Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

Invitation to Interview | Full time offer | Visa Requirements?

Invitation to Interview | Full time offer | Visa Requirements?

Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:43 pm
NJL
Just Joined

NJL is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Invitation to Interview | Full time offer | Visa Requirements?

Originally Posted by Boiler
Do you get paid as a trainee?
A minimal living wage $xxx per week until the exams are passed (time frame as a trainee can last from <1 month - 3 months)
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:49 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Do you get paid as a trainee?
My niece was paid as a trainee for ML. She now has her license to sell as a broker.

I have to say that when I worked on Park Avenue in NYC, the building houses the offices of Blackstone and KPMG. Each spring there were busloads of college students coming from their respective colleges and universities applying for summer internships. There is no shortage of American citizens qualified for these positions.

In light of that, I find it difficult to believe that a brokerage firm would spend the time and money to sponsor someone from outside of the US to take a position readily filled by someone who is already authorized to work in the US.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:51 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat099 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by NJL
A minimal living wage $xxx per week until the exams are passed (time frame as a trainee can last from <1 month - 3 months)
So you need a work visa.
Account Closed

Originally Posted by Rete
My niece was paid as a trainee for ML. She now has her license to sell as a broker.

I have to say that when I worked on Park Avenue in NYC, the building houses the offices of Blackstone and KPMG. Each spring there were busloads of college students coming from their respective colleges and universities applying for summer internships. There is no shortage of American citizens qualified for these positions.

In light of that, I find it difficult to believe that a brokerage firm would spend the time and money to sponsor someone from outside of the US to take a position readily filled by someone who is already authorized to work in the US.
Does seem odd.
NJL
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Rete

Interesting post! Thanks for the info. I completely agree with you; however, this firm has posted numerous advertisements for the vacancy and having interviewed over the phone they were very willing to accept me for the vacancy?
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:52 pm
BE Forum Addict

yellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond reputeyellowroom has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJL
Thanks for your reply. Regarding the degree requirement, I noticed the specifics;
'A minimum of a Bachelor's Degree or equivalent (certified to a US Bachelor's Degree standard if awarded overseas), or at least 3 years of documented experience in the field for each year missing of study'

I have >3 years of sales experience via a UK Ltd. company.
its three years experience per year of study, so four year degree = 12 years experience needed.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:53 pm
NJL
Just Joined

Originally Posted by NJL
Interesting post! Thanks for the info. I completely agree with you; however, this firm has posted numerous advertisements for the vacancy and having interviewed over the phone they were very willing to accept me for the vacancy?
I should add, having researched the firm, they are legit. They have numerous international offices and all licenced brokers
Old Apr 24th 2016, 3:54 pm
Account Closed

Work for the UK operation for a year and then get a transfer.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 4:02 pm
NJL
Just Joined

Work for the UK operation for a year and then get a transfer.
Thats a fair idea. However, the Investment Banking arms are based outside the USA, the brokerage arm is based soley in the USA.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 4:04 pm
Account Closed

Well let us know what they propose.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 4:05 pm
NJL
Just Joined

Well let us know what they propose.
They proposed that I meet with management in the NYC office. I can do that under an ESTA Visa. Its just a question of getting a more permanent measure
Old Apr 24th 2016, 4:06 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJL
But it doesn't sound as though they were at all versed in the process of applying for a visa for you to be able to fill that vacancy, how much the process would cost them and how long it would take before you were able to fill the vacancy.

Unfortunately, getting a visa is not as simple as finding a company which is willing to hire you - they also need to be willing to sponsor the visa process and there needs to be a visa category for which you are qualified.

As Boiler said, the L1 visa is likely to be your best bet if the company has an office in the UK.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 4:08 pm
NJL
Just Joined

Originally Posted by Wintersong
But it doesn't sound as though they were at all versed in the process of applying for a visa for you to be able to fill that vacancy, how much the process would cost them and how long it would take before you were able to fill the vacancy.

Unfortunately, getting a visa is not as simple as finding a company which is willing to hire you - they also need to be willing to sponsor the visa process and there needs to be a visa category for which you are qualified.

As Boiler said, the L1 visa is likely to be your best bet if the company has an office in the UK.
My contact acknowledged the same.
Unfortunately that seems to be the case. Unfortunately they dont have a UK office.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 4:08 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by NJL
They proposed that I meet with management in the NYC office. I can do that under an ESTA Visa. Its just a question of getting a more permanent measure
As has been said many many time the Visa is the Employers call, or more likely their Immigration Lawyers.
Old Apr 24th 2016, 4:09 pm
Return of bouncing girl!

Wintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond reputeWintersong has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by NJL
If I were you, I'd propose to them that they consult with an immigration attorney before you head off to the NYC office for more interviews - they don't appear to realise that there's a lengthy and expensive immigration process before they can hire a foreign national.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.