Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Old May 28th 2008, 11:15 pm
Forum Regular

chris12 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Originally Posted by koogar
sounds like a good job that Chris.
I might apply for it myself

You go for it m8. you'll never look back!!!!!! sorry you won't be able to look back the little dwarf will be wedged so far up your ass you won't see him thats why i think he has tunnell vision

Good luck to all that come to PEI, Me and my wife love here. it is now home we have both found decent people to work for. As loafy said this will be my last entry on this thread i think it has now run it's coarse.......if any one needs to know anything or has any questions about our experiences you are all quite welcome to PM me.

A big thank you to you all for your kind words and support for me and Loafy on this thread and the british ex pats one too.

All the best to you all. xxxxxxxxx

Old Jul 19th 2008, 10:46 am
Just Joined

Loz 44 is an unknown quantity at this point
Thumbs up Re: SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Heh Chris,
Well finally found ya? dont Know if you'll recieve this mate,if not hope someone else who knows ya will let me know your all ok out there in Canada??
Never stop thinking of you all, miss your friendship mate ,but sure you've met some great new Buddy's out on the road by now .seems like forever since you left,I work for a company called Carlson now,it's great got brand new Scania Transporter.The guys are a good bunch,but not got close to em really,cos just keep self to self. Me & Debs still going strong,3yrs now!!! I'm a Grandad too,Joe the Little T#@T couldn't keep in his pants "HA HA" If you get chance to e mail 0r call me please do ok?.. send my love to the family, Bloody miss our BBQ on the roadside time mate. Take care Loz
Old Oct 18th 2008, 7:17 pm
BE Forum Addict

Location: 9 years in the canadian trucking industry... Niverville MB
Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

for those newbies that might be interested in this company read from the begining
Old Oct 30th 2008, 12:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

Quote: Originally Posted by kerlynkeo Now I'm no longer working 23 hours a day for Seaweed Express I might have time to play with the pooter once in a while. Had some more news this morning from a very reliable source who says SE are "no longer involved in the PNP". Also there seem to be some problems with mortgages. Because driver's pay is commission based it looks as if you will need a minimum 30% deposit to get a mortgage. Apparently an
English driver who no-one will name has stirred up a lot of shit over here recently and it's having some major knock on effects. At least the local government know who it is and he has no chance of PR. I have a day off tomorrow and I will see if I can pump Robert Cantwell for more info which I will pass on if and when I get it.
Cheers
Bob Bob, we can tell you seldom use this forum this post should have gone on the Seafood thread not in the joke section,,,get ya missus to re do it pal
__________________ Hi Kerlyn again. I have reposted this at Gremmies request.. The bottom line is If you are coming over here please please get a definitive answer about the PNP. We have now been told that they are no longer allowed to be part of the scheme. They have been asked directly but wont give a straight answer. I would suggest getting their response in writing.

The second point is, if you are intending to apply for a mortgage out here check out with the banks explaining your situation. Somebody has caused such an unpoar at RBC they started looking into contracts of employment and came to the conclusion that they are commission based and do not have a salary. This has caused problems for at least one family over here and has worried others. It is now starting to go countywide and may inpact truckers across canada.

Bob felt you should all be aware of these issues and it still maybe a whirlwind with nothing behind it BUT check out your individual circumstances before you make any life changing decisions..

</IMG></IMG></IMG></IMG>
Old Oct 30th 2008, 1:41 pm
Just Joined

OldBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi
Im new to this site.
We have applied to SE and have been reading the posts. Im Glad someone from SE has answered the questions as we were getting a bit worried. But i have a question about mortgage's. How long ago did RBC change there mind as we spoke to them about getting a mortgage and they didnt seem to think we would'nt have a problem. We told them or situation and that we were coming out to work for SE and told them we were paid per mile as per our contract from SE. Mind this is going back a month now.

Hope someone can help

OldBrit
Old Oct 30th 2008, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

lilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant futurelilacheart has a brilliant future

Sorry to say but this has been recent..

The family I am very close with were pre approved 5 weeks ago subject to a satisfactory probation period at another trucking company.

They were just about at the closing stage when they were informed more deposit was needed. If the trucking companies would guarantee a salary it would be ok but they are reluctant to do so. If this years potato season was anything to go by I can understand because there was very little work for truckers for a month or so due to the ground being to wet to harvest.

Double check with them but I would be surprised if they give you a differnet answer. The mortgage adviser concerned was a P. Fraser, he is a great bloke and will fight toooth and nail for you. Is he the person you spoke to?

Last edited by lilacheart; Oct 30th 2008 at 1:51 pm.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 1:55 pm
Just Joined

OldBrit is an unknown quantity at this point

wow thats not good at all. So has this all started because of whats going on with the economy?

Wow i think we need to start looking again.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 2:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have no idea if it is the ecomony or the fact that they now understand contracts more, I know a realtor has meet with a trucking company to discuss the problem.

Dont let it change your plans unless you have no option.

Just check out your circumstances and be sure of what will happen once you arrive, you need to be aware that things might not be as simple as they were. It is still a wonderful place to live and worth a fight if need be.
Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry Robin. It's not intended to stir shit but some people are making life changing decisions and I had information I felt was important to pass along. I bear no ill will against you in particular or SE in general (except posibbly Danny but then I still think he is just a talking arse and I have yet to meet anyone who disagrees). You personally went out of your way to help all the guys who have come over. We all owe you more than we could ever repay. Thank you.

