Illegal Immigrants

Old May 1st 2010, 1:17 am
Busy at Work

lifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of lightlifehouse51 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Illegal Immigrants

Originally Posted by Toontje
How many US citizens are there who don't speak english?

If it's more than zero than your proposal will be practically worthless.
ANother argument is: How many NON-US Citizens that can speak American English? Accent is often used unconsciously as a way of grouping people into their countries of citizenships, but it's nowhere near 100%. It's a bit more reliable for determining peoples' countries of origins, but it's still not 100%.

I'm Australian but because I spent quite a significant amount of my time in the U.S., many people have considered me as having an American accent. Nevertheless, never had a green card nor citizenship.

If the accent argument holds, then I could be an illegal and get by without being checked ID's.

Last edited by lifehouse51; May 1st 2010 at 1:21 am.
Old May 1st 2010, 2:19 am
And YOU'RE paying for it!

lapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond reputelapin_windstar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Well since the new law is being called racist and racial profiling, then I suppose there needs to be a law that ALL immigrants are required to have their papers with them wherever they go and show them upon request. That solves the racial profiling problem I think?
Weren't you the one that was making all sorts of sniffy "oh, well, you probably don't understand how American law works" remarks?
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:06 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Hell, large chunks of Mainers up north sound like Canadians.
Many of my colleagues speak French more fluently than English... I do love that French-Canadian-Maine accent.
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:07 am
BE Forum Addict

kins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond reputekins has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
How does that work then because I am an American and I have an English accent.
My husband has dark skin and a Jewish nose, is American, has an English accent, and was born in Brazil to an English mother and Chinese-born Jewish-American father...
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:43 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Octang Frye
I worked for a moving company during the last recession. I won't reveal their name, because I don't want to get them in any trouble. I'll just call them *tudent Movers.

Anyway, during the summer, perhaps 10-15% of the employees were actually engaged in the academic arts.

Most of the rest were in half-way houses. There was also a sizable contingent of Lithuanians and Ukrainians and Russians who had overstayed their visas and were living and working here illegally.
I also saw Indian co-workers get laid off from a software company and not go back home. They took up jobs in gas stations etc.

It annoyed me, but I didn't dob them in. I was tempted a couple of times.
I don't believe in karma, per se, but I do believe in not doing something that I'll find hard to reconcile with a good conscience later.
Well that's a whole other point-what about the folks who came over and just never got around to AOSing.
Old May 2nd 2010, 1:52 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Errrr....how many people moved to the US legally, got married and got USC that still sound like dodgy foreigners? Hell, large chunks of Mainers up north sound like Canadians.

Your effectively endorsing a police state...which is worse than letting in the NHS, but you don't seem to mind the police having control.

Priorities are all messed up.
Hells bells, there are plenty folk in northern NY, VT and NH that have that- "mebbee I do it two, t'ree times, me" thing going on. When the factories and mills were going strong in Manchester, NH-not sooooooooo far north of Boston, it was the same, maybe it still is. However, their understanding and ability to speak English far outran the folks coming from south of the border.
Old May 2nd 2010, 3:45 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
How does a cop know your a USC or some dodgy illegal?

Some white Irish bloke is going to look like another other pasty white bloke from Boston, they aren't likely to get asked about their papers, but Jose from Brazil on his student visa is far more likely to be asked, when he's the legal one of the two.
Actually I know a bunch of Irish guys that were stopped by immigration a few years back on a train to Buffalo, New York from NYC. They were all illegal and were all deported.
Old May 2nd 2010, 3:50 pm
Concierge

Rete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond reputeRete has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by penguinbar
Actually I know a bunch of Irish guys that were stopped by immigration a few years back on a train to Buffalo, New York from NYC. They were all illegal and were all deported.

Yes, this has been happening enough that the Irish Echo has reported that Irish Illegals should not use the Can/Am route to make visits back home. It has been their way to cross into Canada with only a driver's license, fly from Canada to Ireland and then return the same route with only a US driver's license. Too many were being stopped and asked for their immigration papers and subsequently deported.

Do I feel for them? Yes, because they have lost the life they were living here and often the property and businesses that they bought and ran. But in truth, it was a gamble they took and eventually they lost.
Old May 2nd 2010, 5:33 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My picture has actually been in the Irish Echo loads of times from working in so many Irish Pubs in New York. I'm sure you've seen me Rete!
I actually got in an arguement on Facebook with an illegal Irish girl that I used to work with and was distantly friendly with. She constantly bashed the USA but didn't seem to mind the tax free money and free healhcare that she received. She said she didn't receive free healthcare but only free emergeny room care. I asked if she had any concept of what the emergency room could actually cost? I said we worked the same job but actually she made more money because I had to pay taxes on my wages and tips but she didn't. Anyway the discussion got pretty heated and she didn't seem to think there was anything wrong living here illegally and she should have the same rights as US Citizens. She overstayed here by seven years and is back in Ireland. Before I finally unfriended her on Facebook I said enjoy your 10 year ban from the USA.
Old May 2nd 2010, 6:07 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chrisfromusa
Listen to their accent.
A family friend of ours is 3rd generation American. He grew up in a community in New Mexico where nearly everyone is of Hispanic descent and he has an accent.

There are many illegal immigrants that moved to the US as children, know nothing of their home countries, and have zero accent.