Wikiposts

Moving to Orlando

Old May 3rd 2017, 1:11 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Orlando

Originally Posted by civilservant
I don't believe $100k is a requirement, location dependent. $70k is quite fine in my location. Of course you live to your means though, so not being as a extravagant on $70k as someone would on $100k doesn't mean my quality of life is 'poor'

That I said, I do not have a family. Factor that in and it rises rapidly.
We fall just short of the 100k, live meagerly paycheck to paycheck, I have zero ability to fund a pension and saving anything is quite tight. Being employed has been a bit of an eyeopener, after 20 years as a self employed oick, income tax is a killer.

High costs for rent, healthcare, vehicles and their insurance, mobile phones all take their toll on a paycheck. Sure we could be uninsured, drive a heap (which I tried and regretted thanks to the Floridian attitude of 'fix it when it falls off and then only if it stops momentum') and live in the hood but no thanks!
Old May 3rd 2017, 4:29 pm
Forum Regular

gtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
I agree. I have mentioned the same number myself from time to time as a base level if you're relocating to the US and not living in a high-cost location. .... And been rubbished for saying it.

Can you survive on less? Sure, but I wouldn't move across the Pond to do it.
I think part of the problem, nowadays, is that the USA isn't as far "up there" from a desirability point of view as it used to be.

I really enjoyed the first couple of years and the "American excess" factor but once acclimatised wasn't so impressed by it all.

The cost of living has changed significantly but that's not to say you can't live there at a decent level on a lower wage.

I've been very fortunate that during my times working in the USA I've been provided with per diem rates to cover the cost of living.

In the early days - back in 2001, those per diem rates were actually higher than the anticipated income of the OP today.

Back then if you couldn't pocket a few bob at the end of the month after all your costs, you were doing something wrong!

The per diem rate hasn't kept up with the increased cost of living in the USA by any stretch of the imagination, based on my experience.
Old May 3rd 2017, 4:32 pm
Forum Regular

gtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond reputegtd2000 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
We fall just short of the 100k, live meagerly paycheck to paycheck, I have zero ability to fund a pension and saving anything is quite tight. Being employed has been a bit of an eyeopener, after 20 years as a self employed oick, income tax is a killer.

High costs for rent, healthcare, vehicles and their insurance, mobile phones all take their toll on a paycheck. Sure we could be uninsured, drive a heap (which I tried and regretted thanks to the Floridian attitude of 'fix it when it falls off and then only if it stops momentum') and live in the hood but no thanks!
Well hello there - I used to visit Palmer Ranch frequently, until stopped by a border guard in Detroit.

Now, I can only give a virtual "hello" from Dubai!

You're lucky to be living in Florida (other than the humidity), try NorCal, it's about 50% more expensive!
Old May 3rd 2017, 4:50 pm
Forum Regular

I don't believe $100k is a requirement, location dependent. $70k is quite fine in my location. Of course you live to your means though, so not being as a extravagant on $70k as someone would on $100k doesn't mean my quality of life is 'poor'

That I said, I do not have a family. Factor that in and it rises rapidly.
As a Scot, I can certainly get by on a lowly amount of money but stereotypes aside, living in the USA with it's overtly capitalist system, everything costs money.

One of my pals from back home was offered a job by a US friend of his that would like him to take over his business based in Sarasota.

My pal works for local Government in Scotland and has quite a nice cushy number and a very decent lifestyle. I don't believe he is a high wage earner or approaching the equivalent salary of the suggested wage of US$100k per annum.

He really enjoys taking family vacations in Florida. Another local, mutual friend, also used to live in St Pete's, so he's been asking both of us for advice while considering the move.

The local friend that lived in St Pete's now lives in Singapore so his outlook has changed greatly but he still travels to and from the USA every month or so on business, usually to CA.

We sat down one day and discussed the amount of money he'd need to earn just to stand still and have something approaching his UK/Scottish standard of living. We got to around US$40k just to stand still

Now, I know you can't put a price on the experience of living and working in another country, so perhaps it is viable but I suspect he'd also have to stop thinking about being home every night at 5pm after getting to work at 9am...
Old May 3rd 2017, 10:59 pm
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Looking at our cost of living here in Charlotte, NC, I think it's about $45k to stand still and any more is a bonus.

However, I don't have kids/pets or live a flashy life, apart from renting in a decent part of the city.

Nowadays a lot of our income is being stashed for retirement. I'm not going to be surprised if social security isn't there upon retirement.
Old May 3rd 2017, 11:21 pm
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark

I rent, have a cellphone, financed truck, health insurance, pay 4% into a 401k and eat out when I want to and still come up ok. Perhaps my part of GA is just cheaper than the average, but I manage without any trouble.

