Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Wikiposts

SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Old Apr 27th 2008, 9:58 am
BE Enthusiast

loafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant futureloafy has a brilliant future
Default Re: SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Originally Posted by Gremmie
Always amazes me that i can leave on a Thursday to unload in North Carolina for Monday and still no reload ready until well after dinner time, hello im going there so maybe start looking or booking a load for me to pick up that day instead of on the day eh

I had the same discusion with my boss,,not argument,but discusion. His reply was as follows.. With the fuel increase a 2000mile trip cost approx 700$ more...which means instead of doing full return loads he's looking for LTL (groupage) loads and maxing out the volume/weight as poss.. I rarly sit more than a few hours whether with a reefer or my flatdeck... and doing the maths myself i can understand his reasoning...
If i have a layover he pays (may not like it tho) but he pays... if i have no dispatch within 3 hours he pays,,if i do extra work ie,,cleane out the reefer,load myself machines etc. he pays.. so i can understand when sometimes he shops arround for loads...

Hi Gremmie,
I was just having a look through your blog their mate, very good indeed.
Seafood only do full loads back up to Toronto, i'm guessing this is where they get good rates from on most of the trips. To be honest i was asked if i would consider doing deck work and said yes but then found out it was just around Montreal area so gave it a miss. They said they wouldn't run a deck for less than $2,20 / 50 a mile and going further ie in the States which i would have gladly done didn't make it pay for them. I kicked that into touch i tell ya.
LOAFY...
Old Apr 27th 2008, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by loafy
Hi Gremmie,
I was just having a look through your blog their mate, very good indeed.
Seafood only do full loads back up to Toronto, i'm guessing this is where they get good rates from on most of the trips. To be honest i was asked if i would consider doing deck work and said yes but then found out it was just around Montreal area so gave it a miss. They said they wouldn't run a deck for less than $2,20 / 50 a mile and going further ie in the States which i would have gladly done didn't make it pay for them. I kicked that into touch i tell ya.
LOAFY...
Thanks for the compliment....it is my understanding that the ful loads aren't so profitable as the ltl,,so my boss try's to mix it so he gets the best of both worlds..
Old May 1st 2008, 10:59 am
Forum Regular

chris12 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by chris12
Hello bevery oddy.

May i say a big thank you to loafy for his kind words!!! COCK....
Well look at me aye, over here in PEI and loving every minute of it. Well what loafy said was true i no longer work for seafood because my wife got a job over here as a nurse which means she is here as a grade b skilled worker which is slightly better than a truck driver and she got a 4 year permit so i bummed an open 4 year permit from her. Oh by the way chel thanks and i really love you.

As far as seafood is concerned i really enjoyed working there for the short time i was there, it's probably the best company to work for on the island, trucking that is.

When Robin was in HR things were a bit more relaxed and he is a very approachable bloke, Oh yes by the way he is married now congratulations m8.

He is now an outbound despatcher and is very good at it i must say. NOW replacing Robin in HR is a bloke named Danny. There the ass licking and the niceties about seafood stop. He is very good at his job as in thorough in his approach to things concerning seafood he even wears a seafood watch for gods sake. he has in my eyes only got a couple of floors within his character.

1, He is the most arrogant bastard you could ever wish to meet.

2, He doesn't talk to you he talks at you usually as if your a f--king idiot.

3, tries to be very patronizing in his approach but basically makes himself look like the items in 1 and 2.

I went into the office on monday of this week to hand in my notice.
I sat down with Danny to explain why i was leaving and we went through all that which by the way wasn't for other work at the time, i had hurt my back in quebec the other week pot holing in the truck my seat grounded out and jarred my back. Also i miss my wife and kids to much to be away from home now so told him all this. And he said ok everything stops from now. your money will be calculated from now to include what they owe me and if i owe them any. i wasn't given chance to work my notice but then he told me i would receive my final pay a week this friday. as we get paid weekly i asked why i had to wait for my money? He said as i was leaving val who does the wages who by the way is really nice. has to calculate all the monies owed and last weeks log books and she won't have time to do it on a normal payroll day. (what a load of cock Danny) your just being an ass ole.

