reasonably put 'no' for all the questions and be issued an ESTA, but that doesn't mean he should have been. This is a pretty tricky situation.
I get that, but the questions are quite specific. Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious injury to another person or government official.
Have you ever violated any law relating to possessing, using, distributing any eligal drug.

The answer to both is 100% no. So why would I need a visa? The whole process is extremely confusing.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 7:26 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

The precise wording of that the statue that you were convicted/cautioned under is really the important thing here. So what exactly was the offense?
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 7:32 pm
Just Joined

The precise wording of that the statue that you were convicted/cautioned under is really the important thing here. So what exactly was the offense?

Old Feb 3rd 2020, 7:43 pm
Often not so civil...

This is interesting - the statue (from what I read) does not differentiate between the person who actually committed the TWOC and a person that is carried in the vehicle that they know to be TWOC.

So essentially, you also committed the offense of TWOC just by riding in the car, assuming that you knew it to be stolen.

I'd want a legal opinion in this one.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

This is interesting - the statue (from what I read) does not differentiate between the person who actually committed the TWOC and a person that is carried in the vehicle that they know to be TWOC.

So essentially, you also committed the offense of TWOC just by riding in the car, assuming that you knew it to be stolen.

I'd want a legal opinion in this one.
OK, I'll get some legal advice on this. It just baffling though, how I could answer no on the form but yet have a caution for that and nothing is flagged. Would the attached not show up on the esta?
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 7:51 pm
Often not so civil...

ESTA relies on you telling the truth, it does not have access to the UK Police National Computer or similar database.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 7:54 pm
Just Joined

ESTA relies on you telling the truth, it does not have access to the UK Police National Computer or similar database.
The thing is, I have told the truth. If there was a subsection to quote the attached, I would have.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 7:57 pm
Often not so civil...

That remains to be seen. I remain unsure.

Either way, it's simply a matter of risk tolerance. You have an approved ESTA, so if you where that way inclined, you could let the matter drop at that.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 8:02 pm
Just Joined

That remains to be seen. I remain unsure.

Either way, it's simply a matter of risk tolerance. You have an approved ESTA, so if you where that way inclined, you could let the matter drop at that.
I could, but it's a family holiday and I would like to eliminate any risk.
Old Feb 3rd 2020, 9:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I get that, but the questions are quite specific. Have you ever been arrested or convicted for a crime that resulted in serious damage to property, or serious injury to another person or government official.
Have you ever violated any law relating to possessing, using, distributing any eligal drug.

The answer to both is 100% no. So why would I need a visa? The whole process is extremely confusing.
This is really the crux of it. The crime did not result in serious damage to property or serious injury to another person. You answered truthfully.

Threatening behavior does not result in serious injury.

Don't sweat it. Just go and enjoy yourself.

Old Feb 3rd 2020, 10:45 pm

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

I could, but it's a family holiday and I would like to eliminate any risk.
There's no way to eliminate all risk anyway. Even an approved ESTA only gets you to the POE. It's up to the POE officer to grant entry.

Rene
Old Feb 4th 2020, 7:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

shiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond reputeshiversaint has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
Abet: encourage or assist (someone) to do something wrong, in particular, to commit a crime or other offense.

"Go on, do it! It'll be a laugh!" .... If you're with someone at the time a car is stolen, and ride away in it with them, I can't imagine how that wouldn't lead to a charge for "abetting".
Wild, wild speculation there! You have no idea if OP abetted this particular crime and the leap you've taken into what was actually said at the time is really unhelpful.

But moving on from that....I'm intrigued how TWOC is not the same thing as theft? Isn't taking anything without the owner's consent the very definition of theft?

NAL but given that being a passenger is effectively the same as TWOC, which to me sounds a lot like theft, then this must be a CIMT and therefore ESTA ineligible. Definitely a tricky one and generally better to be safe than sorry.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.