Moving to Orlando

Old May 2nd 2017, 9:55 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Orlando

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I guess I will never equate the kind of story that can be written from home and posted online as "reporting." I think of it as feature writing, not news gathering, and view the two as different beasts!
But you can get almost any information online and most people are quite happy to be interviewed via skype. She misses the lunches.
Old May 2nd 2017, 9:56 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sherbert
.... And Pulaski - 100/month for repairs on a used car? On what planet? My 15 year old toyota with well over 150k on the clock has not seen a mechanic since its last smog, over 1.5 years ago. Purrs like a kitten.
It's a budget figure for someone trying to immigrate on the cheap, and overall I would say a very fair one for someone who thinks they can buy a Civic or Corolla with 150,000 miles on it and run it on a shoestring .

We have three vehicles with an aggregated of 505k miles on them, including an Accord that I think will have clocked up 330k on it by this evening. While I think we are fairly gentle on our vehicles, and they have had few repairs, between regular servicing, tyres and brake pads when they wear out, and an occasional repair I think $100/mth is a fair average - lots of "free months" followed by a repair bill.

The Mustang had a seized break caliper once, and I think that is the only failed part it has ever had. It had a new serpentine belt, and high performance tyres at 10yrs/41,000 miles, and a new battery.

The truck had some worn steering parts at 80k miles, which I think cost about $1,000, but aside from routine stuff like tyres (@70k) battery, plugs (at 110k), the maintenance costs have been pretty low.

The Accord may need brakes soon, they're getting squeaky, but then it's 250,000 miles since the last time it had new brake pads. I would love to know why the original lads only lasted 80,000 miles! The current set of tyres are on track to exceed 100k miles, like the previous set - the original set did 80k, and the next set only 60k. Unfortunately it is on its fourth cat, which included $1,000 for the first replacement after 200 miles, because I mistakenly thought a Honda part would last another 200 - the matrix collapsed after 16 months/ 30k miles - 20k miles after the end of the warranty! We lost cat #3 when the engine failed, filling the cat with oil. At least I have found quality replacement cats for $170. It had new steering gaiters last year, and the prop-shafts are worn and we are about to get them replaced - I expect a bill for about $500 installed.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 2nd 2017 at 10:01 pm.
Old May 2nd 2017, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

sherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond reputesherbert has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
I'm sorry, but the bottom line is that he is not a journalist at all. A journalist cannot work from the back bedroom. Someone who does so is merely commenting on, or re-writing, the news gathered by the sweat of the brow of other people.
"Journalist: a person who writes for newspapers, magazines, or news websites or prepares news to be broadcast." Many 'respected' news outlets source content from freelance writers who, surprise surprise, write from their 'back bedroom'.

Huffington Post for example gets more hits than the Washington Post and literally *anyone* can write for it. Regardless of the fact Huff Post is an aggregator and blog, it's one of the most popular and busy 'news sites' in the US. The face of journalism has changed massively over the last 10 years. Get with the times.
Old May 2nd 2017, 10:16 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

"Journalist: a person who writes for newspapers, magazines, or news websites or prepares news to be broadcast." Many 'respected' news outlets source content from freelance writers who, surprise surprise, write from their 'back bedroom'.

Huffington Post for example gets more hits than the Washington Post and literally *anyone* can write for it. Regardless of the fact Huff Post is an aggregator and blog, it's one of the most popular and busy 'news sites' in the US. The face of journalism has changed massively over the last 10 years. Get with the times.

To each their own. I like to get my sports news from a reporter interacting face to face with the players on the team I am following, not one who obtains the news warmed over from the people who are actually on the inside.
Old May 2nd 2017, 10:18 pm
Austin. TX.

petitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond reputepetitefrancaise has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think this shift has done anything for journalism. The guardian in particular is nothing like as good as it used to be and frequently I look at what is written there in my field (dentistry) and it's shoddy work full of sound bites and inaccuracies. Same for some immigration stuff lately.

As for some of the posts I see shared on FB, well. Hideous. A particularly terrible one today about how "Switzerland has stopped mammograms" with links to the Swiss Medical Board (the german part) makes it all look terribly official and accurate. Trouble is I am fluent in French so I went to the french part of the SMB and searched for the information and they have done no such thing. Merely advised that women should be advised of the risks of having a mammogram done.
Old May 3rd 2017, 2:52 am
Crazy Cat Lady

moneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond reputemoneypenny20 has a reputation beyond repute

The people who 'write' for the DM are considered journalists so, you know, one man's journalist is another man's grade 9 work experience kid.
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:00 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

It may surprise y'all to know that some of the best trained journalists with the strictest codes of conduct work for The Sun!
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:01 am
Austin. TX.

Originally Posted by Guindalf
It may surprise y'all to know that some of the best trained journalists with the strictest codes of conduct work for The Sun!

doesn't say much for the rest.
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:02 am
Banned

Twinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond reputeTwinkle0927 has a reputation beyond repute

Like many other job titles, "journalist" is one whose definition seems to get broader and broader all the time. "Manager" is another. I've worked in offices where almost everyone had "manager" in their job title. In one case, all the person actually "managed" was an email inbox.
Old May 3rd 2017, 3:07 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by petitefrancaise
.... frequently I look at what is written there in my field (dentistry) and it's shoddy work full of sound bites and inaccuracies. Same for some immigration stuff lately. ....
In my opinion and experience many, if not all, articles are like that. I fear that the only articles that appear to be complete, accurate, and well written are ones where you don't know the actual real, inside story.

