Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

Perth 9 months in still a rollercaster...............

Perth 9 months in still a rollercaster...............

Old Jan 18th 2007, 8:25 pm
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all
Default Re: Perth 9 months in still a rollercaster...............

Originally Posted by kris maynard
After practically living on this site before we came to Perth thought it only right i do an update (if anyone remembers us).

We had never visited Perth and knew nobody before we arrived!!!:scared:

After the initial stress of finding a home schools and cars and all the other stuff needed when we got here we began to live the dream Perth is a fantastic place and we really have lived the dream the kids have all settled into school every weekend we are busy exploring this fab place have been down to busselton for a long weekend visited bunbury Margeret River all beautiful places and soooooooo easy to drive to. After xmas went to Monkey Mia again fab and the drive was amazing also made us really appreciate how vast this place is driving for hours and only seeing a few other cars on the road Bazaar.

Robs working for a really good plastering firm with no hassels earns good money excellent.
Bought our house with swimming pool have nice bush views instaed of the fence we found in most property over here!!
Have met a really good group of friends and our social life has never been so busy.
Am part of a great netball team something i havent done since i was at junior school.
See Robbie Williams twice and was front row on the barrier omg he was amazing ..........
All in all we have fitted in well we have done what we set out to do try a new life and i do not regret for one minute what we have done BUT we totally underestimated how home sick we would get and how much we missed our friends and family back home we honestly believed we would be fine BUT although my sister has visited and my parents are due in 2 weeks we have come to the decision that our friends and family are a far more important part of our lives than the swimming pool and beach lifestyle so we are heading back to the UK and we are sooo excited.

For those heading over my advice would be come with a totally open mind dont have too many expectations we came with the view that we would give it a go if we loved it great if we hated it we would just head back , lifes too short for regrets and we are sooooo lucky to have been given the oppurtunity to have given it a go. Listen to everybodys views each one of us is different and will have different views on a place or way of life but one of those views will be similar to yours and its only then you can appreciate what others views are .....

Oh and we have a Holden Viva and Mitsubishi triton and 4x2 with pool in carramar to sell if anyones interested

Cheers Kris xx

Hi Kris

Sounds like you have made up your mind - but would you not consider coming back to the UK for a holiday first.

I know someone who was homesick and when they came back for a holiday - they realised right away that they thought Oz was better - in actual fact -they couldnt wait to get back!!! (the weather was crap when they came over right enough!!).

Old Jan 19th 2007, 10:10 am
BE Forum Addict

sj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud ofsj oldfield has much to be proud of

what would you say the average prices are for a plot of land in the Joondulup area (if there is any left!!). If not-how much further north would we have to go?

Plots available slightly north/west of joondalup, at Burns Beach..........think they start at about half a million!!
Plots also available at Somerly, starting at about $200,000
Old Jan 19th 2007, 1:17 pm
Just Joined

abranch is an unknown quantity at this point

I was wondering if you could give me some advise on plastering work in Perth. We are looking to come to Perth and I was wondering what the wages are like and how much you could earn a week as a solid plasterer. My husband would probably like to work for someone for a few months and then work for himself as he works on a self employed basis now. Do you need a plastering licence also as I am abit confused as some people say you need one and also that you have to work for someone for 2 years also. My husband would be applying under a Trade indepandant visa. Any advise would be greatly appreciated. Thanks
Allison
Old Jan 21st 2007, 9:53 am
BE Enthusiast

harveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of lightharveyhare is a glorious beacon of light

So has your house sold, or any decent offers?
Interested to see what the property market is doing in Carramar.

Di
Old Jan 26th 2007, 9:42 pm
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

blimey kris.. i'm in shock! You got ur visa about the same time as us.. but you managed to head out about 6 months ahead.. we had a load of hassle selling our house.. too boring to go into. But we're here now.

I'm really sorry you're heading back... but I'm sure everything will work out for ya when ya get back to UK. Just feel sad that you've gone thru all the stress n heartache of getting a visa only to find it wasn't for you.

Good luck with the move back...
Sonic xx
Old Feb 1st 2007, 8:37 pm
BE Enthusiast

BATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to allBATS666 is a name known to all

kRIS

so how come u lost money buying a house when Perth prices have been going thru the roof ? surely it's worth alot more now??? or maybe not enuf to cover ur fees and stamp duty ? & do you get hit for capital gains tax on any profit as ur leaving the country ?

