Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

3 months;could'nt hack it! back in Uk

3 months;could'nt hack it! back in Uk

Old May 10th 2007, 1:00 pm
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: 3 months;could'nt hack it! back in Uk

Originally Posted by seasprite
well, I wont say too much, no point, see returning to Uk forum for more detail! I used to scorn people like me, but it was not worth getting ill about, so we came back. I am too English and we love it here! We could not have done more research, visits, lists and plans etc. The reality can be quite a shock and quite a dull one! Lovely place for hols, but not for us for a lifetime. (or even 6 months!), Would recommend keeping a property in Uk if you can. Try it, you wont know til you have. Good luck to all. Sorry bit brief, but bit p*****d! Everyone here was a great help,although a bit too positive! If your heart aches for home then come back!
If you did enough research,you would know that its a HUGE commitment and anything under 12-18 months cannot be deemed long enough to have given it a real try.

Its just not for some people as they need a comfort zone of familiarity,you cant get that here in 3-6 months or less.
Old May 10th 2007, 2:11 pm
Just Joined

leftfieldlover is on a distinguished road

I felt really sad to read these posts. 2 or 3 months isn't long enough to get used to anywhere. If you move within the UK you will wish you hadn't done so every so often until you are settled. My brother went to Sydney over 20 years ago and loved it instantly - would never live in UK again, although he visits. Sister went out to stay with brother and met the love of her life. It took 10 years (yes, 10) to really settle down. She missed our mum when she had her children and had left lots of friends in UK, as well as her first niece. Basically her partner came first. He had never lived in UK and had no intention of ever doing so. I don't think she was ever seriously depressed and she made lots of friends early on, but I think because she had never imagined living there before, it took some getting used to. Maybe that is the key - all these people who have planned and dreamt for years really need to give the place at least a year. Those like my sister who was suddenly thrust into living there should perhaps keep a residence back in UK and sufficent funds for regular visits.
Old May 10th 2007, 2:18 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

It certainly wasn't something I had dreamt of for years, more of a " shall we give it a try?". So yes, maybe that was the problem in part. We certainly threw ourselves into the "lifestyle" and made friends and joined in.Look there is alot more to it than anyone else could possibly understand unless you were actually me! It is a very personal thing based on many many factors. I wrote a 14 page letter to try to explain it to my best friends! Having moved around the UK numerous times and having been thrust into a variety of situations it certainly was not just a comfort zone thing. Anyway, so what, who cares, we were not happy and now we are. Simple

Last edited by seasprite; May 10th 2007 at 2:22 pm.
Old May 10th 2007, 2:20 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brido
If you did enough research,you would know that its a HUGE commitment and anything under 12-18 months cannot be deemed long enough to have given it a real try.
By whose standards?
Old May 10th 2007, 2:29 pm
BE Forum Addict

wafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond reputewafc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by seasprite
It certainly wasn't something I had dreamt of for years, more of a " shall we give it a try?". So yes, maybe that was the problem in part. We certainly threw ourselves into the "lifestyle" and made friends and joined in.Look there is alot more to it than anyone else could possibly understand unless you were actually me! It is a very personal thing based on many many factors. I wrote a 14 page letter to try to explain it to my best friends! Having moved around the UK numerous times and having been thrust into a variety of situations it certainly was not just a comfort zone thing. Anyway, so what, who cares, we were not happy and now we are. Simple
Well said, I'm sick of people who are sat in the UK (or in Oz for that matter) saying that 2 or 3 or 4 months etc, etc is not long enough! Until they are out here doing it then they will never know and besides which as you rightly point out it is a total personal thing and whats right for some people is not right for other people, some people it does take time, some people know instantly that Oz is not the place for them but to tell people they "have not given it enough time" is hardly helpful is it.
Old May 10th 2007, 2:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

Quite,it just gets me all defensive, then I think, why bother I dont know nor care for these people
Old May 11th 2007, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wafc
Well said, I'm sick of people who are sat in the UK (or in Oz for that matter) saying that 2 or 3 or 4 months etc, etc is not long enough! Until they are out here doing it then they will never know and besides which as you rightly point out it is a total personal thing and whats right for some people is not right for other people
I'll start by saying that this post is not meant to be critical of anyone or their decisions. If you feel that you would be happier in the UK then go for it

But...

One thing that does occur to me is how can you judge things and make a fair comparison in 2/3 months? Your life cannot really have settled into a pattern in this time. It takes a period of time to settle into a job, home, circle of friends, school etc. From my own personal experience it was only after being here around 3 months that life settled into any sort of pattern.

As I said not intending to be critical just wondered what others thought on this subject.
Old May 11th 2007, 1:47 am

kez81 is an unknown quantity at this point

I think it sometimes easier to go back after a short time, the longer you are here the harder it can be to return.