I have written previously on BE that I discovered during a previous job I had in London that even the world's "best", most respected newspapers were publishing articles that were a bizarre mish-mash of opinions from self-appointed experts, irrelevant information from other countries, stale information that was no longer relevant, various misguided deductions and assumptions, and somewhere in the article there was a kernel of truth, but often the truth was completely lost in a rest of the utter twaddle that had been cobbled together from "sources".

I believe that much of the problem is that media reports are written by "professionals journalists", not (in most cases) engineers, doctors, lawyers, politicians, scientists, soldiers, teachers who decided to use their special skills and training to write well-informed articles.
Old May 3rd 2017, 12:36 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
In one case, all the person actually "managed" was an email inbox.
Well, so long as he did a good job of it, kudos!

Ian
Old May 3rd 2017, 1:00 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

I posted on Facebook yesterday, and I have commented on the Graun web site.

Sign me up.
Old May 3rd 2017, 1:41 pm
Forum Regular

gtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Twinkle0927
You've probably pretty much worked out now that it's not going to happen but just wanted to say that on the salary you mentioned (which is below minimum wage in the U.K. so I have no idea how you can even afford to eat, let alone jet off to Florida - do you live with your mum?) you would not survive in the USA. If rent alone is $1500 you will be broke. Health insurance and your electricity bill for your a/c unit would more than eat up the rest. Food is more expensive here than the U.K. - good food, I mean. I'm not referring to endless apps at TGI Friday for 10 bucks. You say you would not be commuting but you would need a vehicle to get around. And that rent is expensive if it's for a flat. We pay significantly less than that for a 1400 square foot bungalow on 6.5 acres with stables, horse arena, 3-car detached garage and the most amazing views of the Cascades.

I don't know why people instantly think of Florida when wanting to live in this country and think a life in America is what they want and will be getting. It's the least American place there is. Full of British tourists, Canadian snow birds and illegals from various Hispanic countries. But what is the American life? The life we have here in rural Washington state bears no resemblance whatsoever to the life that someone in New York City is living. That's the beauty of a country so vast. We are 3000 miles from Florida and that suits us just fine. Even further away would better. I'm sure you can recreate that Orlando atmosphere in Costa del Blighty somewhere in Spain. And no visa required!

I'm not going to be in the USA any time soon but I have a number of people ask me about living in the USA based on my time spent there.

I think a lot of people base their desire, on a trip to Orlando, on holiday and think purely about all of the fun that they had (not something I'd identify with personally) and assume living in the USA will be very similar.

I initially moved to Florida (after spending 6 years living and working in Hong Kong) back in 2001.
I'd been to Florida previously, in the early 1990's and the West Coast of the USA in the late 1980's.

I actually thought the place had gone downhill, compared to the previous visit but perhaps my memories were overly positive.

What I noticed, upon moving the USA, was that what appeared to be very simple and straightforwards, as a tourist, was not that simple as a "resident alien for tax purposes". As a tourist you simply spend money and have fun. To live in the USA you need to become part of the system.

Life in the USA is not that simple, if you are not part of the system.

At least it wasn't for me. Until my SS # came through that is! Uncle Sam (A Scotsman they say - just like me!) likes you to be in the system

The rate of earnings quoted by the OP are shockingly low levels, if there's an expectation of having any sort of quality of life, beyond that of a student in the UK.

From my personal expectations, I wouldn't consider a move to the USA on less than $100,000 per year salary. Might sound out of reach for many but that's my outlook.

Everything costs money and every price you see is usually subject to sales tax on top. That's not likely to be an option for a young lad writing a few articles I suspect.

When my GF (from Sarasota) has been over to the UK in recent years, she's amazed at how cheap it is!
It never used to be like that - it used to be half the price in the USA and very good value for money.
I keep telling her it's not that it's cheap in the UK, the real reason is that the USA has become continually more expensive, since around 2008, in my opinion.

Right now I'm typing from Dubai and this is an expensive place to be and according to online articles it's 68% cheaper to live in Johannesburg compared to the UK. A journalist presumably wrote that article but I can tell you that everything I buy in a supermarket in Johannesburg costs 50 to 100% more than the UK.

The plus side of living in Johannesburg is the wonderful quality of food. South African food quality is excellent! The negative would be the perceived levels of crime. But the people are friendly and I've no complaints.

Should the OP actually move the USA, I wish you well but it's likely to be a very different experience to what you might imagine it to be, particularly on such a low level of income.
Old May 3rd 2017, 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by gtd2000
From my personal expectations, I wouldn't consider a move to the USA on less than $100,000 per year salary. Might sound out of reach for many but that's my outlook. ....
I agree. I have mentioned the same number myself from time to time as a base level if you're relocating to the US and not living in a high-cost location. .... And been rubbished for saying it.

Can you survive on less? Sure, but I wouldn't move across the Pond to do it.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 3rd 2017 at 2:49 pm.
Old May 3rd 2017, 2:15 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

I don't believe $100k is a requirement, location dependent. $70k is quite fine in my location. Of course you live to your means though, so not being as a extravagant on $70k as someone would on $100k doesn't mean my quality of life is 'poor'

That I said, I do not have a family. Factor that in and it rises rapidly.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.