Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Invitation to Interview | Full time offer | Visa Requirements?

Invitation to Interview | Full time offer | Visa Requirements?

Old Apr 24th 2016, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Orangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond reputeOrangepants has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Invitation to Interview | Full time offer | Visa Requirements?

Originally Posted by NJL
Well, this is the thing? Can I go to the USA to act as a trainee under the VWP until I pass the exams? Apparently one cannot act as a 'stockbroker' by picking up the phone until you are regulated by passing the Exams. After the Series 7 & 63 is passed, you are licenced to smile & dial.

What would the process be to convert the VWP to permanent residency assuming I am physically in the USA?
I think you already realise that you have to be a bona fide employee of the broker to even begin the registration process to take the securities exams. You can study online and/or get sent all the training materials and get to the point of taking the exams but you'd have to be an employee to be able to sit them. I worked for a broker for three years and took both exams. I found them really interesting - altho I never worked as a broker.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 6:22 pm
NJL
Just Joined

NJL is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Orangepants
I think you already realise that you have to be a bona fide employee of the broker to even begin the registration process to take the securities exams. You can study online and/or get sent all the training materials and get to the point of taking the exams but you'd have to be an employee to be able to sit them. I worked for a broker for three years and took both exams. I found them really interesting - altho I never worked as a broker.
Thats really interesting! Im glad you found the exams enjoyable! Thanks for your help. So, would you reccomend using the VWP as a trainee to then passing the exams, then applying for the April 2017 H1B, all while still in the USA?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 6:23 pm
NJL
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wintersong
If I were you, I'd propose to them that they consult with an immigration attorney before you head off to the NYC office for more interviews - they don't appear to realise that there's a lengthy and expensive immigration process before they can hire a foreign national.
Im going to draft that into an email to be sent tomorrow AM. Do you think that applying for a VWP, exhausting the 1-3mth training programme, and then applying for the 2017 April H1B while still in the USA would be a viable option?
Thanks all for your help so far!
Old Apr 24th 2016, 6:27 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJL
Im going to draft that into an email to be sent tomorrow AM. Do you think that applying for a VWP, exhausting the 1-3mth training programme, and then applying for the 2017 April H1B while still in the USA would be a viable option?
You can't be paid during the training program and as for the H-1B you don't initiate it, the employer does it. They are the only ones that can do so and they pay for it as well.

You will have to leave the US before the end of your noted allowed stay in the US under the VWP.

BTW you don't apply for a VWP, but you do have to apply for the ESTA.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 6:29 pm
NJL
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete
You can't be paid during the training program and as for the H-1B you don't initiate it, the employer does it. They are the only ones that can do so and they pay for it as well.

You will have to leave the US before the end of your noted allowed stay in the US under the VWP.

BTW you don't apply for a VWP, but you do have to apply for the ESTA.
Thanks for the clarification! I believe that you can stay in the US for 90 days under the VWP. Should I attain the licences within those 90 days; would the firm be able to initiate the H1B for April 2017?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 6:31 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

No
Old Apr 24th 2016, 7:36 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJL
Thanks for the clarification! I believe that you can stay in the US for 90 days under the VWP. Should I attain the licences within those 90 days; would the firm be able to initiate the H1B for April 2017?
The firm puts in its application on April 1, 2017, for a start work date of October 1, 2017. But this is an oversubscribed lottery. It is not a given that you would be chosen to proceed. Didn't you also say that you don't have the requisite degree or alternate years of experience? If so, this is all moot.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 7:47 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJL
No. You already said that the training program pays a minimal wage. You absolutely can't do that on VWP. You also can't hang out in the US for the 6 months it would take to process the H1B application.

Forgive me if I'm remembering incorrectly, but wasn't it already determined that you wouldn't qualify for an H1B, as you don't have either a degree or the requisite years of experience in lieu of a degree?

The company needs to be the one to make the enquiries from here, with an immigration lawyer who can look at your resume and qualifications and determine whether or not you qualify for a visa. If they choose not to do so, there's nothing you can do from your end, to be honest.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 7:59 pm
NJL
Just Joined

I am most grateful for your helpful & insightful responses so far. At this juncture, I will research alternate visa's I may qualify for and talk with my contact at the firm for more deliberation on the matter
Old Apr 24th 2016, 8:04 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

The person you need to talk to is the Lawyer.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 9:12 pm
Powder Maggot

AdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond reputeAdobePinon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJL
I am most grateful for your helpful & insightful responses so far. At this juncture, I will research alternate visa's I may qualify for and talk with my contact at the firm for more deliberation on the matter
You also need to prepare yourself for the possibility that there is no immediate path forward. There may be some long term paths, but is the firm willing to show that level of commitment?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 9:36 pm
NJL
Just Joined

Originally Posted by AdobePinon
You also need to prepare yourself for the possibility that there is no immediate path forward. There may be some long term paths, but is the firm willing to show that level of commitment?
Unfortunately, I am held ransom to reality. However nothing ventured, nothing gained!
Do you think it would be worth travelling to NYC to meet with the management & my contact from the firm, that in itself demonstrates a measure of my dedication which I hope will be reciprocated?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 9:38 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJL
Do you think it would be worth travelling to NYC to meet with the management & my contact from the firm, that in itself demonstrates a measure of my dedication which I hope will be reciprocated?

No.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 9:39 pm
NJL
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Nutmegger
No.
Mind if I ask your reasoning behind your answer?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 9:43 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Originally Posted by NJL
Mind if I ask your reasoning behind your answer?
It is apparent that there is no visa for what you wish to do. You would be far better off asking the prospective employer, upon whom the onus to get you a visa lies, what THEY intend to do in order to obtain a visa for you before you go chasing rainbows.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.