Moving to Orlando

Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:01 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Orlando

Originally Posted by TJBlack
Judging by what I've read alot of places are suggesting "I" classification visas?

You aren't a representative of the foreign media, sent to cover a story by your employer, you're a freelancer writing about sports. What is your resume? If you are 21, it seems that you have probably only recently graduated. And why Orlando? Not exactly a hotbed of sporting activity.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:02 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

Deary me settle down, I wasn't trying to dictate anything.

I've seen others on here state that they were able to secure a visa through freelance work but I can't see a specific selection on the Pulaski's Ways regarding freelancers. Obviously I wouldn't need to obtain a job as I write for three websites, one of which is American.
With respect, you haven't seen anyone with your 'qualifications' on here state anything like that. You want to know why? Because it's HIGHLY unlikely.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I very much doubt, based on the information you've given, that you will ever come to the US as anything other than a visitor.

Remember, it is ILLEGAL to work for anyone, UK, US or Ugandan, without proper authorization, viz-a-viz a work visa, which you have little or no chance of obtaining. You can't apply for yourself, meaning you would have to find an employer willing to shell out thousands of dollars on your behalf for a position you have already admitted you can do from home in the UK. How many do you think there are that will do that? My uninformed guess is that number would be around zero!

I have a Bachelor's degree. Yes, as a freelancer I have three employers for three different websites as I previously stated and I'm paid per article for the content I produce, so clearly there's some ability there.
As a former magazine editor and freelancer myself, I know what's legit and what is not and your reasons for wanting to move plus a dollar will get you a cup of coffee! The fact that you're asking about Mouse Town proves that you have little or no idea about what it really means to live in the US. Did you know, for example, that Orlando has one of the biggest jails in the US? What does that tell you? That it's all Mickey and Goofy?

The US doesn't care what you want. Sports journalists are two-a-penny here and I doubt that however much ability you can bring to the table, it would be enough to warrant a visa.

None of this is meant to sound harsh, but it IS meant to be realistic. So before you admonish me or anyone else about what information they do or do not give you, I suggest doing a little more homework.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:04 am
Just Joined

TJBlack is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
You aren't a representative of the foreign media, sent to cover a story by your employer, you're a freelancer writing about sports. What is your resume? If you are 21, it seems that you have probably only recently graduated. And why Orlando? Not exactly a hotbed of sporting activity.
Nearly five years of experience covering various sports and events in addition to interviewing a range of WWE/UFC stars. Orlando is more for the area, as stated in the first post, as the topics I'd be writing about don't require me to focus on the area itself.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:06 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Orlando is more for the area, as stated in the first post, as the topics I'd be writing about don't require me to focus on the area itself.
I think that statement says it all. You don't physically NEED to be anywhere near the US in order to write about it. Hence no need for a visa.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:15 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf
With respect, you haven't seen anyone with your 'qualifications' on here state anything like that. You want to know why? Because it's HIGHLY unlikely.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but I very much doubt, based on the information you've given, that you will ever come to the US as anything other than a visitor.

Remember, it is ILLEGAL to work for anyone, UK, US or Ugandan, without proper authorization, viz-a-viz a work visa, which you have little or no chance of obtaining. You can't apply for yourself, meaning you would have to find an employer willing to shell out thousands of dollars on your behalf for a position you have already admitted you can do from home in the UK. How many do you think there are that will do that? My uninformed guess is that number would be around zero!

As a former magazine editor and freelancer myself, I know what's legit and what is not and your reasons for wanting to move plus a dollar will get you a cup of coffee! The fact that you're asking about Mouse Town proves that you have little or no idea about what it really means to live in the US. Did you know, for example, that Orlando has one of the biggest jails in the US? What does that tell you? That it's all Mickey and Goofy?

The US doesn't care what you want. Sports journalists are two-a-penny here and I doubt that however much ability you can bring to the table, it would be enough to warrant a visa.

None of this is meant to sound harsh, but it IS meant to be realistic. So before you admonish me or anyone else about what information they do or do not give you, I suggest doing a little more homework.
First off, inverted commas around qualifications? Get off your high horse please, pal.

