Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:36 pm
Forum Regular

Sevusal is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Originally Posted by msgd
Hi all,
i have few questions regrading change of employer while on active E3 visa with in the USA.

firstly,
is it possible to continue work for old employer while change of employer(i-129) application is in progress ??
i have heard that once the new employer applies for new LCA then the active E3 becomes invalid? is this true?
what about the EAD? Do e3d dependant needs to apply for a New EAD if the principle E3 visa changes?

is there anybody who successfully changed employer while on E3 with in USA?
please share your thoughts on this!

thanks heaps in advance
you can change employer while on E3 in USA. your new employer will need to apply for new E3 visa. it is same as applying for a new visa. there is no transfer of E3 visa like H1.

you can not work for the new employer until your new E3 visa comes. after that you have 10 days to change employer.

Technically, E3D visa based on the previous employer will NOT work. my advise is to apply for new E3D as well as EAD at the same time you are applying for new E3.

I am in a same boat right now where I am waiting for my E3 visa from last almost 3 months. my advise is NOT to go through I-129 form at USCIS instead go to overseas consulate and get new E3 visa. this is much quicker.

currently, Canada is not taking any foreign visa application due to summer rush but you can try new mexico.

hope this helps.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:42 pm
Forum Regular

docnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Sevusal
you can change employer while on E3 in USA. your new employer will need to apply for new E3 visa. it is same as applying for a new visa. there is no transfer of E3 visa like H1.
You *can* transfer employers on an E3 (without getting a new visa), however it's a slow process, and leaves you without a valid visa so you can't leave and re-enter the US. In general, everyone gets around this by applying for a new visa which is much faster, and generally easier.

currently, Canada is not taking any foreign visa application due to summer rush but you can try new mexico.
I presume you mean "old" Mexico, not New Mexico.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 9:48 pm
Forum Regular

msgd is an unknown quantity at this point

you can not work for the new employer until your new E3 visa comes. after that you have 10 days to change employer.

hope this helps.
hey thanks for your quick reply and my question here would be am i allowed to work for my current employer though? while new I-129 getting processed?

what if my new application gets rejected? does that mean i have to leave the country or can i continue working for my old employer as i have the current visa approved till 2016.

i got my e3 extended not too long ago(may) at Jamaica and don't really wanna go for another new visa this soon as it wasn't that cheap to travel overseas.
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:00 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by docnetau

I presume you mean "old" Mexico, not New Mexico.
Sorry. i don't know why i typed 'new'
Old Sep 24th 2014, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

hey thanks for your quick reply and my question here would be am i allowed to work for my current employer though? while new I-129 getting processed?
Yes

what if my new application gets rejected? does that mean i have to leave the country or can i continue working for my old employer as i have the current visa approved till 2016.
don't sure but i think you can continue to work on your old visa.
Old Sep 25th 2014, 2:10 am
Forum Regular

msgd is an unknown quantity at this point

Yes

don't sure but i think you can continue to work on your old visa.
thank you sevusal
Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:04 pm
Just Joined

aokashi is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You do not need to apply for a new SSN. Your existing SSN is yours for life.

The primary E-3 applicant doesn't, but anyone getting a derivative E-3D visa does.

Ian
Thanks Ian Wish this forum had a "thank you" button somewhere so i wouldn't need to clutter up the thread...
Old Sep 26th 2014, 7:16 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Michael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond reputeMichael has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by aokashi
Thanks Ian Wish this forum had a "thank you" button somewhere so i wouldn't need to clutter up the thread...
There is a "Karma" button at the center below the persons name.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 2:22 pm
Just Joined

auschamp is an unknown quantity at this point

can some one please confirm how long I need to wait before to confirm that US consulate in Canada have accepted my E3 application and will process it.

I booked my appointment with Ottawa consulate, it's been three working days since I booked it online.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 4:44 pm
Forum Regular

i have some queries regarding E3 visa.

