Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Wikiposts

Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Old May 31st 2024, 5:53 am
Just Joined

Florida88 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Nonimmigrant Visa Waiver of Ineligibility Application

Originally Posted by Natfar
Little update sent my passport off for issuance on the 7th May. Just checked Ceac website and it’s changed to approved today. Hopefully have my passport back at some point this week.
congratulations! My CEAC status changed to issued the next day and then the day after that it was delivered.
Old May 31st 2024, 6:20 am
Just Joined

Natfar is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Florida88
congratulations! My CEAC status changed to issued the next day and then the day after that it was delivered.
that’s good to know. I’ve missed my USA trip this year but need to leave the county in a week so really need my passport back!
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 7:44 am
Just Joined

NiceOneFranco is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello people,

I had my Visa interview today in London and was denied a Visa, ultimately, due to my criminal record. I have a number of convictions but was informed that I would not be issued a visa due to one of them being classified as moral torpitude. However, I was told that due to the time that has passed since the crimes, and my current circumstances, the agent would recommend I am given a waiver of ineligibility and provided me with paperwork saying so.

I want to try and keep the forum up to speed with my experience and happy to answer (most) questions to help others.

One question that I have (that I hope people may have insight to) is the approximate probability of having a WoI approved by DHS? I appreciate it will vary wildly (depending on criteria such as: crime nature and severity, time since the conviction , current circumstances etc) but given the fact that i was recommended to be issued a WoI by the visa agent interviewing me, I assume that there is probably a better than 50/50 chance I will receive it? I'd be surprised if the agent recommended me if they dont believe it's likely that I'll be given one.

Last edited by NiceOneFranco; Jun 3rd 2024 at 7:57 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 7:59 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NiceOneFranco
Hello people,

I had my Visa interview today in London and was denied a Visa due to my criminal record. I have a number of convictions but was informed that I would not be issued a visa due to one of them coming under moral torpitude. However, I was told that due to the time that has past and my current circumstances, the agent would recommend I am given a waiver of ineligibility and provided me with paperwork saying so.

I want to try and keep the forum up to speed with my experience and happy to answer (most) questions to help others.

One question that I have (that I hope people may have insight to) is the appropriate probability of having a WoI approved by DHS? I appreciate it will vary wildly (depending on the criteria of nature and severity, time since, current circumstances etc) but given the fact that i was recommended to be issued a WoI by the visa agent, I assume that there is probably a better than 50/50 chance I will receive it? I'd be surprised if the agent recommended me of they dont believe it's likely that I'll be given one.

I’ve only seen of one person on this thread and other forums that I’m on that didn’t hear back. (Obviously we not approved) they won’t tell you if your not you just won’t get an email assume.

the process is very long though here’s a timeline of my current experience for your reference

Applied for Acro 11/07/23

Acro received 22/08/2023 (there was a processing hold for a few weeks Acro were not doing applications as they were too busy)

Applied for visa did electronic application 23/08/2023

Embassy appointment 27/09/2023

Email to submit passport 6/05/2024

Passport sent 7/05/2024

Status changed to approved 30/05/2024

Today received email to say passport is with DX and will be delivered tomorrow

Total process from request for Acro 329 days (just under 11 months)

Time since embassy appointment 251 days (8 months 2 weeks)

Last edited by Natfar; Jun 3rd 2024 at 8:01 am.
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 8:05 am
Just Joined

I’ve only seen of one person on this thread and other forums that I’m on that disnt hear back. (Obviously were. It approved) they won’t tell you if your not you just won’t get an email assume.

the process is very long though here’s a timeline of my current experience for your reference

Applied for Acro 11/07/23

Acro received 22/08/2023 (there was a processing hold for a few weeks Acro were not doing applications as they were too busy)

Applied for visa did electronic application 23/08/2023

Embassy appointment 27/09/2023

Email to submit passport 6/05/2024

Passport sent 7/05/2024

Status changed to approved 30/05/2024

Today received email to say passport is with DX and will be delivered tomorrow

Total process from request for Acro 329 days (just under 11 months)

Time since embassy appointment 251 days (8 months 2 weeks)
Hey Natfar,

Thanks for the insight. I'm over the moon to hear you've been successful and that you'll have your passport soon.

I perhaps wasn't clear but I was hoping to understand the likelihood of my waiver of ineligibility being approved by the Department of Homeland Security Customs and Border Protection, following it being produced by the agent who interviewed me today. As I understand it, just because the waiver of ineligibility has been recommended, it's no guarantee that it will be approved?
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 8:41 am
Just Joined

Wales44 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hey Natfar,

Thanks for the insight. I'm over the moon to hear you've been successful and that you'll have your passport soon.