I appreciate the information given by you and others throughout the thread, but don't instantly assume I've picked Orlando out of a hat or on a whim. I've done the research required when it comes to location, so the ongoing condescending tone throughout this post is just a little bit laughable to be honest. My little brother was born in the city and has lived there on and off for his entire life, so I know what I'm dealing with.

But in all seriousness, at least now I know what I'm working with when it comes to visas. I just wasn't aware how strict the US were when it comes to me simply wanting to come over for a year or so and work in the States. Thanks for everyone's advice, but once again - jumping all over me like a bunch of rabid dogs just because I jumped the gun a bit doesn't really seem like the most logical of ways to help someone out.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:20 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

First off, inverted commas around qualifications? Get off your high horse please, pal.

I appreciate the information given by you and others throughout the thread, but don't instantly assume I've picked Orlando out of a hat or on a whim. I've done the research required when it comes to location, so the ongoing condescending tone throughout this post is just a little bit laughable to be honest. My little brother was born in the city and has lived there on and off for his entire life, so I know what I'm dealing with.

But in all seriousness, at least now I know what I'm working with when it comes to visas. I just wasn't aware how strict the US were when it comes to me simply wanting to come over for a year or so and work in the States. Thanks for everyone's advice, but once again - jumping all over me like a bunch of rabid dogs just because I jumped the gun a bit doesn't really seem like the most logical of ways to help someone out.
So are either of your parents US citizens? because if they are that is a whole different scenario, but at least you are now a lot wiser about getting to work in the US than you were before you started to post, so that is something you have gained.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:23 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by mikelincs
So are either of your parents US citizens? because if they are that is a whole different scenario, but at least you are now a lot wiser about getting to work in the US than you were before you started to post, so that is something you have gained.
Unfortunately not so him having dual citizenship doesn't really change much, just that I'm more knowledgeable about the location than some may have initially thought.

Thanks.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:28 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

I've done the research required when it comes to location...
If that's true, then why are you asking us about "whether or not Orlando is the best of places to up and move to in addition to which SPECIFIC neighborhoods are the best to live in..."? You say you've done the research - so don't you already know the answer to your own questions? And now it turns out your brother lives there... so what, then, is your real purpose?

... jumping all over me like a bunch of rabid dogs just because I jumped the gun a bit doesn't really seem like the most logical of ways to help someone out.
But you made it so easy for us. At any rate, you got help. The manner in which it happened is largely irrelevant.

Ian
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:32 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
If that's true, then why are you asking us about "whether or not Orlando is the best of places to up and move to in addition to which SPECIFIC neighborhoods are the best to live in..."? You say you've done the research - so don't you already know the answer to your own questions? And now it turns out your brother lives there... so what, then, is your real purpose?

But you made it so easy for us. At any rate, you got help. The manner in which it happened is largely irrelevant.

Ian
I said he lives there on and off. That's mainly to see his dad, and I just would've liked a bit more clarity on certain neighborhoods in correspondence to my own situation. As with any scenario of this nature, it's important to get a range of view points. What's my real purpose? Exactly what I said it was

Haha made it so easy? I came on here looking for help, not to excite those of you who thrive on putting down the less-informed.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Haha made it so easy? I came on here looking for help, not to excite those of you who thrive on putting down the less-informed.
In defence of everybody who's responded to you, these people see the same questions day in, day out. And with no disrespect to you whatsoever, the questions are so often asked by people who have done no prior research at all. You can imagine it must be very frustrating for those who have been on this forum for over a decade, in some cases, to repeatedly have to spoon-feed individuals information that they could readily have sourced themselves if they put in a little more effort. I think the sometimes abrupt nature of some responses is not to 'put down the less-informed', but to simplify what is a complex process, to educate, and to hopefully put a stop to what will be some peoples' fruitless daydreams, as those only cause upset in the long-run.

