Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Wikiposts

SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Old Nov 16th 2007, 10:22 am
BE Forum Addict

DAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of lightDAVIE_MAC is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
Hey, where's mine?
Here ya go Andy Pick one of these.

For now anyway.

We will be bringing over Brock n Bute (the new puppy) and when she's old enough breeding them so you and Kerry can fight each other for pick of the litter.

They both have fantastic Pedigrees and should have excellent puppies...fingers crossed...will stop Brock trying to do OH at every op.
Attached Thumbnails SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.-dscf0431.jpg  

Last edited by DAVIE_MAC; Nov 16th 2007 at 10:26 am.
Old Nov 16th 2007, 2:28 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by DAVIE_MAC
Here ya go Andy Pick one of these.

For now anyway.

We will be bringing over Brock n Bute (the new puppy) and when she's old enough breeding them so you and Kerry can fight each other for pick of the litter.

They both have fantastic Pedigrees and should have excellent puppies...fingers crossed...will stop Brock trying to do OH at every op.
thanks davie, i'll take the far left one
Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:54 am
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

Back to the subjest in hand,
a little trucker math for you guys on how to work out your hourly rate when driving OTR on PPM:

In response to some people who are quick to critisize OTR drivers for not being in compliance with DOT regs, I am posting this to show the difficulty/absurdity of Hours of Operation regs. Factoring-in that drivers are paid by the mile, OTR drivers are essentially coerced to falsify logbooks and/or run beyond posted speel limits to earn more $$$.

A common mistake OTR drivers make in calculating their hourly pay is taking gross pay, and dividing this by total hours worked in a week. This method fails to factor-in overtime pay of time and a half rate for hours worked beyond 40 hours in a week. The proper method of calculation is to apply algebra math. The algebraic formula to calculate OTR pay is 40x + 1.5xy = Gross Pay; where solving for "X" is your hourly pay, and "Y" are hours worked beyond 40 hours.

To illustrate, say you earned $830 gross in a week and had worked 85 hours to earn this pay. This 85 hours includes delays at the shipper, receiver, traffic congestion, and sitting down to do your paperwork. If you were an hourly-paid local driver, you would be on the clock and be compensated for this extra time. Setting up the equation, its 40x + (1.5x times 45) = $830; in close-parenthesis, I had substituted "Y" for 45, the hours worked in excess of 40 hours. Multiplying whats inside the parenthesis, it now reads 40x + 67.5x = $830. Combining/adding the variables, it now reads 107.5x = $830. Dividing both sides by 107.5 will solve for "X" , which is X = $7.72; this is the equivalent hourly pay of earning $830 gross in 85 hours of work in a week.

After careful analysis, you will find that the more you're delayed at the shipper, receiver, and traffic congestion, the higher your weekly hours of working goes up, and the lower your hourly pay comes down. To make up for this, you would have to run two logbooks and not take your mandated 36-hour consecutive restbreak. You can also increase your daily earnings by running beyond the posted speed limit, providing you don't get caught (and pay the speeding fine).

Take into consideration the passage of NAFTA, and the influx of immigrant drivers from 3rd-world nations who are here on a working visa. American truckers cannot compete with these low-paid drivers, who come from nations with over 50% unemployment rate. It is best to leave OTR trucking to these immigrant drivers, and for indegenous American drivers to quit OTR and settle down to an hourly-paying local driving job.

If you're an OTR driver who never excelled beyond arithmetic, take this algebraic formula, 40x + 1.5xy = Gross Pay, and show it to any high school kid who had completed elementary algebra. They can easily calculate your hourly pay for you.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:15 am
Forum Regular

Scott66 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by Big Truck
a little trucker math for you guys on how to work out your hourly rate when driving OTR on PPM etc etc etc
Good post.

But unless you can find another back door into Canada then OTR via PNP is the only way short term.

Another point made before on this thread is also a good one....you would be better off working for another company other than SE even though the cost of living is higher say for example H&R area where the wages are higher when it evens itself out your far better off...unless SE can give any cast iron figures on extra pay...Lay overs / New York / Border crossings / washing down / extra pick ups drops......so many unanswered questions or questions you can't get an answer to even when you call them direct...skirt round the subject very poor and unprofessional IMHO.

Never mind I'm off to Manitoba...decision made....their loss is my gain.

PS The 2 guys who started this thread have not posted anything on it in 18 days...surely they can't still be on the road when all the other SE drivers can only get a max of 5 days away ($510) if they're lucky or maybe on route back to UK or even H&R and seen the light...praise the Lord.

:-)

Last edited by Scott66; Nov 17th 2007 at 11:21 am.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 12:37 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

a little trucker math for you guys on how to work out your hourly rate when driving OTR on PPM:

In response to some people who are quick to critisize OTR drivers for not being in compliance with DOT regs, I am posting this to show the difficulty/absurdity of Hours of Operation regs. Factoring-in that drivers are paid by the mile, OTR drivers are essentially coerced to falsify logbooks and/or run beyond posted speel limits to earn more $$$.

