Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > Australia > The Update Forum
Reload this Page >

3 months;could'nt hack it! back in Uk

3 months;could'nt hack it! back in Uk

Old Apr 17th 2007, 8:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute
Default 3 months;could'nt hack it! back in Uk

well, I wont say too much, no point, see returning to Uk forum for more detail! I used to scorn people like me, but it was not worth getting ill about, so we came back. I am too English and we love it here! We could not have done more research, visits, lists and plans etc. The reality can be quite a shock and quite a dull one! Lovely place for hols, but not for us for a lifetime. (or even 6 months!), Would recommend keeping a property in Uk if you can. Try it, you wont know til you have. Good luck to all. Sorry bit brief, but bit p*****d! Everyone here was a great help,although a bit too positive! If your heart aches for home then come back!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 5:55 am
Just Joined

vik73 is just really nicevik73 is just really nicevik73 is just really nicevik73 is just really nicevik73 is just really nicevik73 is just really nicevik73 is just really nicevik73 is just really nicevik73 is just really nicevik73 is just really nicevik73 is just really nice
Unhappy Re: 3 months;could'nt hack it! back in Uk

Hi,

I really am so jealous, we've only been here 2 months and already I want to go home, trouble is my husband doesn't feel the same and my kids are getting on really well too, and to top the lot i've just found out i'm pregnant so I really want my family and friends around me!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 7:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Wendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond reputeWendy has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: 3 months;could'nt hack it! back in Uk

Originally Posted by seasprite
well, I wont say too much, no point, see returning to Uk forum for more detail! I used to scorn people like me, but it was not worth getting ill about, so we came back. I am too English and we love it here! We could not have done more research, visits, lists and plans etc. The reality can be quite a shock and quite a dull one! Lovely place for hols, but not for us for a lifetime. (or even 6 months!), Would recommend keeping a property in Uk if you can. Try it, you wont know til you have. Good luck to all. Sorry bit brief, but bit p*****d! Everyone here was a great help,although a bit too positive! If your heart aches for home then come back!
Hope it all works out for you back there. I think you're right, if it's really not for you then you should go back. Lifes too short to be unhappy.

Originally Posted by vik73
Hi,

I really am so jealous, we've only been here 2 months and already I want to go home, trouble is my husband doesn't feel the same and my kids are getting on really well too, and to top the lot i've just found out i'm pregnant so I really want my family and friends around me!

Congratulations on the baby. You are bound to feel like that with all the changes. Not only moving over here, but also your hormones will be all over the place as well. The first 6 months are usually quite tough on most people (even me and I'm happy here ), it's a lot to cope with at first, so try to take it easy and let it all wash over you (for now).

I do think that you need to sit your hubby down and tell him how you feel, you need his support right now. Even if him and the kids like it here, you deserve to be happy too.
Old Apr 18th 2007, 9:03 pm
BE Enthusiast

hedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nicehedgehog-girl is just really nice

Hi,

In all honesty, 2 months is not enough to have given it a good go, neither is 3 months. I suffered with homesickness badly in the first 6 months and then on and off for another 12 months but since then I have been great and totally glad I am here. I may not be here forever and maybe thats the thing that got me settled. I also forced myself to go out and meet friends and get them established....Give yourself a little bit of time and make friends it will help tons!
Old Apr 18th 2007, 11:29 pm
Where traffic lights rule

themerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond reputethemerlin has a reputation beyond repute

I agree. There are a few people who hated the first 6-12 months and after that loved it.

I also think if you keep your home in the UK it makes it too easy to go back at the first hurdle.

But good luck back in the UK.

