Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > US Immigration, Citizenship and Visas
Reload this Page >

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Old Sep 16th 2014, 3:56 pm
Just Joined

kitty_katty is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: E-3 Visa for Australians Thread- It's all in here

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
What does the employer's attorney suggest?

Ian
Hi Ian

the lawyer said to perhaps pick a code that does have an educational level set. My issue is if there is another code that better fits the role and I don't use it, is it likely to cause me an issue?

I guess I'd like to know if others had used a code that didn't have an edu level set and what the outcome was.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 1:04 am
Just Joined

yogibear14 is an unknown quantity at this point

Ok, again apologies if this has already been answered.

Things are looking good for a job offer, and I just wanted to clarify something about physically where I can submit the E-3 application.

1. Can I do it in Canada? I have never been legally resident in Canada.
2. Can I do it in the UK? I was resident in the UK for 5 years, and I still have significant ties there (bank accounts, tax, address) and am still resident for tax purposes. But I no longer have work authorisation. I can't get far enough without a DS160 number to establish what (if any) residency checks they have.
3. Or do I have to go back to Australia

Last edited by yogibear14; Sep 17th 2014 at 1:09 am.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 3:56 am
BE Forum Addict

retzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond reputeretzie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by rogmidd
By the way, do you know if the SVP codes, by themselves, are used to qualify E3 job codes?
Sorry, I really don't know anything specific about the codes. My LCAs were always prepared by my employers' lawyers.

Just working from basic knowledge: there are times when one (two, three...) consular officers will make a judgement call on a borderline decision. You will not always be able to replicate this result. In particular, as this has already caught your current ConOff's attention, my guess is that it is unlikely to just go away.

If it were me: if there were any reasonable case for the SVP7 code, that is the avenue I would pursue. To me, the "other people granted it before" approach is just too open to "well, they were wrong! I'm not going to make the same mistake again." Remember, there is some discretion here, so precedent isn't necessarily the greatest argument.

This is me being a total layperson, though! You could always consult with another lawyer if you want another learned opinion.
Old Sep 17th 2014, 12:15 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by yogibear14
1. Can I do it in Canada?
You can ask them to process the application, yes... but they are not obligated to do so. Are some people successful submitting to Canada? Yes... but some others aren't - and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why one person has problems while another doesn't. Still, you have nothing to lose by trying, and the worst that'll happen is that they decline to process your application.

2. Can I do it in the UK?
See above, but substitute "UK" for "Canada".

3. Or do I have to go back to Australia
You don't have to, but it's the only option where you know for sure that the application will be accepted for processing.

Ian
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:29 pm
Forum Regular

msgd is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi all,
i apologize in advance for posting in the wrong thread.
My enquiry is about E3 visa to Green Card process.
is there a Distinct thread for e3 visa to Green card process? i don't seem to find any information or success stories anywhere on the internet?
if you guys have any info could you please share it here?

thanks in advance
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:42 pm
Account Closed

ian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond reputeian-mstm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by msgd
i apologize in advance for posting in the wrong thread.
My enquiry is about E3 visa to Green Card process.
is there a Distinct thread for e3 visa to Green card process?
I suggest you simply start a new thread and ask your questions. You don't want that information getting lost in the many pages that already exist in this thread and which isn't really related to getting an E-3 visa.

Ian
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by ian-mstm
You can ask them to process the application, yes... but they are not obligated to do so. Are some people successful submitting to Canada? Yes... but some others aren't - and there doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason as to why one person has problems while another doesn't. Still, you have nothing to lose by trying, and the worst that'll happen is that they decline to process your application.

See above, but substitute "UK" for "Canada".

You don't have to, but it's the only option where you know for sure that the application will be accepted for processing.

Ian
Ok, thanks.

When would you actually find out if they will process it or not, would they literally tell you in the interview that they wont process it?

Also anyone whos had success getting it in Canada - do you just select Canadian Resident and use a Canadian address (when booking the appointment)?
Old Sep 17th 2014, 9:57 pm
Account Closed

Originally Posted by yogibear14
When would you actually find out if they will process it or not, would they literally tell you in the interview that they wont process it?
If they don't process it, you won't even get to the interview stage. They will send the entire package back to you with a note saying they won't process it.

