Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Sep 19th 2014, 8:15 pm
Just Joined

lucyclark11 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Hi there,

I am in the process of applying for an E3 visa for a marketing role with BNY Mellon. I have an Australian bachelors degree in marketing and have 6 years relevant experience.

Is my Aus 3 year bachelors degree equivalent to the US bachelors degree in marketing or will I have to show proof of relevant experience to make up the extra year? The reason I ask is that my previous employer (RBS) do not give official references stating duties, they simply state the day I started and left. They also don't allow line managers to give references on behalf of the bank. Grrr!

Any advice, particularly from someone who has taken a marketing role in the US, would be much appreciated!!

Thanks!
Lucy
Old Sep 19th 2014, 9:58 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by lucyclark11
Is my Aus 3 year bachelors degree equivalent to the US bachelors degree in marketing...
Very likely, yes - and your 6 years of experience will be more than sufficient if not.

They also don't allow line managers to give references on behalf of the bank.
Don't confuse this with coworkers giving references that speak to their observations of your interactions with others, or your professionalism on the job. The bank is where you worked... it doesn't dictate the sort of employee you were. References don't need to be on behalf of the bank... so, think outside the box.

Ian
Old Sep 20th 2014, 1:25 am
Just Joined

nikadett is an unknown quantity at this point

Does anyone know if the E3 has ever hit it's years quota?
Old Sep 20th 2014, 1:42 am
Forum Regular

docnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by nikadett
Does anyone know if the E3 has ever hit it's years quota?
No. Last year(*) 4323 E-3's were issued, out of a cap of 10,500.

Those numbers don't include E3D's (2,785) or E3R's (982) which are not included in the cap.

(*) Where "last year" was 1 October 2012 through 30 September 2013.

Last edited by docnetau; Sep 20th 2014 at 1:45 am.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 1:53 am
Just Joined

I was born and have lived in the UK all my life, but I also have my own Australian passport through my mother. Although I've never lived in Australia will I qualify for the E3 visa?
Old Sep 20th 2014, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

docnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of light

I was born and have lived in the UK all my life, but I also have my own Australian passport through my mother. Although I've never lived in Australia will I qualify for the E3 visa?
As long as you're an Australian citizen (which you must be to have a passport), then yes, you are.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 2:02 am
Just Joined

Yes I also have a certificate of citizenship that I used to get my Aussie passport.
Old Sep 20th 2014, 11:46 am
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I also have a certificate of citizenship that I used to get my Aussie passport.
Excellent... no worries then.

Ian
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 2:46 am
Just Joined

naanabii is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello!

I have a question about applying for my first e-3 visa in Toronto. I just finished a working holiday visa in Canada (Sept 18) and now I'm in the US looking for a job. If I get one I plan to go back to Toronto to do the E-3 visa interview there.

Questions:

1. Is it correct that when you apply to get an interview they can reject you at that stage? Like,"No, you can't apply here." (So then I'd have to go to Australia to apply.)
2. Also, if you do get the Toronto interview can they also reject you at THAT stage too (in thee interview), on the grounds that they don't do first time e-3s in Canada?
3. Would the fact that I very recently lived in Canada make a difference to any of this?

Thanks,
Nat
Old Sep 22nd 2014, 12:18 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by naanabii
1. Is it correct that when you apply to get an interview they can reject you at that stage?
No - because you don't apply for an interview. You apply to have your paperwork processed. Once you submit the application you will soon find out whether or not they will process your application. If they do not agree to process your application, your paperwork will be returned to you and you need to apply elsewhere. If they do agree to process, then you will have an interview in Toronto - and they will not reject you simply because you applied in Toronto.

2. Also, if you do get the Toronto interview can they also reject you at THAT stage too (in thee interview), on the grounds that they don't do first time e-3s in Canada?
No. If they accept your application for processing, they won't deny the application simply because you filed in Canada. If your application is rejected, it'll be because of some other reason.

3. Would the fact that I very recently lived in Canada make a difference to any of this?
Yes - in the sense that you might not be considered a "3rd party national". This is good for you!

Ian
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 5:42 pm
Just Joined

aokashi is an unknown quantity at this point

I'm back with another E-3 question. Does anyone know whether first time E-3 applicators with a previous social security ( I had one when I was on F-1 OPT) need to apply for a new SSN? Do we also need new employment authorization cards?
Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 6:03 pm
Just Joined

naanabii is an unknown quantity at this point

Wow! Thanks for the good news, Ian! I just had the most encouraging job interview. So this might actually happen!

New questions:
1. Assuming I get all my papers in order and send them to the Toronto consulate, do they then allocate me an interview date?
2. And if that date is too far away can I just go back online and stalk the page to see if there is a cancellation for something sooner?

(I keep reading posts about 82 day waits or 7 day waits, but I can't grasp how it's all fits together!)

Merci!
Nat
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 7:11 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by aokashi
Does anyone know whether first time E-3 applicators with a previous social security ( I had one when I was on F-1 OPT) need to apply for a new SSN?
You do not need to apply for a new SSN. Your existing SSN is yours for life.

Do we also need new employment authorization cards?
The primary E-3 applicant doesn't, but anyone getting a derivative E-3D visa does.

Ian
Old Sep 23rd 2014, 7:23 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by naanabii
1. Assuming I get all my papers in order and send them to the Toronto consulate, do they then allocate me an interview date?
This I don't know for sure. Hopefully someone else will know.

2. And if that date is too far away can I just go back online and stalk the page to see if there is a cancellation for something sooner?
Yes - I believe this is what most people do (or, at least, attempt).

(I keep reading posts about 82 day waits or 7 day waits, but I can't grasp how it's all fits together!)
I don't think anyone knows for sure. Just keep trying for the best date/time you can get. Some people have reported better success by trying at 2:00 or 3:00 in the morning EST.

Ian
Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

msgd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
i have few questions regrading change of employer while on active E3 visa with in the USA.

firstly,
is it possible to continue work for old employer while change of employer(i-129) application is in progress ??
i have heard that once the new employer applies for new LCA then the active E3 becomes invalid? is this true?
what about the EAD? Do e3d dependant needs to apply for a New EAD if the principle E3 visa changes?

is there anybody who successfully changed employer while on E3 with in USA?
please share your thoughts on this!

thanks heaps in advance

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.