Bill keith the owner of seafood was kind enough to let me store some furniture in the warehouse they have which at present is only used for the friday lunch time BBQ. I reminded danny of this and offered to pay for the storage until the end of next month when i move into my new house, he said he would see what he could sort out after talking to bill.

On the monday night at 10.30pm i had a frantic phone call from kerry to say Danny had been on the phone looking for me and couldn't get hold of me. She said Danny wanted my stuff out the truck that night or it would be on the front lawn of seafood on the instructions of Bill.

just as i put the phone down to her Danny rang me and informed me that it wasn't my truck they wanted empty is was all my stuff out of the warehouse he said they wanted it out by Tuesday or it would be removed by them.:curse:

I had to tell him in no uncertain terms what would happen to him if that happened and reminded him that it was personal a private stuff and would arrange asap to get it out. and left it at that.

Rang him the next day to tell him i had arranged a van for saturday morning to collect it and asked if any body would be there (which there always is on saturday) and the reply i got was we will have to see we have to sort our own problems out as well as addressing yours. Thanks Danny you really made me feel as if i was part of a team.

So as far as seafood is concerned i'm very confused at the moment and would advise anybody wishing to work there to make sure you do exactly as your told, let them sack you if you want to leave, and don't ask them for anything if you don't want to be indebted for the rest of your life........and for gods sake check your wages every week cuz they are never right.

Oh yes and bye the way. I didn't use Seafood to get here. i could have worked anywhere and so could my wife.

We will see what happens this friday if i get my money or if i have to wait like Danny said till next friday. And i will let you all Know how it goes saturday with the move.:
Well Hi all,

Just to keep you informed, Rang Seafood today and spoke to Danny about the money i'm owed for my last weeks work plus holiday pay accrued and my $300 retainer and the response i got was. "it's in the system and won't be paid until next week" I of coarse said that is not acceptable and needed my money tomorrow (pay day). so Danny replied "theres nothing i can do about it we've only just got confirmation from Dole (shipping company) of your last trip." Bearing in mind we get paid weekly from the previous weeks work and it's took 2 weeks to prosses???? i Don't f###ing think so!!!!

So any how i said to Danny this is not acceptable and i would like to speak to bill the owner? his reply. "ok" then put the F###ing phone down on me.

So when i finished work i went to seafood and spoke to bill after waiting for about 5 mins. He told me he signed my paper work off on tuesday which just so happens to be the day the wages are done so i wonder what happened to it between the time it was signed off and the wages actually being done??? Danny??????? in the system my ass. will let you know what happens.....
Old May 1st 2008, 11:10 am
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Blimey.
Not read this thread for a while.
Hope you get your money boys.
Old May 1st 2008, 11:13 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by koogar
Blimey.
Not read this thread for a while.
Hope you get your money boys.
hi koug,

me too lawyers are expensive here.
Old May 1st 2008, 11:29 am
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

hi koug,

me too lawyers are expensive here.
How long have you been there now Chris?
I was only in Canada for 13/14 months and luckily never had any problems getting paid.
To be honest, there isn't really much I miss about Canada, except perhaps pulling the turnpikes.
Glad I did it for the experience though.
Old May 2nd 2008, 7:43 am
BE Enthusiast

CurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really niceCurtNIR is just really nice

I just hope Canadian Trucking employers, in general, dont get the wrong idea from their experiences from some of their immigrants they hire in.

No dig at chris, but thats just how i see it. Its worrying.
Old May 2nd 2008, 12:35 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by CurtNIR
I just hope Canadian Trucking employers, in general, dont get the wrong idea from their experiences from some of their immigrants they hire in.

No dig at chris, but thats just how i see it. Its worrying.

It's not the company i worked for. when certain people take over certain jobs with a bit of power behind them they have to be seen to do somthing to justify there new role. Seafood is probably one of the best companies to work for on PEI. and i stand by that. The job it's self didn't suit me so i left, end of. one person and one person alone is making it hard to cut the ties with them completley. thats all.

