Go Back  British Expats > Working Abroad > Working Abroad by Profession > Trucking
Reload this Page >

SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Old Nov 17th 2007, 4:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future
Default Re: SEAFOOD EXPRESS... By LOAFY & CHRIS12.

Originally Posted by andy_sheila
where did i say i do 77hrs in 7 days? i merely pointed out the maximum hrs you could drive. i personally try to drive exactly 9.75 + 0.25 for my pretrip to make 10 hrs a day, that way i can drive for 14 straight days before i need to take a reset.
Well if anybody wants a reason to avoid being an OTR driver for the sake of their health its in your above post,Driving 10 hours/day for 14 days straight without a break?
All I can say is "thank the good lord for the tachograph"

I "cut and pasted" those posts on the QT here because for some strange reason its ignored on the other forums but banned here,you see those are views and opinions from guy's on another forum who have been driving OTR for years not like yours truly (and KB33) who've been at it a few months!!!!!

Last edited by Big Truck; Nov 17th 2007 at 4:27 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 4:47 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Big Truck;5568843]Well if anybody wants a reason to avoid being an OTR driver for the sake of their health its in your above post,Driving 10 hours/day for 14 days straight without a break?
I said "i can" (if ineed to, which i haven't yet) not that i do or have

I "cut and pasted" those posts on the QT here because for some strange reason its ignored on the other forums but banned here,
So why did you try to pass it off as your own work?

you see those are views and opinions from guy's 1 guy on another forum who have been driving OTR for years
you need yrs of driving to work out your wage???
not like yours truly (and KB33) who've been at it a few months!!!!!
Unlike you who isn't even in canada or the states and gets all your info from websites as opposed to getting it 1st hand like myself

You lose again BT, Of the 11 holes i found in your post, you pick one and flog it to death.................................then lose the arguement anyway
Old Nov 17th 2007, 5:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

Big Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant futureBig Truck has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=andy_sheila;5568885]
Originally Posted by Big Truck
Well if anybody wants a reason to avoid being an OTR driver for the sake of their health its in your above post,Driving 10 hours/day for 14 days straight without a break?
I said "i can" (if ineed to, which i haven't yet) not that i do or have]

No I'm sorry but you said:
"i personally try to drive exactly 9.75 + 0.25 for my pretrip to make 10 hrs a day, that way i can drive for 14 straight days".

NO "can,needto,haven't or have" just what you stated.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 5:30 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

I did 7000 miles in 13 days (june this year) but that did include 34 hours off to reset in Oklahoma. I always preferred to max my daily hours and then take a break to reset, but then, I had no reason to get 'home'. Apart from Los Angeles and Toronto it was a pretty cruisy 2 weeks.
I'll agree with you BT, no way could I do that in the UK (even if it was legal), but it's not hard to do it over here. Most of the time it's like having the road to yourself and it isn't mentally taxing at all (during the winter is a different matter altogether).
When I was in Manchester, England and worked for littlewoods/business express, we used to do a Park Royal run. (Park Royal is near Wembley for those who don't know it). We did it at night, Sunday to Thursday, 5 runs a week. At the end of that week, I never wanted to see a truck again, and that was only 400(ish) miles a night.
Now, I'm not someone who blows sunshine up Canadas ass, as you know, but running 600 miles a day in Canada or the states really isn't difficult. What I had a problem with was when they expect you to do that through the Rockies in the winter. On those days, I'll take the Park Royal thanks.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by koogar
I did 7000 miles in 13 days (june this year) but that did include 34 hours off to reset in Oklahoma. I always preferred to max my daily hours and then take a break to reset, but then, I had no reason to get 'home'. Apart from Los Angeles and Toronto it was a pretty cruisy 2 weeks.
I'll agree with you BT, no way could I do that in the UK (even if it was legal), but it's not hard to do it over here. Most of the time it's like having the road to yourself and it isn't mentally taxing at all (during the winter is a different matter altogether).
When I was in Manchester, England and worked for littlewoods/business express, we used to do a Park Royal run. (Park Royal is near Wembley for those who don't know it). We did it at night, Sunday to Thursday, 5 runs a week. At the end of that week, I never wanted to see a truck again, and that was only 400(ish) miles a night.
Now, I'm not someone who blows sunshine up Canadas ass, as you know, but running 600 miles a day in Canada or the states really isn't difficult. What I had a problem with was when they expect you to do that through the Rockies in the winter. On those days, I'll take the Park Royal thanks.
Yes I agree that 600miles/day in Canada/States is handy enough to achieve,but clocking up 500/600 miles/day for 14 days straight without any resets must be a killer surely, especially around the NE of the States or Eastern coast of Canada?
Surely for 4 months of the Winter on "Your" side of Canada/USA that kind of mileage daily is a pipedream too?