A common mistake OTR drivers make in calculating their hourly pay is taking gross pay, and dividing this by total hours worked in a week. This method fails to factor-in overtime pay of time and a half rate for hours worked beyond 40 hours in a week. The proper method of calculation is to apply algebra math. The algebraic formula to calculate OTR pay is 40x + 1.5xy = Gross Pay; where solving for "X" is your hourly pay, and "Y" are hours worked beyond 40 hours.

To illustrate, say you earned $830 gross in a week and had worked 85 hours to earn this pay. This 85 hours includes delays at the shipper, receiver, traffic congestion, and sitting down to do your paperwork. If you were an hourly-paid local driver, you would be on the clock and be compensated for this extra time. Setting up the equation, its 40x + (1.5x times 45) = $830; in close-parenthesis, I had substituted "Y" for 45, the hours worked in excess of 40 hours. Multiplying whats inside the parenthesis, it now reads 40x + 67.5x = $830. Combining/adding the variables, it now reads 107.5x = $830. Dividing both sides by 107.5 will solve for "X" , which is X = $7.72; this is the equivalent hourly pay of earning $830 gross in 85 hours of work in a week.

After careful analysis, you will find that the more you're delayed at the shipper, receiver, and traffic congestion, the higher your weekly hours of working goes up, and the lower your hourly pay comes down. To make up for this, you would have to run two logbooks and not take your mandated 36-hour consecutive restbreak. You can also increase your daily earnings by running beyond the posted speed limit, providing you don't get caught (and pay the speeding fine).

Take into consideration the passage of NAFTA, and the influx of immigrant drivers from 3rd-world nations who are here on a working visa. American truckers cannot compete with these low-paid drivers, who come from nations with over 50% unemployment rate. It is best to leave OTR trucking to these immigrant drivers, and for indegenous American drivers to quit OTR and settle down to an hourly-paying local driving job.

If you're an OTR driver who never excelled beyond arithmetic, take this algebraic formula, 40x + 1.5xy = Gross Pay, and show it to any high school kid who had completed elementary algebra. They can easily calculate your hourly pay for you.
There is a few glaring holes in your equation ;
1, 70 hrs is the max you can work in a week and it's ample
2, I don't know where you get $830 from, in 7 days you can drive 4620 miles @ $0.34 = $1570.80 gross.
3, I/We (most drivers) do all resets at home during our 2/3 days off
4, I run my 1 logbook legal and have no need to have 2 logbooks
5, I don't speed (occasionally i will go over the limit)
6, Being held up at a shippers is rare but is sleeper berth time when it happens.
7, what does NAFTA have to do with anything? mexicans can't work for a US company any easier than a canadian can.
8, Paperwork takes 10-15 minutes per day.....maximum and in total.
9, With good trip planning you do not get held up by traffic. Rarely, when there is an accident you may get caught up in it.
10, there is no evidence of an influx of drivers from "3rd world" countries on work permits. No driver driving for a US company is working for "low pay" ie. lower than there regular drivers.
11, Ever heard of cabotage? this law ensures low paid workers cannot come to the US/Canada and drive.

Everyone on this forum knows you will not accept that we are not on the poverty line and you persistently try to prove we are (with little effect)
Why don't you just accept that you have your point of view and we have ours? Instead of writing inaccurate posts.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:02 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

There is a few glaring holes in your equation ;
1, 70 hrs is the max you can work in a week and it's ample
2, I don't know where you get $830 from, in 7 days you can drive 4620 miles @ $0.34 = $1570.80 gross.
3, I/We (most drivers) do all resets at home during our 2/3 days off
4, I run my 1 logbook legal and have no need to have 2 logbooks
5, I don't speed (occasionally i will go over the limit)
6, Being held up at a shippers is rare but is sleeper berth time when it happens.
7, what does NAFTA have to do with anything? mexicans can't work for a US company any easier than a canadian can.
8, Paperwork takes 10-15 minutes per day.....maximum and in total.
9, With good trip planning you do not get held up by traffic. Rarely, when there is an accident you may get caught up in it.
10, there is no evidence of an influx of drivers from "3rd world" countries on work permits. No driver driving for a US company is working for "low pay" ie. lower than there regular drivers.
11, Ever heard of cabotage? this law ensures low paid workers cannot come to the US/Canada and drive.

Everyone on this forum knows you will not accept that we are not on the poverty line and you persistently try to prove we are (with little effect)
Why don't you just accept that you have your point of view and we have ours? Instead of writing inaccurate posts.
Are you telling me you can normally drive 660 miles for 7 days in a nominal 10 hours?!!!!!!!
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:02 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

In me best Yorkshire slang ......

Wot a load of B*ll*ks
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:06 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

Are you telling me you can normally drive 660 miles for 7 days in a nominal 10 hours?!!!!!!!
Yes, you can drive for 11 hrs in the states and 13 hrs in Canada. At an average of 60mph it's easily done. (The last time my truck was plugged into the computer, my average speed was 58mph)
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kb33
In me best Yorkshire slang ......