All that being said, I am sorry that you've had to see a harsh reality check. It is better that you know now, rather than get your hopes too high. Hopefully you can continue to visit Florida, and who knows what will happen in the future - you are still very young and your career could still be yet to blossom.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by KK85
In defence of everybody who's responded to you, these people see the same questions day in, day out. And with no disrespect to you whatsoever, the questions are so often asked by people who have done no prior research at all. You can imagine it must be very frustrating for those who have been on this forum for over a decade, in some cases, to repeatedly have to spoon-feed individuals information that they could readily have sourced themselves if they put in a little more effort. I think the sometimes abrupt nature of some responses is not to 'put down the less-informed', but to simplify what is a complex process, to educate, and to hopefully put a stop to what will be some peoples' fruitless daydreams, as those only cause upset in the long-run.

All that being said, I am sorry that you've had to see a harsh reality check. It is better that you know now, rather than get your hopes too high. Hopefully you can continue to visit Florida, and who knows what will happen in the future - you are still very young and your career could still be yet to blossom.
Thanks, KK.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Guindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond reputeGuindalf has a reputation beyond repute

High horse? Really? To get good information, you have to GIVE good information and you didn't, so you got the kind of response related to what you gave us. There is more info in this post than any other and would have made a huge difference to the responses you got. You must realize that we get loads of 'I want to move to Florida' posts than you can shake a stick at, so that's a pretty generic response.

Again, you have to tell us or we'll assume the worst. If you're reading condescending in my post then I respectfully suggest you go back to journalism school. I simple responded to the information given.

There is another way of getting into the US and that's by sponsorship through your brother (if he lives in the US). However, if I'm reading between the lines correctly, he's living in the UK and just going to the States to visit his father which, I assume is not your dad.

No-one is doing this, but if you are so thin-skinned, then I don't advise coming to an internet forum for advice!

Your comment to Ian about 'putting down the less-informed' is laughable too. If you want us to be all roses and light, it's not going to happen, and it certainly wouldn't prepare you for the disappointment ahead!

...and you call yourself a journalist - oh, my bad, a sports writer (big difference!).

Last edited by Guindalf; Apr 10th 2017 at 2:49 am.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:46 am
BE Enthusiast

KK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond reputeKK85 has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks, KK.
Best of luck to you.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:52 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Guindalf
High horse? Really? To get good information, you have to GIVE good information and you didn't, so you got the kind of response related to what you gave us. There is more info in this post than any other and would have made a huge difference to the responses you got. You must realize that we get loads of 'I want to move to Florida' posts than you can shake a stick at, so that's a pretty generic response.

Again, you have to tell us or we'll assume the worst. If you're reading condescending in my post then I respectfully suggest you go back to journalism school. I simple responded to the information given.

No-one is doing this, but if you are so thin-skinned, then I don't advise coming to an internet forum for advice!

Your comment to Ian about 'putting down the less-informed' is laughable too. If you want us to be all roses and light, it's not going to happen, and it certainly wouldn't prepare you for the disappointment ahead!

...and you call yourself a journalist - oh, my bad, a sports writer (big difference!).
It's not a case of being thin-skinned whatsoever, it's just a case of going about things in a way that doesn't detract people from re-visiting the forum. It's all well and good providing me with good information, but I 100% stand by the putting down the less-informed statement. Take a look back at your subtle jabs and jibes in the last post and try not to get so riled up next time, which is exactly what you've accused me of doing .

Again, I appreciate the reality check, just not the pointless comments. Not me being thin-skinned, just me wanting to let you know how it comes across.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 2:56 am
Concierge

mikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond reputemikelincs has a reputation beyond repute

I said he lives there on and off. That's mainly to see his dad, and I just would've liked a bit more clarity on certain neighborhoods in correspondence to my own situation. As with any scenario of this nature, it's important to get a range of view points. What's my real purpose? Exactly what I said it was

So is he your full brother, if so is your father a US citizen and could you already be a US citizen. You see if the good people on here were given the facts at the outset then they could give much better advice instead of having to find things out like pulling teeth. Good info in means good info out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.