Last edited by Big Truck; Nov 17th 2007 at 5:48 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 6:01 pm
Whatacomplete Member

koogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond reputekoogar has a reputation beyond repute

Yes I agree that 600miles/day in Canada/States is handy enough to achieve,but clocking up 500/600 miles/day for 14 days straight without any resets must be a killer surely, especially around the NE of the States or Eastern coast of Canada?
Surely for 4 months of the Winter on "Your" side of Canada/USA that kind of mileage daily is a pipedream too?
I've done Vancouver to Calgary in one shot in the winter. It can be done. What I'm saying though is that after that 603 miles, you know you've done it, whereas, Great Falls, MT to Salt Lake in the summer didn't tire me out at all.
As for the East coast, I never got over there, so I couldn't tell you.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 10:31 pm
Forum Regular

Scott66 will become famous soon enough

Hence the reason the 2 guys who started this thread who were Blowing praise up SE & PEI Ass should be back on here providing details of all the runs they have done so far and wages, costs, miles driven, days driven, amount of work available (which I was told dries up considerably off tourist season), you know they came on BE with this thread shouting from the rooftops of the new houses they bought with 10 acres of land now it seems they are living with another family or have dissappeared...what the hell's going on then...come tell it as it is fellas and be truthful eh surely you aint been out for 18 days solid.

Very rough example - Charlottetown - New york = 842 miles x 0.33c = $277.53 BEFORE TAX!!!!

From google - 1,355 klm about 14 hours 20 mins (SE vary rarely go further than this so where to now except back up the triangle - Toronto - Moncton - PEI)

How can you live off these kind of wages and miles it is rather insulting to do that amount of work for such money if this is correct it's outrageous.

Also wasn't there a bad storm (hurricane) recently if the bridge was closed then no traffic goes over how can you get paid if your stuck on or off the island - answer from SE you don't no layover pay you just got to sit it out.

mmmmm

answers in a reply please.

Last edited by Scott66; Nov 17th 2007 at 10:43 pm.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:02 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

andy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond reputeandy_sheila has a reputation beyond repute

[quote=Big Truck;5568945]

No I'm sorry but you said:
"i personally try to drive exactly 9.75 + 0.25 for my pretrip to make 10 hrs a day, that way i can drive for 14 straight days".

NO "can,needto,haven't or have" just what you stated.
As you are a little dense and need it spelt out for you here is how it is:

I try to keep it to 10 hrs per day so i could run 10 days without a reset IF I HAVE TO I haven't had to yet and don't envisage ever having to but my options/flexibility are open by doing it this way. I have never driven 10 straight days, all my runs are 6/7 days. The longest i have ever been out is 9 days when i had a breakdown, on that trip Pacclease paid for my hotel and i got $100 per day (X2) layover pay and my reset.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:19 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

Very rough example - Charlottetown - New york = 842 miles x 0.33c = $277.53 BEFORE TAX!!!! $185 per day or just short of $20 per hour, not a bad wage.

(SE vary rarely go further than this so where to now except back up the triangle - Toronto - Moncton - PEI) Where did you get that info from? many maritime companies go to Texas, South Carolina, and Virginia on a regular basis.

How can you live off these kind of wages and miles it is rather insulting to do that amount of work for such money if this is correct it's outrageous. If thats outrageous, think of the poor people working at Timmies and Walmart et al for the minimum wage of around $7.50

answers in a reply please. Done
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:32 pm
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

A few people have asked why Loafy and Chris don't come on here to reply anymore, i am not them and don't know them personally so i can't answer for them but it could be a case of "why should we bother when all we get is a troll who calls us liars and argues about everything we write" It is very tiresome reading the same posts over and over again and answering the same questions continuously.

Try and come up with some new questions guys, we drivers who are here and actually doing the job are only too happy to answer sensible questions but if all you are going to do is argue the facts then don't bother.
Old Nov 17th 2007, 11:53 pm
Forum Regular

Very rough example - Charlottetown - New york = 842 miles x 0.33c = $277.53 BEFORE TAX!!!! $185 per day or just short of $20 per hour, not a bad wage.
But that is a constant 14hrs driving without stops

(SE vary rarely go further than this so where to now except back up the triangle - Toronto - Moncton - PEI) Where did you get that info from? many maritime companies go to Texas, South Carolina, and Virginia on a regular basis.
From SE Themselves when I asked they said the triangle is their normal routes and RARELY venture further down

How can you live off these kind of wages and miles it is rather insulting to do that amount of work for such money if this is correct it's outrageous. If thats outrageous, think of the poor people working at Timmies and Walmart et al for the minimum wage of around $7.50
Maybe they should retrain as OTR Drivers as the OTR wage is my concern not walmart etc

answers in a reply please. Done
NOT quite eh
Old Nov 18th 2007, 12:05 am
Forum Regular

A few people have asked why Loafy and Chris don't come on here to reply anymore, i am not them and don't know them personally so i can't answer for them but it could be a case of "why should we bother when all we get is a troll who calls us liars and argues about everything we write" It is very tiresome reading the same posts over and over again and answering the same questions continuously.