Wot a load of B*ll*ks
Especially for you KB33:

A truck driver does illustrate an oft-overlooked point, however. Since most OTR companies pay by the mile, it is easy to compare one company to the other, but there are other factors at work, since all companies do not pay the same amount of miles for the same load. Some companies pay by 'short' miles (a.k.a. HHG or HouseHold Goods miles), and some pay by 'practical' miles. Some will argue that 'practical' miles are not always practical, but they are almost always more than 'short' miles, so companies that pay by 'practical' miles will, all other things being equal, put more money in your pocket.

Companies that do pay by 'practical' miles will proudly announce that they do. Companies that do not will hedge and try to change the subject, when asked outright. The difference is probably at least 5%, which equals 5% less pay for the same amount of work.

Next we come to 'stop pay'. Most companies will pay this to the driver when they have to make more than one delivery or more than one pickup. In my experience this situation does not arise too often, but some companies pay more for stop pay than others (say, $30 vs. $15), so it is also something to consider when shopping around.

Also on the list is 'detention pay'. Most drivers are unhappy with the amount of this pay, but the bottom line is that it is better to get it than not. Some companies pay this on the next paycheck (good), while some wait until they allegedly collect it from the customer before paying the driver (bad, since it is easy to 'forget'). It probably averages only about $10/hr (after the first two hrs), and most companies will hedge when asked what amount they pay, so the best barometer is whether they pay up front or make you wait weeks or months (which lessens your chance of getting it at all).

There are many other factors that make companies that seem to offer about the same amount of pay differ, but those are the major ones that can usually be discerned by asking a recruiter or browsing a company's website.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 1:48 pm
BE Enthusiast

Yes, you can drive for 11 hrs in the states and 13 hrs in Canada. At an average of 60mph it's easily done. (The last time my truck was plugged into the computer, my average speed was 58mph)
I wonder if the guy's who drive for SFE are consistantly driving 660 miles/day?
Old Nov 17th 2007, 2:28 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

this is posted on another trucking forum........

passingtrucker vbmenu_register("postmenu_276136", true);
Bobtail Member

Trucker? 20 Years
My Trucking Photos: 0

How to calculate your equivalent hourly pay as an OTR driver
A common mistake most drivers will make in figuring out how their pay would equate to in hourly wages, is to take their gross earnings and divide this amount by total hours worked in a week to find their equivalent hourly pay. The fallacy of this method is that it doesn't factor-in overtime pay as allowed by labor laws when you exceed working 40 hours in a week. The proper method of calculation is to use algebra math. The algebraic formula to find your equivalent hourly pay is 40x + 1.5xy = Gross Pay ; where solving for X equals your hourly pay, and Y are hours worked in excess of 40 hours in a week.

To illustrate, say you gross $894 in a week and worked 90 hours to earn this pay. Your total hours worked should include delays at the shipper, receiver, traffic/congestion, and sitting down to do your paperwork. If you were an hourly-paid local driver, you would be on the clock and compensated for these delays. At 90 hours, you're entitled to 50 hours of overtime at time and a half rate. The equation would be set up as 40x + (1.5x times 50) = $894 ; I substituted Y for 50 hours overtime inside the parenthesis. Multiplying whats inside the parenthesis, it shows 40x + 75x = $894. Adding up the variables, it now shows 115x = $894. Dividing both sides by 115 will solve for X; so 894 divided by 115 is X = $7.77 Working the entire equation, we find that earning $894 gross and working 90 hours in a week is equivalent to $7.77 per hour, factoring overtime pay after 40 hours of work.

Upon close examination, you'll find that the more hours you work as a result of delays at the shipper, receiver, and traffic/congestion, the lower your hourly pay becomes. To make up for this, you would have to drive more miles to bring up your equivalent hourly pay. This equation shows the injustice of per mile/mileage pay. If algebra math is beyond your comprehension, take this algebraic formula,
40x + 1.5xy = Gross Pay, and show it to any high school kid who had taken elementary algebra. They will easily calculate your hourly pay for you.

Ever heard of plagerism BT? or is this you but not man enough to go under your usual name?

Last edited by andy_sheila; Nov 17th 2007 at 2:47 pm. Reason: to clarify where original quote came from
Old Nov 17th 2007, 2:31 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

77 hours in 7 days? every week?
Shame on you Andy..........lol.

Last edited by koogar; Nov 17th 2007 at 2:38 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 2:42 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

where did i say i do 77hrs in 7 days? i merely pointed out the maximum hrs you could drive. i personally try to drive exactly 9.75 + 0.25 for my pretrip to make 10 hrs a day, that way i can drive for 14 straight days before i need to take a reset.

Originally Posted by koogar
77 hours in 7 days? every week?
Shame on you Andy..........lol.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 2:58 pm
BE Forum Addict

kb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nicekb33 is just really nice

Said it months ago .. BT is a Troll :curse:
Old Nov 17th 2007, 2:59 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

where did i say i do 77hrs in 7 days? i merely pointed out the maximum hrs you could drive. i personally try to drive exactly 9.75 + 0.25 for my pretrip to make 10 hrs a day, that way i can drive for 14 straight days before i need to take a reset.
Biggest one-hit I ever did was Kamloops to Saskatoon.
780 miles in one shift.
Completely legal officer

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.