Again though, I don't have children (nor am I going to in the future) 0 looking at colleges the cost of various things for school certainly takes it's toll.
Old May 4th 2017, 12:28 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

A lot of the population do nit earn the numbers you mention to stand still, maybe the majority.
Old May 4th 2017, 12:49 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

I rent, have a cellphone, financed truck, health insurance, pay 4% into a 401k and eat out when I want to and still come up ok. Perhaps my part of GA is just cheaper than the average, but I manage without any trouble.

Again though, I don't have children (nor am I going to in the future) 0 looking at colleges the cost of various things for school certainly takes it's toll.
If I lived on my own I could do nicely on a lot less, but a wife and family cost more - more for heating and AC, not to mention a larger house, an extra vehicle - maybe an SUV or minivan, meals out cost more, clothing, especially for children adds up, after school care and summer camp expenses, family trips/ holidays, and of course health insurance for the family. It is quite easy to burn through $100k if you have a family.
Old May 4th 2017, 1:59 am
Forum Regular

If I lived on my own I could do nicely on a lot less, but a wife and family cost more - more for heating and AC, not to mention a larger house, an extra vehicle - maybe an SUV or minivan, meals out cost more, clothing, especially for children adds up, after school care and summer camp expenses, family trips/ holidays, and of course health insurance for the family. It is quite easy to burn through $100k if you have a family.
During my last trip to the USA, I took out travel insurance, something I don't often do but my employers health care policy did not cover treatment in the USA.

It cost less (about £90) for a three month, UK based travel policy covering me for almost everything including US$10M in healthcare cover with very minimal excess/copay charges. That's way below what it would cost for a month of healthcare coverage based in the USA!

Insurance costs in the USA are a real eye opener.

In the UK, my main residence is valued at roughly £350K and I only pay £100 per year for full buildings and contents cover (50K for contents). My GF's home is US$2000+ but worth probably US$300K

Same with my car - I pay around £158 per year for full cover but in Florida it's around $600 per 6 months!
Old May 4th 2017, 2:17 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Travel Insurance is not Health Care.
Old May 4th 2017, 2:17 am

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gtd2000
During my last trip to the USA, I took out travel insurance, something I don't often do but my employers health care policy did not cover treatment in the USA.

It cost less (about £90) for a three month, UK based travel policy covering me for almost everything including US$10M in healthcare cover with very minimal excess/copay charges. That's way below what it would cost for a month of healthcare coverage based in the USA! ....
But you're not comparing like with like - travel insurance is designed to deal with short term emergencies, patch you up and send you home, and provides no coverage for chronic conditions like diabetes, arthritis, or treatment for cancer, it also provides no preventative coverage. For most people travel insurance provides coverage for nothing more than for a fall and related injury such as a cut or broken bone. The nightmare scenario, not least for the insurer, is a heart attack.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 4th 2017 at 2:21 am.
Old May 4th 2017, 6:54 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

My wife's HDHP costs $20 Biweekly. Mine costs $40 Biweekly.

We both are set to put away maximum amount to HSA to cover us in later years.

For the short term I've gone from paying a large amount for an NHS that I rarely used, to a small amount here that I have yet to use.
Old May 4th 2017, 3:24 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Boiler
Travel Insurance is not Health Care.
Yes of course, that was just an example of something that many people coming from the UK might not think about.

I was mainly pointing out that, insurance, in general is far more expensive in my experience than in the UK.
Old May 4th 2017, 3:27 pm
Forum Regular

But you're not comparing like with like - travel insurance is designed to deal with short term emergencies, patch you up and send you home, and provides no coverage for chronic conditions like diabetes, arthritis, or treatment for cancer, it also provides no preventative coverage. For most people travel insurance provides coverage for nothing more than for a fall and related injury such as a cut or broken bone. The nightmare scenario, not least for the insurer, is a heart attack.
Agreed, I'm only going on personal experience.

I'm fortunate to be in good health with no requirement for any ongoing medical treatments.

I was only looking at being covered for emergencies, pretty much my outlook generally speaking, even under a heathcare plan while working abroad or in the UK with the NHS.
Old May 5th 2017, 1:21 pm
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by gtd2000
Well hello there - I used to visit Palmer Ranch frequently, until stopped by a border guard in Detroit.

Now, I can only give a virtual "hello" from Dubai!

You're lucky to be living in Florida (other than the humidity), try NorCal, it's about 50% more expensive!
I'm on the cheapo north side of Sarasota, the Palmer Ranch equivalent type property to our $1650+ a month would set us back about $2900+ per month, neither includes utilities.

Last edited by zzrmark; May 5th 2017 at 1:34 pm.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.