Originally Posted by hedgehog-girl
In all honesty, 2 months is not enough to have given it a good go, neither is 3 months. I suffered with homesickness badly in the first 6 months and then on and off for another 12 months but since then I have been great and totally glad I am here. I may not be here forever and maybe thats the thing that got me settled. I also forced myself to go out and meet friends and get them established....Give yourself a little bit of time and make friends it will help tons!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 12:05 am
BE Forum Addict

jothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond reputejothefw has a reputation beyond repute

It's sad to hear people who come so far but then go back - but it's hard to judge too, many people are crippled by their homesickness, or the lack of "the right" job, or illness at home or kids don't like it - you name it! ... it's all very different for everyone. Personally I'd agree with saying 2 months is a short time - I think my husband would've returned at that point but now we're over the 6 mth hurdle and we're settled, happy, secure and very much "at home".

Hope UK gives you what want this time round!
Old Apr 19th 2007, 3:47 pm
BE Enthusiast

seasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond reputeseasprite has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies;
3 months was long enough for me...I have lived there before too. Everyone IS different though and until you go and live it you won't know. Personally I feel life is too short to live hand to mouth in a place you do not want to be, that is not quite as expected and would tear our family apart. May be the problem was that we were very happy in the Uk ! Anyway one day I am sure I will be glad we went there. Not for a while though.Good luck all you expats and expats to be.

p.s in my humble opinion if you are happy with your life then moving is really not worth the trauma, waste of life and money. Be warned.

Last edited by seasprite; Apr 19th 2007 at 3:50 pm.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 1:02 am
Master of verbal pish©

soapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond reputesoapy© has a reputation beyond repute

Thanks for the replies;
3 months was long enough for me...I have lived there before too. Everyone IS different though and until you go and live it you won't know.
i have to agree!
i think 3 month can be long enough for some people. even 2 weeks can be enough. if u know u hate the place and could never live here, then it doesnt matter how long u have been here.
if someone is feeling a bit home sick, then thats something they will get over in time.

good luck and i do hope it works out.
oh and a very good post(the first post) very short and left very little for people to pick holes in

soapy
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 3:16 am
BE Forum Addict

bridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond reputebridie has a reputation beyond repute

Hi,

Try and give yourself a bit of time if you can, I'd say between two and three months is the time it hits home that you live here, it's not a holiday, plus like someone else said, your hormones will be all over the place.

Have you got friends here? I felt quite lonely at first (I work from home so didnt get to meet people at work either) but once I got a few good friends it made the world of difference.

There are usually groups of mums to be that meet up, ask your GP or midwife (if you've seen one yet) if they know where you can find out about such places.
Old Apr 22nd 2007, 8:33 am
BE Enthusiast

stevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to beholdstevensfamily is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the replies;
3 months was long enough for me...I have lived there before too. Everyone IS different though and until you go and live it you won't know. Personally I feel life is too short to live hand to mouth in a place you do not want to be, that is not quite as expected and would tear our family apart. May be the problem was that we were very happy in the Uk ! Anyway one day I am sure I will be glad we went there. Not for a while though.Good luck all you expats and expats to be.

p.s in my humble opinion if you are happy with your life then moving is really not worth the trauma, waste of life and money. Be warned.
Seasprite,

I am sorry that it was not for you. You come from a beautiful part of the UK (we are from Cornwall) but Dorset it also expensive. Why did you decide to go to Oz? like us maybe because you hope that selling what are some of the most expensive properties in the UK (Dorset/ cornwall) would allow a better standard of life in Oz, cashing in?. Perth seems so expensive, property now being almost the second most expensive place to live apart from Sydney. I read in your post that you are almost living hand to mouth.

We are planning to move to Victoria but we also looked at Adelaide. Adelaide is beautiful and has more of a west country feel to it, being small and close nit communities?, would it not be worth having a look? I am sorry this is your family and no one can interfere with your decision but you have been so brave to have this adventure and I just feel it would be great to see if you like Adelaide before you leave Oz altogether.

Australia is a huge country and so different in each location. I have been all over Oz but must admit there are several places I could not live because they do not have that "home" feel, they do not feel familiar. I will get slated for that statement but what I mean is that I am not going because I do not like UK but because I love the Oz values and attitude to life and the sport and outdoor life for my two children, not because I hate the UK and its beauty. If you can please take a look at Adelaide / Victoria (the great ocean road feels like Devon / Cornwall). Try a second adventure before you go home?

