Moving to Orlando

Old Apr 10th 2017, 12:36 am
Just Joined

TJBlack is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Moving to Orlando

Hey guys.

I'm a 21-year-old freelance sports writer from England, and I've always been fascinated with the US - and after finally visiting the country it's pretty much confirmed all of the things that I was expecting to love about it. I've spoken with a number of people from the Orlando area, which is where my main focus would be in terms of moving, and they've all said it's a financially viable area to live in.

Right now I earn around $1,600-$1,800 a month, however I wouldn't be travelling alone as I'd be heading over with a friend of mine who earns roughly the same wage. I've seen a number of places around the Orlando area that are available to rent for $1,500 or so a month which would work perfectly when combining both of our salaries. Also, commuting to work and the general traffic in the area wouldn't be a problem given that I'd do my work from home.

Personally I wasn't expecting to love the area as much as I do because I'm not used to the heat, but I handled myself fairly well whilst it was around 35 degrees or so. I realise some of the amusements would get old after a while which is why I'm open to hearing about alternative locations.

Essentially, this post is to query about whether or not Orlando is the best of places to up and move to in addition to which SPECIFIC neighborhoods are the best to live in when it comes to being a 21-year-old guy. I'm also open to hearing the negatives of living in the States and Florida in particular, as well as what other areas may suit me a bit better based on the information I've provided.

Cheers.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 12:40 am
Home and Happy

Location: Keep true friends and puppets close, trust no-one else...
Pollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond reputePollyana has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Moving to Orlando

Originally Posted by TJBlack
Hey guys.

I'm a 21-year-old freelance sports writer from England, and I've always been fascinated with the US - and after finally visiting the country it's pretty much confirmed all of the things that I was expecting to love about it. I've spoken with a number of people from the Orlando area, which is where my main focus would be in terms of moving, and they've all said it's a financially viable area to live in.

Right now I earn around $1,600-$1,800 a month, however I wouldn't be travelling alone as I'd be heading over with a friend of mine who earns roughly the same wage. I've seen a number of places around the Orlando area that are available to rent for $1,500 or so a month which would work perfectly when combining both of our salaries. Also, commuting to work and the general traffic in the area wouldn't be a problem given that I'd do my work from home.

Personally I wasn't expecting to love the area as much as I do because I'm not used to the heat, but I handled myself fairly well whilst it was around 35 degrees or so. I realise some of the amusements would get old after a while which is why I'm open to hearing about alternative locations.

Essentially, this post is to query about whether or not Orlando is the best of places to up and move to in addition to which SPECIFIC neighborhoods are the best to live in when it comes to being a 21-year-old guy. I'm also open to hearing the negatives of living in the States and Florida in particular, as well as what other areas may suit me a bit better based on the information I've provided.

Cheers.
Do you have a US passport, or a visa?
Old Apr 10th 2017, 12:43 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Pollyana
Do you have a US passport, or a visa?
Not as of yet, however a few friends of mine who moved over to the States acquired one with relative ease. This thread is more about the actual area and what it's like to live out there both socially and financially.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:08 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

Visa first, specifics of locale second.

Don't put the cart before the horse.

So.... what Visa will you be applying for?

You won't get any help here without that discussion before, because the rest is a waste of time without confirming you will be able to obtain a visa to do what you are wanting to do.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:11 am
BE Forum Addict

tom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond reputetom169 has a reputation beyond repute

Not as of yet, however a few friends of mine who moved over to the States acquired one with relative ease. This thread is more about the actual area and what it's like to live out there both socially and financially.
You don't dictate how people respond to the thread.

A few friends moving has no relevance to your personal situation.

Check up Pulaski ways (Google it) to see if any route is viable. Otherwise you will remain a visitor.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:20 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by tom169
You don't dictate how people respond to the thread.

A few friends moving has no relevance to your personal situation.

Check up Pulaski ways (Google it) to see if any route is viable. Otherwise you will remain a visitor.
Deary me settle down, I wasn't trying to dictate anything.

I've seen others on here state that they were able to secure a visa through freelance work but I can't see a specific selection on the Pulaski's Ways regarding freelancers. Obviously I wouldn't need to obtain a job as I write for three websites, one of which is American.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:24 am
Often not so civil...

civilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond reputecivilservant has a reputation beyond repute

It's far from 'obvious' that what you want to do would even get you a visa! Do you have a degree? Do you possess extraordinary ability?

As a freelancer do you even have an employer?

From the (very limited) information you've given, I don't see an L1, H1-B or E visa in your future. I see someone who can only ever come as a visitor for 90 days using the Visa Waiver Program. Unless of course you have $500k to buy a Green Card.

I would suggest that you consult your 'friends that have moved over with relative ease' and see what visas they have - then return.

If you want good information you have to give good information.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:26 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by civilservant
It's far from 'obvious' that what you want to do would even get you a visa! Do you have a degree? Do you possess extraordinary ability?

As a freelancer do you even have an employer?

From the (very limited) information you've given, I don't see an L1, H1-B or E visa in your future. I see someone who can only ever come as a visitor for 90 days using the Visa Waiver Program. Unless of course you have $500k to buy a Green Card.

I would suggest that you consult your 'friends that have moved over with relative ease' and see what visas they have - then return.

If you want good information you have to give good information.
I have a Bachelor's degree. Yes, as a freelancer I have three employers for three different websites as I previously stated and I'm paid per article for the content I produce, so clearly there's some ability there.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:29 am
Often not so civil...

I have a Bachelor's degree. Yes, as a freelancer I have three employers for three different websites as I previously stated and I'm paid per article for the content I produce, so clearly there's some ability there.
I'm not suggesting that there isn't 'some ability' but the requirements for US Visas are extremely strict. The vast majority of people will never visit the US as anything other than a visitor. If you didn't see your circumstances in the Pulaski's ways, then it simply doesn't exist as a visa option.

So, again, I suggest that you talk to your friends about what visa they have to live and work in the US and then return with that information.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:30 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Some ability but no visa so the rest is moot.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:32 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

Obviously I wouldn't need to obtain a job as I write for three websites, one of which is American.
I think this is the part you aren't quite understanding. In order to write for the websites (i.e., do your job) while physically inside the USA, you need a work visa.

The friends that made the move to the USA with ease...are they in exactly the same work scenario you are in? What visa did they obtain?

Bottom line is that you can't just move to the USA like that. You need a visa which allows you to live and work inside the USA (even if your job is internet-based).

Rene

Last edited by Noorah101; Apr 10th 2017 at 1:37 am.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:35 am

Noorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond reputeNoorah101 has a reputation beyond repute

To start, check with the American employer to see if that company will sponsor you for a work visa. Perhaps an O-1. If that is successful, though, then you can't work for the other 2 while inside the USA.

Rene
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:49 am
Account Closed

materialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond reputematerialcontroller has a reputation beyond repute

I'm also open to hearing the negatives of living in the States and Florida in particular...
Possibly the biggest negative right now, is that you don't have a visa!

Cheers.

You're welcome!
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:52 am
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

That monthly income is not going to get you anywhere in the US and makes it appear that you are not a candidate for an O visa. Just your health insurance premiums and apartment rent are going to gobble up the whole lot! Does your friend have a visa? Neither of you are going to he "heading" anywhere without them.
Old Apr 10th 2017, 1:53 am
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Noorah101
To start, check with the American employer to see if that company will sponsor you for a work visa. Perhaps an O-1. If that is successful, though, then you can't work for the other 2 while inside the USA.

Rene
Judging by what I've read alot of places are suggesting "I" classification visas?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.