I know of a couple who went back after 6 mths but at least they had the guts to do it in the first place, i think it doesn't take to long to know if it for you are not 6mths in i thought no nearly 2 years still think not for me you just know i think.

kezxx
Old May 11th 2007, 1:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Location: Surrey to Perth and back to Surrey & Back again, Why why why
sandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to beholdsandrainaus is a splendid one to behold

Originally Posted by yanH
I'll start by saying that this post is not meant to be critical of anyone or their decisions. If you feel that you would be happier in the UK then go for it

But...

One thing that does occur to me is how can you judge things and make a fair comparison in 2/3 months? Your life cannot really have settled into a pattern in this time. It takes a period of time to settle into a job, home, circle of friends, school etc. From my own personal experience it was only after being here around 3 months that life settled into any sort of pattern.

As I said not intending to be critical just wondered what others thought on this subject.

The moment I got off the plane I knew I had made a mistake, I just wanted to turn around and go home, (Gut feeling)

The first couple of months were hell, I cried all the time, we argued all the time I just wanted to go home, lot's of people told me I need to give it more time, so I did, I have a good circle of friends,and keep myself reasonably busy go to the Gym etc

15 months I have been here now, and I still feel the same as I did that first day I got here, I still have days (Most days) where I feel sick in the pit of my stomach,I still cry alot.

I know most people, will say go home then, It has not been as simple as that, OH really likes it here and we both had said before we came we would give it two years. Although we are now making plans to return at the moment.

Anyway I would not want anyone to feel like I have for the last 15 months, If you think and are sure this is not for you then why stay here being unhappy.

Sandra.

Last edited by sandrainaus; May 11th 2007 at 2:01 am.
Old May 11th 2007, 2:20 am
Home.

mackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond reputemackinnon has a reputation beyond repute

Uh oh, I'm seeing some Cult behaviour on this thread.

FYI:

1. Some people prefer their home country to Australia and wish to return there. Get this into your head Cult members.

2. Some people are very astute. They know relatively quickly that Australia is not for them. It does not take everyone "18 mths blah blah blah 2 years blah blah blah" to settle into a place.
Old May 11th 2007, 2:44 am

rossifumi will become famous soon enough

Each to their own I say. Good luck Seasprite.
Old May 11th 2007, 3:36 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute

It's always baffled me this 'give it two years' thing. Why two years

The first few months are difficult, and for the ones that aren't sure how they feel they need to get past that stage and then re-evaluate.

But some people do know the minute they get here whether they like it or not, so for those who don't, why tell them to give it two years. Now that the citizenship rules have changed are we going to start saying 'well you've got to give it 4 years'

Time goes really slowly when you're miserable, and no-one deserves to be miserable.
Old May 11th 2007, 4:41 am
Work to Live!

brido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of lightbrido is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by wafc
Well said, I'm sick of people who are sat in the UK (or in Oz for that matter) saying that 2 or 3 or 4 months etc, etc is not long enough! Until they are out here doing it then they will never know and besides which as you rightly point out it is a total personal thing and whats right for some people is not right for other people, some people it does take time, some people know instantly that Oz is not the place for them but to tell people they "have not given it enough time" is hardly helpful is it.
Ive been here 3 months already mate,so far so good.Its not all wine and roses,but its been great so far, and its not England with Sun that so many people hope it is. Its Australia,thats why a lot of people head home,because its not what they expected. Fair play to everyone else who has the bottle to try it,but i believe,as do countless others,jacking it in after 12 weeks makes the whole matter one expensive mistake.You wouldnt buy shares then pull them after a few months because they havent doubled yet!
Old May 11th 2007, 4:44 am
Work to Live!

Originally Posted by mackinnon
Uh oh, I'm seeing some Cult behaviour on this thread.

FYI:

1. Some people prefer their home country to Australia and wish to return there. Get this into your head Cult members.

2. Some people are very astute. They know relatively quickly that Australia is not for them. It does not take everyone "18 mths blah blah blah 2 years blah blah blah" to settle into a place.

You can also be 'astute' and realise very quickly that Australia IS for you too!
Old May 11th 2007, 5:01 am
BE Enthusiast

yanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of lightyanH is a glorious beacon of light

Its seems to me (based on the posts that I have read on this site) that a high percentage of those that want to head back to the UK are located in Perth. Is this true and if so why? Is it Perth's perceived isolation or some other Perth specific factor? When we were first interested in coming to Australia we wanted to go to Perth and only ended up in Sydney due to a job offer. Now wondering if not going to Perth was a stroke of good luck!

Last edited by yanH; May 11th 2007 at 5:26 am.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.