Also anyone whos had success getting it in Canada - do you just select Canadian Resident and use a Canadian address (when booking the appointment)?
Are you asking if people have lied to get an appointment? You don't want to lie to US immigration because it very often initiates a most unfortunate series of events.

Ian
Old Sep 17th 2014, 10:21 pm
Just Joined

Absolutely not intending to lie, just trying to find out if Canada is even an option. Clicking through the appointments portal gives me:

+ Canadian Citizen

- Non Canadian Citizen

- Non-Immigrant Visas (Non Canadian)

If the applicant is a non-Canadian citizen resident in Canada, select Applicants Residing in Canada.If the applicant is a non-Canadian citizen residing the in the United States, please select Applicant Residing in the United States.
+ Applicants Residing in Canada

+ Applicants Residing in the United States

+ Immigrant Visas - (Non Canadian)
So I imagine it depends how they define "residing".

So has everyone who has got their E-3 in Canada (or Mexico for that manner) been there under a work permit/working holiday visa etc, or is it possible to get the E-3 in Canada if you have simply entered the country as a tourist?
Old Sep 19th 2014, 3:19 pm
Forum Regular

Intelligent is an unknown quantity at this point

Hello All,

I made an application (DS-160), while filling it, I mentioned Toronto as my desired consulate where I want to attend an E3 interview.
But while making an actual appointment, I found Toronto is fully booked out until mid December 2014. So I selected Ottawa.
Now is this a issue? or I could make an appointment at any US Consulate other than the one I mentioned while making DS-160 application

Thanks in advance
Old Sep 19th 2014, 4:23 pm
Just Joined

auschamp is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Intelligent
Hello All,

I made an application (DS-160), while filling it, I mentioned Toronto as my desired consulate where I want to attend an E3 interview.
But while making an actual appointment, I found Toronto is fully booked out until mid December 2014. So I selected Ottawa.
Now is this a issue? or I could make an appointment at any US Consulate other than the one I mentioned while making DS-160 application

Thanks in advance
I have heard from people that they did not had any issue doing this, but filling out new DS 160 is always a good thing. Or you can call consulate to check if they accept.

Can you please let me know the current available dates in Ottawa. I checked in there websites and both Toronto and Ottawa have dates available. Waiting time is 7 days for Toronto and 1 day for Ottawa. I am not sure why you did not get dates till mid Dec for Toronto.
Old Sep 19th 2014, 7:13 pm
Forum Regular

Thank you Auschamp for the quick reply

Originally Posted by auschamp
I have heard from people that they did not had any issue doing this, but filling out new DS 160 is always a good thing. Or you can call consulate to check if they accept.
okay, I will call them can keep you posted

Can you please let me know the current available dates in Ottawa. I checked in there websites and both Toronto and Ottawa have dates available. Waiting time is 7 days for Toronto and 1 day for Ottawa. I am not sure why you did not get dates till mid Dec for Toronto.
r u serious? i have been looking to find a date in Toronto, but it says 82 days waiting period, where as Ottawa is 1 one day

Let me check it once again at Toronto
Old Sep 19th 2014, 7:18 pm
Forum Regular

Waiting time is 7 days for Toronto
can you check it now, if possible and let me know, if it still the same(Waiting time is 7 days for Toronto)?

Thank You
Old Sep 19th 2014, 7:26 pm
Forum Regular

docnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of lightdocnetau is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Intelligent
r u serious? i have been looking to find a date in Toronto, but it says 82 days waiting period, where as Ottawa is 1 one day
Availability varies, sometimes by the minute - mainly due to cancellations. There is probably one spot in 7 days time due to someone canceling an appointment at that time. Once that one spot gets taken, the next spot might be 82 days out.

Or perhaps someone who had an appointment in 3 weeks will re-schedule to grab the one in 7 days, so now there's one appointment in 3 weeks, and none after that for 82 days. And so on...
Old Sep 19th 2014, 7:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by docnetau
Availability varies, sometimes by the minute - mainly due to cancellations. There is probably one spot in 7 days time due to someone canceling an appointment at that time. Once that one spot gets taken, the next spot might be 82 days out.

Or perhaps someone who had an appointment in 3 weeks will re-schedule to grab the one in 7 days, so now there's one appointment in 3 weeks, and none after that for 82 days. And so on...
got it!!! Thanks Docnetau

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.