I am currently with company A on L1B visa. I have a job offer from company B. the company B has now applied for E3 visa (actually have been waiting for my visa for more then 2 months now).

my questions are:

1. Once i get my E3 visa approval, how long do I have to change my job to new employer B? i read somewhere its 10 days. can it be more then that as i want to give 2 weeks notice to my existing employer A.

2. once i get my E3 visa approval, what if my existing company A offers me a better package. what option do i have to stay with my existing company A?

3. what if my new E3 visa gets rejected for any reason, my previous L1 is invalid? can i continue working with my company A?

4. What if I send a request to USCIS to cancel the application for COS for new E3 visa. can i continue staying on my L1 visa until it expires?

Thanks in advance.
TD
Old Sep 30th 2014, 11:13 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

... company B has now applied for E3 visa...
Unless you plan on leaving the US, I believe you're not actually getting an E-3 visa, but are changing status from L-1B to E-3. You won't actually get a new visa in your passport until such time as you leave the US and appear at a US Consulate abroad. At any rate, it's the status that's important... because a visa is nothing more than a travel document.

1. Once i get my E3 visa approval, how long do I have to change my job to new employer B?
You can change the day it's approved, or anytime afterwards. I don't think there's a time limit on when you can change jobs.

2. once i get my E3 visa approval, what if my existing company A offers me a better package. what option do i have to stay with my existing company A?
I don't believe you have an option. Company A would need to apply for a new change of status for you.

3. what if my new E3 visa gets rejected for any reason, my previous L1 is invalid? can i continue working with my company A?
If the E-3 is denied, your existing L-1B does not become invalid. You remain in L-1B status, and can continue to work for company A.

4. What if I send a request to USCIS to cancel the application for COS for new E3 visa. can i continue staying on my L1 visa until it expires?
Yes.

I caution you against playing games with different companies. There's a lot to be said for professional integrity - and if company B decides that your application was frivolous and a waste of their time... well, they might just tell others, and you might find it difficult to move to some other employer in the future... because some employer might just figure you're going to the same to them.

Ian

Last edited by ian-mstm; Sep 30th 2014 at 11:28 pm.
Old Sep 30th 2014, 11:57 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ian-mstm

I caution you against with different companies. There's a lot to be said for professional integrity - and if company B decides that your application was frivolous and a waste of their time... well, they might just tell others, and you might find it difficult to move to some other employer in the future... because some employer might just figure you're going to the same to them.

Ian
Thanks Ian. I couldn't get a straight answer from USCIS but uyoudid.
No I am not planning to do anything stupid like this. I always belive in professional integrity and try to follow it. It's just that I have been waiting for my approval for 2 and half months and crazy thoughts are popping up because of the frustration of waiting game at US IS.

Contacting USciS isno use. Tried to create e-request but keep saying it's within processing time. I wish I could do the overseas consulate interview to get my visa sooner.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 2:07 am
BE Forum Addict

augigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond reputeaugigi has a reputation beyond repute

It would be much faster to just go to a consulate and get a new E3. It always takes several months to change visa categories or extend E3 visa within the US, and is always faster to get a new one.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 2:08 am
Forum Regular

docnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of light

It's just that I have been waiting for my approval for 2 and half months and crazy thoughts are popping up because of the frustration of waiting game at US IS.
If you scroll back through the pages of this thread you'll find dozens of recommendations not to go the change-of-status-via-USCIS route, but instead to apply for an E-3 visa as a consulate outside of the US. This is exactly why.
Old Oct 1st 2014, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by docnetau
If you scroll back through the pages of this thread you'll find dozens of recommendations not to go the change-of-status-via-USCIS route, but instead to apply for an E-3 visa as a consulate outside of the US. This is exactly why.

I knew it would take two months but didn't know it will go beyond that. also at that time (July and I think still is) Van consulate was not processing non-canadian resident applications and Tijuana doesn't process first time e3 applications. I didn't have any other choice but to go through this pain.

Last edited by Sevusal; Oct 1st 2014 at 2:43 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.