I perhaps wasn't clear but I was hoping to understand the likelihood of my waiver of ineligibility being approved by the Department of Homeland Security Customs and Border Protection, following it being produced by the agent who interviewed me today. As I understand it, just because the waiver of ineligibility has been recommended, it's no guarantee that it will be approved?
I’m also curious to understand if all recommendations are approved by DHS. My case was sent to them on March the 24th. I was told 4 to 6 months (Dublin embassy). on this thread I see waiting times of 7-9 months before you hear back. I hope Dublin has a fast track compared to Belfast or London. It would be good to hear if you’re denied the waiver. Guess they should inform you.
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 8:46 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wales44
I’m also curious to understand if all recommendations are approved by DHS. My case was sent to them on March the 24th. I was told 4 to 6 months (Dublin embassy). on this thread I see waiting times of 7-9 months before you hear back. I hope Dublin has a fast track compared to Belfast or London. It would be good to hear if you’re denied the waiver. Guess they should inform you.
Hey,

From my understanding, you need a "Yes" at 3 seperate stages to receive a WoI (please note that the below "stages" and the term "yes" are not official and I only use them to easier demonstrate my understanding of the process, happy for someone more knowledgeable to correct/ scold me).

Stage 1: Visa agent (Interview)
Stage 2: Visa agent supervisor
Stage 3: Department of Homeland Security

I read in a much earlier post on this forum that those recommended to receive a WoI (Yes at stage 1) have a "North of 90% chance of being granted a WoI". I'm taking it with a pinch of salt until I can read more about it but that is giving me some hope.
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 8:51 am
Just Joined

Hey,

From my understanding, you need a "Yes" at 3 seperate stages to receive a WoI (please note that the below "stages" and the term "yes" are not official and I only use them to easier demonstrate my understanding of the process, happy for someone more knowledgeable to correct/ scold me).

I read in a much earlier post on this forum that those recommended to receive a WoI (Yes at stage 1) have a "North of 90% chance of being granted a WoI". I'm taking it with a pinch of salt until I can read more about it but that is giving me some hope.
I understood the same thing! So I guess I have 2x Yes same as you… slightly ahead in the queue for DHS!
it’s a shame you need to do this for being stupid when you were 17 (30 years ish ago)
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 8:57 am
Just Joined

I understood the same thing! So I guess I have 2x Yes same as you… slightly ahead in the queue for DHS!
it’s a shame you need to do this for being stupid when you were 17 (30 years ish ago)
How do you know you have a "Yes" for stage 2?

You would've received a "Yes" from the Visa agent who interviewed you but not sure how you know their supervisor agreed with them, thus allowing the WoI application to go to stage 3?
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 9:04 am
Just Joined

Hey,

my expert has been (going off my application that is still ongoing)

Recommended for a waiver at the embassy on 27th sept

provisionally approved on the 30th at the department of hills security (it actually stated in the application that it was inky
provisionally approved pending the final checks and approval from the issuing officer)

fully approved today! And sent back to me.

I’ve only actually seen/heard of one person that’s been refused during my
process.

fir reference my crime was a pretty hefty class A drugs charge back when I was 19 (now 41) resulting in a custodial sentence. This might help
settle your nerves a little bit.
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 9:07 am
Just Joined

How do you know you have a "Yes" for stage 2?

You would've received a "Yes" from the Visa agent who interviewed you but not sure how you know their supervisor agreed with them, thus allowing the WoI application to go to stage 3?
I received an email from the embassy after my interview stating the following
‘there will be a delay in processing your visa application as approval for a waiver is needed from DHS. The process has already been requested and may take 4 to 6 months’
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 10:25 am
Just Joined

my expert has been (going off my application that is still ongoing)

Recommended for a waiver at the embassy on 27th sept

provisionally approved on the 30th at the department of hills security (it actually stated in the application that it was inky
provisionally approved pending the final checks and approval from the issuing officer)

fully approved today! And sent back to me.

I’ve only actually seen/heard of one person that’s been refused during my
process.

fir reference my crime was a pretty hefty class A drugs charge back when I was 19 (now 41) resulting in a custodial sentence. This might help
settle your nerves a little bit.
Ah nice one pal, that is reassuring that it seems quite rare. You know what it's like, I don't want to get too excited until I've got the passport, with visa, in my hand! Congrats on getting yourself sorted for America!
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 10:26 am
Just Joined

‘there will be a delay in processing your visa application as approval for a waiver is needed from DHS. The process has already been requested and may take 4 to 6 months’
Ah excellent, that's great news. Any chance you could tell me how long between you having your interview at the embassy and then receiving that email?
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Ukexpat23 is an unknown quantity at this point

under 18 is classed as a minor no? So you shouldn’t need a waiver. I guess they decided you do. But I was under the impression offences when you were a minor don’t count for this waiver process thing
Old Jun 3rd 2024, 11:34 am
Forum Regular

Ukexpat23 is an unknown quantity at this point

I don’t think getting an email is the usual thing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.