Best of luck for your future whatever you decide to do and well done you for taking that step to have this adventure (good or bad) in the first place.

Cheryl
Old Apr 23rd 2007, 12:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

[QUOTE=stevensfamily;4679779]Seasprite,

I am sorry that it was not for you. You come from a beautiful part of the UK (we are from Cornwall) but Dorset it also expensive. Why did you decide to go to Oz? like us maybe because you hope that selling what are some of the most expensive properties in the UK (Dorset/ cornwall) would allow a better standard of life in Oz, cashing in?. Perth seems so expensive, property now being almost the second most expensive place to live apart from Sydney. I read in your post that you are almost living hand to mouth.

Thanks but we are back in Dorset now and loving it. I feel alive and sane again. I dont care about the expensiveness of the Uk, we can cope as we have better wages here and I can continue with my career very easily.We did not go to "cash in" but just to see if we could improve on what we had.We could not top what we have here except with a bigger house nearer the sea and for me there is more to life! (husband would disagree a bit but then he is windsurfing mad). I do feel if you have to live in a foreign land in a place that reminds you of home then perhaps you should be at home? Anyway, thanks for the suggestions,it is good to hear other perspectives and ideas.
Old Apr 25th 2007, 11:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Bexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond reputeBexie has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=seasprite;4684511]
Originally Posted by stevensfamily
Seasprite,

Thanks but we are back in Dorset now and loving it. I feel alive and sane again. I dont care about the expensiveness of the Uk, we can cope as we have better wages here and I can continue with my career very easily.We did not go to "cash in" but just to see if we could improve on what we had.We could not top what we have here except with a bigger house nearer the sea and for me there is more to life! (husband would disagree a bit but then he is windsurfing mad). I do feel if you have to live in a foreign land in a place that reminds you of home then perhaps you should be at home? Anyway, thanks for the suggestions,it is good to hear other perspectives and ideas.
Sorry to be brief, but I wish you all the best.
Bexie
Old Apr 26th 2007, 1:59 pm

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi,

Holy crap!!! hang on girl, i was in sunshine coast last year, discovered i was pregnant, wanted to come home, hormones going all over the place, suffering from severe hyperemesis, totally pissed off, so came back to uk. now have lovely baby girl (and 2 lovely big girls!!) and we are coming back out to australia in may!!! wish to god i had stuck it out and not let my hormones get the better of me. ping ponging is a financial killer. dont rush into anything. i had this idea in my head that i wanted my family and friends around me too when i disdcovered i was pregnant - hardly seen any of the buggers during the 12 months we have been back in the uk!!

stay put, sunshine coast is glorious
Old May 8th 2007, 1:38 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: in a place near the river and the sea where the sun always shines
debbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond reputedebbiemc has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by RooksieJ
Holy crap!!! hang on girl, i was in sunshine coast last year, discovered i was pregnant, wanted to come home, hormones going all over the place, suffering from severe hyperemesis, totally pissed off, so came back to uk. now have lovely baby girl (and 2 lovely big girls!!) and we are coming back out to australia in may!!! wish to god i had stuck it out and not let my hormones get the better of me. ping ponging is a financial killer. dont rush into anything. i had this idea in my head that i wanted my family and friends around me too when i disdcovered i was pregnant - hardly seen any of the buggers during the 12 months we have been back in the uk!!

stay put, sunshine coast is glorious

hi hun, congratulations on bub glad youre coming back. i'm just catching up, havent been around for an age, cant believe youve been back 12 months though!
Old May 10th 2007, 11:01 am

RooksieJ is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by debbiemc
hi hun, congratulations on bub glad youre coming back. i'm just catching up, havent been around for an age, cant believe youve been back 12 months though!
hi mate - i just cant believe what has happened in the last 12 months!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.