Try and come up with some new questions guys, we drivers who are here and actually doing the job are only too happy to answer sensible questions but if all you are going to do is argue the facts then don't bother.
Good point.

If anyone is not convinced about SE (which I aint from talking with them) then toodle off somewhere else (Like I have)

In all honesty though employers trying to entice drivers from overseas need to give 100% factual honest answers to questions when asked and not skirt around subjects they don't want you to find out about.

Moving to Canada is a big lifestyle choice and people are entitled to ask any amount of questios awkward or not to make their minds up and come to a decision whether to move or not and drivers and employers who post on here telling how good it is who shy away from wakward questions are not being 100% honest with everyone else.

But then again it's like all other jobs when your in one you want to get out of it then something else comes along and you can't wait to move and tell all your work mates how good the new job is going to be then after a while it just turns out to be the same old same old once things settle down and you get into the groove of the job and sonetimes you look back and think maybe the old job wasn't as bad as I thought but I aint going to tell them that now am I it might be better but to say it is not as GREAT as I originally mentioned would be to lose face.

Now I'm not saying for a nano second it would be better to stay in the UK far from it but sometimes you might just not have made the correct choice company / Location / wages / Job wise and not want to admit it.

Rose tinted glasses don't last for ever once you have to knuckle down and work yer ass of to pay the bills now being paid in $$$ and all you £££ savings have been eaten up especially if the company your now employed with can't garauntee max miles to enable you to make a good living.

The big boys in middle Canada etc might mean your away a lot but at least you can earn the money....& PR is hopefully only 18 - 24 months approx down the line.

Last edited by Scott66; Nov 18th 2007 at 12:11 am.
Old Nov 18th 2007, 12:46 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

Originally Posted by Scott66
But that is a constant 14hrs driving without stops
No, it's a 10hr + 4hr (half day) $277 divide by 1.5 days = $185 per day

From SE Themselves when I asked they said the triangle is their normal routes and RARELY venture further down
I have personally seen SE trucks further south than New York many times but i did say Maritime companies, as this thread is to do with SE, i see your point.

Maybe they should retrain as OTR Drivers as the OTR wage is my concern not walmart etc
But OTR wages are constantly being compared to what you can earn elsewhere so a valid point i think.

NOT quite eh
I think so, eh!
Old Nov 18th 2007, 12:57 am
Class 1 Driver and Nurse

[quote=Scott66;5570104]Good point.

If anyone is not convinced about SE (which I aint from talking with them) then toodle off somewhere else (Like I have) I agree, if someone has all the details/facts they need on one company and doesn't like it, let it go and move on.......

In all honesty though employers trying to entice drivers from overseas need to give 100% factual honest answers to questions when asked and not skirt around subjects they don't want you to find out about.
I agree
Moving to Canada is a big lifestyle choice and people are entitled to ask any amount of questios awkward or not to make their minds up and come to a decision whether to move or not and drivers and employers who post on here telling how good it is who shy away from wakward questions are not being 100% honest with everyone else.
I agree, but not to ask the same question over and over again
But then again it's like all other jobs when your in one you want to get out of it then something else comes along and you can't wait to move and tell all your work mates how good the new job is going to be then after a while it just turns out to be the same old same old once things settle down and you get into the groove of the job and sonetimes you look back and think maybe the old job wasn't as bad as I thought but I aint going to tell them that now am I it might be better but to say it is not as GREAT as I originally mentioned would be to lose face.
I know what you mean, been there done that but not where i am now

Now I'm not saying for a nano second it would be better to stay in the UK far from it but sometimes you might just not have made the correct choice company / Location / wages / Job wise and not want to admit it.
Sometimes it is better to stay put
Rose tinted glasses don't last for ever once you have to knuckle down and work yer ass of to pay the bills now being paid in $$$ and all you £££ savings have been eaten up especially if the company your now employed with can't garauntee max miles to enable you to make a good living.
I get average miles and good pay
The big boys in middle Canada etc might mean your away a lot but at least you can earn the money....& PR is hopefully only 18 - 24 months approx down the line.
I'm about as far East as you can get and my wage is on a par with the "big boys in middle Canada"
Old Nov 18th 2007, 1:16 am
Just counting the days...

marcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura aboutmarcustandy has a spectacular aura about

Good post Scott!!

Originally Posted by Scott66

Absolutely spot-on.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.