Trucking companies here pay per mile. The banks have recently decided to treat this as "commission" since no work = no pay and are more reluctant to lend than they would on a salaried position or on a guaranteed minimum income. They will also not lend until after the completion of your three month probation which is now apparently three months after you start earning at SE rather than three months after you arrive as was previously the case. This information from the guy at RBC who is actually trying to arrange the mortgages for UK truckers in PEI.

The PNP is a government run scheme and the government decide IF they want so sponsor individuals based on a number of factors including the likelihood of them staying in the job after the paperwork is finished. On the evidence of the last 12 months or so very few stay at SE even to the end of the work permit. This has been noticed by the government and will affect future applications. This from a guy with very good connections in government who is also working hard at getting us immigrants settled and assimilated.
Both sources I consider to be impeccable and neither has anything against seafood

Bob[/URL]
Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:12 pm
BE Forum Addict

Gremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond reputeGremmie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kerlynkeo
Sorry Gremmie. Operator error.
Sorry Robin. It's not intended to stir shit but some people are making life changing decisions and I had information I felt was important to pass along. I bear no ill will against you in particular or SE in general (except posibbly Danny but then I still think he is just a talking arse and I have yet to meet anyone who disagrees). You personally went out of your way to help all the guys who have come over. We all owe you more than we could ever repay. Thank you.

Trucking companies here pay per mile. The banks have recently decided to treat this as "commission" since no work = no pay and are more reluctant to lend than they would on a salaried position or on a guaranteed minimum income. They will also not lend until after the completion of your three month probation which is now apparently three months after you start earning at SE rather than three months after you arrive as was previously the case. This information from the guy at the bank who is actually trying to arrange the mortgages for UK truckers in PEI.

The PNP is a government run scheme and the government decide IF they want so sponsor individuals based on a number of factors including the likelihood of them staying in the job after the paperwork is finished. On the evidence of the last 12 months or so very few stay at SE even to the end of the work permit. This has been noticed by the government and will affect future applications. This from a guy with very good connections in government who is also working hard at getting us immigrants settled and assimilated.
Both sources I consider to be impeccable and neither has anything against seafood

Bob
A point of order here,,,in the terms and conditions of the LMO the employer HAS to gaurente a minimum wage so even if you do 0,iles they have to pay that amount....i would sugest when applying for a mortgage take ya LMO and contract oif work with you
Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

You have hit the nail on the head , this is the problem

It is open to interpretation, what is the difference between a projected income and a salary.

On my LMO it says the wage will be $*****, this was not guaranteed and I made nowhere near what it said I would... This was due to me having time off as and when I wanted to but also there were quiet periods that had not been anticipated
Old Oct 30th 2008, 6:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

You have hit the nail on the head , this is the problem

It is open to interpretation, what is the difference between a projected income and a salary.

On my LMO it says the wage will be $*****, this was not guaranteed and I made nowhere near what it said I would... This was due to me having time off as and when I wanted to but also there were quiet periods that had not been anticipated
i think you will find they were supposed to pay you
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

This has been noticed by the government and will affect future applications.

Bob,

Are you talking about Seafood Drivers applying for PNP / PR or ALL driver applications accross PEI as this would have major implications for the PEI Industry.

Cheers Dave
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:40 pm
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
[/COLOR]

Bob,

Are you talking about Seafood Drivers applying for PNP / PR or ALL driver applications accross PEI as this would have major implications for the PEI Industry.

Cheers Dave
This would imply that PEI are going to discontinue PNP for truckers
i think it would be prudent for PEI hopefuls to contact the local government and clarify the situation
Old Oct 30th 2008, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by OldBrit
Wow i think we need to start looking again.
Why do you need to start looking again & at what will you be looking at?

As nobody can give you a cast Iron guarantee you will eventually be granted PR status why are you in such a rush to buy somewhere. Why not rent till you get PR then if anything does go tits you pack up the house hand the keys back and leave, rather than having the stress of trying to sell a house at the dame time and getting a pittance for it coz buyers will know your desperate to sell it as you have to leave the country.

Also the exchange rate is Pish so why not leave your funds in the UK and move when the spot rate you have agreed is achieved.

When we visited last year we were told then that to have much of a chance of qualifying for mortgage approval we would be looking at approx 30% deposit so I don't think the rules have changed but in light of the current market situation banks are tightening up as they won't be caught with their pants down again. Just as the markets around the world are shite so are the lenders regulations it's the same here in the UK, try and get a 80% mortgage here....you'll be lucky they might be advertised but you have to have some good credit score to be approved and alot are now asking you to PROVE 100% in an interview witht he manager you can achieve repayments with 12 months deffo work....or you can whistle.

The same old same old saying.....it's a buyers market but where's all the buyers....they can't get a mortgage...such is the world today...get over it and get on...we can't sell the house after nearly a year you just have to accept todays markets and adjust if you don't you'll go mad.

Last edited by DAVIE_MAC; Oct 30th 2008 at 7:52 pm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.