Chris.

Last edited by chris12; May 2nd 2008 at 12:36 pm. Reason: spelling.
Old May 2nd 2008, 12:42 pm
Forum Regular

How long have you been there now Chris?
I was only in Canada for 13/14 months and luckily never had any problems getting paid.
To be honest, there isn't really much I miss about Canada, except perhaps pulling the turnpikes.
Glad I did it for the experience though.
Hi koug.

Started for Seafood in sept 07. enjoyed it at first but soon lost interest with it after a while been there seen it syndrome. Wife works here as a nurse and i now do a job in property maintenance, Less money but home every night and weekends. As i said origionally didn't move here to get rich. way of life is why i'm here and at the moment i'm loving it. Move into our house we bought nexet month then i can say i'm home.

All the best bud. Chris.
Old May 3rd 2008, 3:50 am
Whatacomplete Member

Hi koug.

Started for Seafood in sept 07. enjoyed it at first but soon lost interest with it after a while been there seen it syndrome. Wife works here as a nurse and i now do a job in property maintenance, Less money but home every night and weekends. As i said origionally didn't move here to get rich. way of life is why i'm here and at the moment i'm loving it. Move into our house we bought nexet month then i can say i'm home.

All the best bud. Chris.
Good for you mate.
Glad you found what you were looking for
Old May 3rd 2008, 5:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Good for you mate.
Glad you found what you were looking for

And are you working yet Tigger
Old May 4th 2008, 2:08 am
Whatacomplete Member

Originally Posted by Gremmie
And are you working yet Tigger
Nope
Got loads of applications in, but they seem to advertise a month before they want someone here.
Either that or I get a 'give us a call after your residency is sorted'.
My residency interview is at the end of May.
I'll let you all know what happens...........
Old May 5th 2008, 5:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Dont take NO for an answer
Old May 8th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

Due to the PM's I have been getting I think it is only fair to tell everybody what I have been telling them.

IN MY OPINION (so I can't be sued) Seafood is not the company that it was. I don't know if it is because of the DOT, the change in HR or just sheer incompetence of some of the dispatchers (or a combination of all of the above.)

Would we recommend you coming to work for seafood ?the answer is No. If it goes back to how it was 3 months ago then yes but:

Now for the facts. April's bonus has still not been paid, the bridge layover has still not been paid and the waiting times have got to be silly.

The phrase "couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery" springs to mind.

PEI is still wonderful and there are lots of companies out here looking for drivers. We still have a lot of great friends and a good social network but the job is dire.

We know that 9 drivers have quit in the last couple of weeks Feel free to contact Danny to ask about the facts I have stated it would be interesting to hear his response. I dont mind being quoted...

Last edited by lilacheart; May 8th 2008 at 1:09 pm. Reason: Thought it was 6 drivers but just been told it was 9
Old May 9th 2008, 12:32 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by kerlynkeo
Due to the PM's I have been getting I think it is only fair to tell everybody what I have been telling them.

IN MY OPINION (so I can't be sued) Seafood is not the company that it was. I don't know if it is because of the DOT, the change in HR or just sheer incompetence of some of the dispatchers (or a combination of all of the above.)

Would we recommend you coming to work for seafood ?the answer is No. If it goes back to how it was 3 months ago then yes but:

Now for the facts. April's bonus has still not been paid, the bridge layover has still not been paid and the waiting times have got to be silly.

The phrase "couldn't organise a piss up in a brewery" springs to mind.

PEI is still wonderful and there are lots of companies out here looking for drivers. We still have a lot of great friends and a good social network but the job is dire.

We know that 9 drivers have quit in the last couple of weeks Feel free to contact Danny to ask about the facts I have stated it would be interesting to hear his response. I dont mind being quoted...
YOU GO GET EM KLINK

WILL POST MY LATEST NEWS OVER THE WEEKEND.........

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.