BATS
Old Feb 4th 2007, 3:16 am
Banned

Lord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to beholdLord Pom Percy is a splendid one to behold

After practically living on this site before we came to Perth thought it only right i do an update (if anyone remembers us).

We had never visited Perth and knew nobody before we arrived!!!:scared:

After the initial stress of finding a home schools and cars and all the other stuff needed when we got here we began to live the dream Perth is a fantastic place and we really have lived the dream the kids have all settled into school every weekend we are busy exploring this fab place have been down to busselton for a long weekend visited bunbury Margeret River all beautiful places and soooooooo easy to drive to. After xmas went to Monkey Mia again fab and the drive was amazing also made us really appreciate how vast this place is driving for hours and only seeing a few other cars on the road Bazaar.

Robs working for a really good plastering firm with no hassels earns good money excellent.
Bought our house with swimming pool have nice bush views instaed of the fence we found in most property over here!!
Have met a really good group of friends and our social life has never been so busy.
Am part of a great netball team something i havent done since i was at junior school.
See Robbie Williams twice and was front row on the barrier omg he was amazing ..........
All in all we have fitted in well we have done what we set out to do try a new life and i do not regret for one minute what we have done BUT we totally underestimated how home sick we would get and how much we missed our friends and family back home we honestly believed we would be fine BUT although my sister has visited and my parents are due in 2 weeks we have come to the decision that our friends and family are a far more important part of our lives than the swimming pool and beach lifestyle so we are heading back to the UK and we are sooo excited.

For those heading over my advice would be come with a totally open mind dont have too many expectations we came with the view that we would give it a go if we loved it great if we hated it we would just head back , lifes too short for regrets and we are sooooo lucky to have been given the oppurtunity to have given it a go. Listen to everybodys views each one of us is different and will have different views on a place or way of life but one of those views will be similar to yours and its only then you can appreciate what others views are .....

Oh and we have a Holden Viva and Mitsubishi triton and 4x2 with pool in carramar to sell if anyones interested

Cheers Kris xx
l read alot of people who like OZ but move back for family and friends end up regreting it and ping ponging back to OZ.
Old Feb 4th 2007, 9:34 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Lord Pom Percy
l read alot of people who like OZ but move back for family and friends end up regreting it and ping ponging back to OZ.
Old Feb 7th 2007, 12:04 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

A quick update ........ our rollercoaster continues we are staying until we get our citzenship

Kris xx
Old Feb 7th 2007, 12:05 am
Happy Member

kris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond reputekris maynard has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
hi
tryed replying to your pm but cant!!!

kris xx
Old Feb 7th 2007, 12:09 am
Arrived Perth June 2006

Dawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to beholdDawn is a splendid one to behold

hi
tryed replying to your pm but cant!!!

kris xx
Hi Kris,,,,thats good news, always best to keep your options open, i'm pleased for you
Old Feb 7th 2007, 12:11 am
Happy Member

Originally Posted by Dawn
Hi Kris,,,,thats good news, always best to keep your options open, i'm pleased for you
Thanks luv

Kris xx
Old Feb 7th 2007, 2:21 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

A quick update ........ our rollercoaster continues we are staying until we get our citzenship

Kris xx
Thats a good decision. Well done. We are doing exactly the same
Old Feb 7th 2007, 3:00 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Kris xx

You really are doing the right thing, 6 mths in i wanted home my hubby was saying no wait 2 years for our citzenship he conviced me and in a few mths our 2 years are here!!! Although we will be staying longer now as we have set up a plumbing business so giving another 2 too see how thats goes!!

Good luck with it all it will be here b4 you know it!!!

kezxx
Old Feb 7th 2007, 5:35 am
Forum Regular

gordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to allgordon&laura is a name known to all

Thanks luv

Kris xx
Good for you!!!! I really do think you have made the best choice - 9 months isnt really long enough to make a good go of it - nobody said it would be easy in the beginning - if you get over the first year - you really have ran a marathon. Everything will settle down, try and remember the reasons you wanted to move to Oz in the first place. Homesickness is a bad thing, I dont doubt it, but if you can ride it through, everything will work out in the end.

I know weather isnt everything - but please believe me, it is absolutely freezing here at the moment - so much so, you really dont want to leave the house. My husband hasnt been able to work all week for frost. Its a nightmare.

Hang in there and best of luck

Laura and Gordon

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.