Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Invitation to Interview | Full time offer | Visa Requirements?

Invitation to Interview | Full time offer | Visa Requirements?

Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:28 pm
NJL
Just Joined

NJL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Invitation to Interview | Full time offer | Visa Requirements?

Hi All,

This has been a fantastic resource so far, I hope it can add some clarification to my query.

Having spoken via. phone call with senior employee of a firm in NYC, a job offer has been extended to me in a Brokerage firm in NYC.

They have confirmed they will sponsor me for the relevant stockbroker licences required in the USA.

I asked the firm's representative their stance on whether they would sponsor me for a VISA. The answer was not confirmed, partially due to some ignorance on the process from both sides.

Having completed some research, I believe that a H-1B visa would be most applicable for me, although I withdrew from Uni after 1st year.

I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this situation. Can I study / train for the Licences previously mentioned under the Visa Waiver Programme, while the H-1B visa is processing?

Will the employer sponsor the VISA process?

Very confused but thank you for your responses in advance!
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

Awesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond reputeAwesome Welles has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Invitation to Interview | Full time offer | Visa Requirements?

Originally Posted by NJL
Hi All,

This has been a fantastic resource so far, I hope it can add some clarification to my query.

Having spoken via. phone call with senior employee of a firm in NYC, a job offer has been extended to me in a Brokerage firm in NYC.

They have confirmed they will sponsor me for the relevant stockbroker licences required in the USA.

I asked the firm's representative their stance on whether they would sponsor me for a VISA. The answer was not confirmed, partially due to some ignorance on the process from both sides.

Having completed some research, I believe that a H-1B visa would be most applicable for me, although I withdrew from Uni after 1st year.

I would be grateful if anyone could shed some light on this situation. Can I study / train for the Licences previously mentioned under the Visa Waiver Programme, while the H-1B visa is processing?

Will the employer sponsor the VISA process?

Very confused but thank you for your responses in advance!
ONLY the employer can initiate a petition for an employment based visa - you would be quite passive in the process.
Unless you have a bachelors degree or 12 years of relevant and progressive experience in the role, an H1-B petition won't succeed.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:40 pm
NJL
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Awesome Welles
ONLY the employer can initiate a petition for an employment based visa - you would be quite passive in the process.
Unless you have a bachelors degree or 12 years of relevant and progressive experience in the role, an H1-B petition won't succeed.
Thanks for your reply. Regarding the degree requirement, I noticed the specifics;
'A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent (certified to a US Bachelor's Degree standard if awarded overseas), or at least 3 years of documented experience in the field for each year missing of study'

I have >3 years of sales experience via a UK Ltd. company.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:53 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

What sort of time frame are you looking at?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 2:55 pm
NJL
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
What sort of time frame are you looking at?
Ideally ASAP, I would be in a position to move immediately providing I can find rented accommodation. That being said, I am aware the process could take a number of months so I am prepared to wait patiently
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:03 pm
Account Closed

That rules out the H1b.

O1?

Let us know what they propose, different visa's different issues.

PS VISA is a credit card.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJL
Ideally ASAP, I would be in a position to move immediately providing I can find rented accommodation. That being said, I am aware the process could take a number of months so I am prepared to wait patiently
Visas to start in October 2016 have already been filled - USCIS had over 200k applications during the filing period of 1-7 April, and did a lottery for the 85k H1b visa slots available.

The next filing date is April 2017, for work commencing October 2017.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:07 pm
NJL
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kodokan
Visas to start in October 2016 have already been filled - USCIS had over 200k applications during the filing period of 1-7 April, and did a lottery for the 85k H1b visa slots available.

The next filing date is April 2017, for work commencing October 2017.
Thanks for the info. Is there any other applicable VISA that would entitle me to work with employee sponsorship?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:10 pm
BE Forum Addict

kodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond reputekodokan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJL
Thanks for the info. Is there any other applicable VISA that would entitle me to work with employee sponsorship?
Try here: Pulaski Simplified : British Expat Wiki
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:27 pm
NJL
Just Joined

Originally Posted by kodokan
Thank you! I looked at the Visa wizard on the gov website. I was suggested a H3 visa;

'H-3: Trainee or Special Education visitor

To receive training, other than graduate medical or academic, that is not available in the trainee’s home country or practical training programs in the education of children with mental, physical, or emotional disabilities.'

I will be sponsored for the Series 7 & Series 63 exams which are FINRA regulated in the USA and not offered (for any practical jurisdiction use) in the UK? Is that a viable option?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:33 pm
BE Forum Addict

It doesn't sound like an H3 can lead to a job, though: https://www.uscis.gov/working-united...change-visitor
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:34 pm
Account Closed

I would imagine you could just go over on the VWP to take the exams.
I thought you were looking to work in the US?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:37 pm
NJL
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Boiler
I would imagine you could just go over on the VWP to take the exams.
I thought you were looking to work in the US?
Well, this is the thing? Can I go to the USA to act as a trainee under the VWP until I pass the exams? Apparently one cannot act as a 'stockbroker' by picking up the phone until you are regulated by passing the Exams. After the Series 7 & 63 is passed, you are licenced to smile & dial.

What would the process be to convert the VWP to permanent residency assuming I am physically in the USA?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:41 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NJL
Well, this is the thing? Can I go to the USA to act as a trainee under the VWP until I pass the exams? Apparently one cannot act as a 'stockbroker' by picking up the phone until you are regulated by passing the Exams. After the Series 7 & 63 is passed, you are licenced to smile & dial.

What would the process be to convert the VWP to permanent residency assuming I am physically in the USA?
Do you get paid as a trainee?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:42 pm
NJL
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
Just a note: VISA is a credit card. You need a Visa.
I certainly wouldnt refuse either

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.