Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

3 months;could'nt hack it! back in Uk

3 months;could'nt hack it! back in Uk

Old May 11th 2007, 5:46 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 months;could'nt hack it! back in Uk

Originally Posted by yanH
Its seems to me (based on the posts that I have read on this site) that a high percentage of those that want to head back to the UK are located in Perth. Is this true and if so why? Is it Perth's perceived isolation or some other Perth specific factor? When we were first interested in coming to Australia we wanted to go to Perth and only ended up in Sydney due to a job offer. Now wondering if not going to Perth was a stroke of good luck!
I'm in Melbourne at the moment which is the only place in Australia I could stay for an extended period, yet I too am planning on going home.

I think some places in Australia have enough distractions for a while to keep us soon-to-go-homers occupied. In other places the reality sets in much quicker, Perth possibly being one of those places.
Old May 11th 2007, 7:25 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

We loved the area were in, just not long term! North NSW coast. Beautiful, not too busy, not too quiet.
However I simply posted this here as a reminder to those thinking of emigrating that not every story is one of success. If you are happy where you are I would suggest staying put!
I will not be drawn into explaining why, listing faults or personal reasons, why after "only" 3 months, yadda, yadda, or generally waffling on! People can look at my posts back in early December to get a taste.
Long live freedom of speech (and thought)!
Old May 11th 2007, 7:27 am
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seasprite
well, I wont say too much, no point, see returning to Uk forum for more detail! I used to scorn people like me, but it was not worth getting ill about, so we came back. I am too English and we love it here! We could not have done more research, visits, lists and plans etc. The reality can be quite a shock and quite a dull one! Lovely place for hols, but not for us for a lifetime. (or even 6 months!), Would recommend keeping a property in Uk if you can. Try it, you wont know til you have. Good luck to all. Sorry bit brief, but bit p*****d! Everyone here was a great help,although a bit too positive! If your heart aches for home then come back!
Not bei smart-this is an honest question-if you are "so English" why did you decide to leave in the first place.
Old May 11th 2007, 8:45 am
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Ah well perhaps I didn't realise it until I had a complete change of country. I do not mean English in the lager swilling sense either,I mean I love the English country side and smells and wildlife. I would feel awful living in a UK city too. I would never feel comfortable long term in any other country. I did not know that before our move. I have learned new and surprising things about myself. Anyway, enough "I" ing! We had to do it to scratch the itch I suppose and now we have...phew!
Old May 11th 2007, 8:57 am
Account Closed

Nomore is an unknown quantity at this point

Its seems to me (based on the posts that I have read on this site) that a high percentage of those that want to head back to the UK are located in Perth. Is this true and if so why? Is it Perth's perceived isolation or some other Perth specific factor? When we were first interested in coming to Australia we wanted to go to Perth and only ended up in Sydney due to a job offer. Now wondering if not going to Perth was a stroke of good luck!
I agree with you that it seems Perth is a place of unhappy people who want to go home, more than any other state.

I want to go home too and i'm in Perth. I wonder sometimes if i had moved to a different state i would have been happier. I will never know.
For me, Perth is boring. Yes it has lovely beaches, sunshine, ocean etc......(god i get sick of saying that)...but it has nothing else that interests me. I know some folk like all the peace and quiet in Perth, but it is too bloody quiet. The list continues but i can't be arsed explaining myself, i just don't like Perth and i am going home as soon as i can.
Old May 11th 2007, 8:59 am
BE Enthusiast

what, with the "ancient" history of Freo on your doorstep?!
Old May 11th 2007, 11:08 am
Grace and gratitude

pommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond reputepommybird has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Brewerboy1
Not bei smart-this is an honest question-if you are "so English" why did you decide to leave in the first place.
Hi Brewerboy - for some of us we don't realise how 'English' we are until we've moved to the other half of the world!! Our migration experience made me view England and indeed many other parts of my life so, so differently.

I left England feeling very disillusioned about the place.....during my 2 years away my heart literally ached for 'Englishness' .......and now we're back I love England from the bottom of my heart and always will!!
Old May 16th 2007, 2:27 am
Banned

Brewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud ofBrewerboy1 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by seasprite
Ah well perhaps I didn't realise it until I had a complete change of country. I do not mean English in the lager swilling sense either,I mean I love the English country side and smells and wildlife. I would feel awful living in a UK city too. I would never feel comfortable long term in any other country. I did not know that before our move. I have learned new and surprising things about myself. Anyway, enough "I" ing! We had to do it to scratch the itch I suppose and now we have...phew!
Fair enough, funnily I find Australia very English, I don't buy into the Idea that the UK and Oz are completely different.
You know there are more English parts of OZ like Tasmania or THe Southern highlands etc.
Old May 16th 2007, 2:42 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

I think as well the idea of Englishness is probably one that varies a lot from person to person. If you are from Wigan then your idea of Englishness and what England is about is probably a lot different than that of somebody from Launceston for example.

I wonder if where you are from is a big factor in how likely you are to want to return to the UK? You see lots of posts in the MBTTUK forum about how lovely it is to back in their lovely leafy green village. You don't see that many posts from people who are delighted to be back in their grimy inner city area.
Old May 16th 2007, 2:59 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

I You don't see that many posts from people who are delighted to be back in their grimy inner city area.
I'll post you one when I get back to Glasgow!
Old May 16th 2007, 4:20 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by mackinnon
I'll post you one when I get back to Glasgow!
I'll look forward to reading it
Old May 16th 2007, 6:31 am
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

I think a lot of Poms head for Perth.. I dunno why, they just do.. mind you saying that there's a lot on the Sunshine Coast too.. me n chopperboy included.

Apparently there's an estate north of Brisbane called North Lakes.. or as the Aussies call it.. "Little Britain".. nice.. hoodies, n muggins an all sorts goes on there... i'm glad i'm not living there would be like living back in saaafhampton again.. *shudders*.. I guess that's quite a generalisation, but we heard it from an Aussie guy...

I've said it before and I'll say it again.. I Love it here, I do feel sorry for those that come over here full of hope for a new life, and simply find it's the old one, slightly further away from their friends n relatives. Of course we miss our friends n families, we've made some cracking mates out here tho, it seems easier to meet people in Australia, people are more willing to make the effort than in england.. And I think we make more of an effort here too...

Good luck to all where ever you end up
Sonic x
Old May 18th 2007, 3:47 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Sonic. just wondering, are most of the mates that you have made pommie?

We have some really good friends living on the Gold Coast for the last 10 years, but most of them are poms or have a pommie partner?
Old May 18th 2007, 4:14 am
Now a Mummy!

SonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud ofSonicBird has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by auspal
Sonic. just wondering, are most of the mates that you have made pommie?

We have some really good friends living on the Gold Coast for the last 10 years, but most of them are poms or have a pommie partner?

Nah, most of them are Aussies, a couple of kiwis, some mates of ours moved over from UK, just before us, so we see them quite a bit. Have met other Poms thru Aussie mates, but most of our mates are Aussie. Bloody good show!

Sonic x
Old May 18th 2007, 4:49 am
BE Enthusiast

auspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud ofauspal has much to be proud of

Good for you Sonic, thats the way to go

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.