Change in TFWP update

Old Jun 27th 2014, 3:33 am
Forum Regular

Milanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the rough
Default Change in TFWP update

I finally found a better explanation how the changes in TFWP will affect us....drivers....

if you read thru you will find out it wont affect us at all....

the employers will only have to pay more.... and good for us.....they will have to show that our temporary position is going to be permanent in the future....

here is the link

Canada Immigration News - Breaking News: Overhaul of Temporary Foreign Worker Program

we are definitely in "high-wage" group
so our employers can bring more and more drivers if they can proof they need us and our job is secured in the future

the biggest change is in the name.....no more LMO.....LMIA from now :-)
Old Jun 27th 2014, 6:20 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Change in TFWP update

Given that it's a link from a third party website, and doesn't correlate with the official info from CIC, I'd take what it says with a pinch of salt tbh!
Old Jun 27th 2014, 9:50 am
Forum Regular

Amy1807 is an unknown quantity at this point

Anymore info on how long the TWP will last then? And if it has been knocked down to 2 years, would you not be able to get a bridging work permit until the PR came through
Old Jun 27th 2014, 10:06 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Amy1807
Anymore info on how long the TWP will last then? And if it has been knocked down to 2 years, would you not be able to get a bridging work permit until the PR came through
The TWP will either be a year or 2 years, it's up to the immi officer on the day and not something you'll know in advance.

Yes, a BOWP is possible if you meet all the conditions i.e. have AOR for an economic PR app etc.

HTH.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 10:25 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by christmasoompa
The TWP will either be a year or 2 years, it's up to the immi officer on the day and not something you'll know in advance.

Yes, a BOWP is possible if you meet all the conditions i.e. have AOR for an economic PR app etc.

HTH.
And then you can't apply for another one?!
Please enlighten me on 'AOR for an economic PR' lol
Old Jun 27th 2014, 10:34 am
SUPER MODERATOR

And then you can't apply for another one?!
Please enlighten me on 'AOR for an economic PR' lol
Nope. It used to be a max of 4 years that you could spend on TWP's, they've just reduced it, so 2 years is the limit.

If you're not sure on abbreviations, please use the Wiki which has a good list of them. But it's 'Acknowledgement of Receipt for economic Permanent Residence'. The BOWP isn't applicable to all types of PR apps, only economic ones, so if for instance you were applying under the Family Class, you wouldn't be able to get a BOWP.

HTH.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 10:46 am
Forum Regular

Nope. It used to be a max of 4 years that you could spend on TWP's, they've just reduced it, so 2 years is the limit.

If you're not sure on abbreviations, please use the Wiki which has a good list of them. But it's 'Acknowledgement of Receipt for economic Permanent Residence'. The BOWP isn't applicable to all types of PR apps, only economic ones, so if for instance you were applying under the Family Class, you wouldn't be able to get a BOWP.

HTH.
Cheers, will do in future. Can u send a link with source of your info? Can't find anything recent from CIC, and what I have found from elsewhere isn't matching with what you've said, unless trucking is low-wage (which I didn't think it was) There's so much conflicting info out there. Thanks.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 12:10 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Cheers, will do in future. Can u send a link with source of your info? Can't find anything recent from CIC, and what I have found from elsewhere isn't matching with what you've said, unless trucking is low-wage (which I didn't think it was) There's so much conflicting info out there. Thanks.
Here you go, these are a couple of pages of info from CIC/ESDC about the changes - ignore anything else from any other source!!

Government of Canada Overhauls Temporary Foreign Worker Program Ensuring Canadians are first in line for available jobs - Canada News Centre

Reforming the Temporary Foreign Worker Program | ESDC

You can find this info in the immigration section of the Canada sub forum, the trucking forum isn't really the place for visa questions, so you'd be better off asking it there.

HTH, good luck.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 12:11 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

P.S. I just realised I'm not sure what you were actually asking about re: a source for the info, so in case it was BOWP's, you can find that here - Notice of new “Bridging” Open Work Permits for Certain Federal Economic Class Applicants

HTH.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 12:38 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks. That's a good bit of info there. I've read through it and it doesn't say anywhere that the high-wage tfw permit time will be cut. It defiantly says low-wage, but like Milan said, truckers are high wage.
Sorry if I'm missing it lol.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 12:54 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

It defiantly says low-wage, but like Milan said, truckers are high wage.
I'd actually query that, as nobody knows yet what jobs will be deemed 'high wage' etc. It's possible that truckers will be, but don't forget that low/median wage is going to be equivalent to the old B/C/D levels of the Matrix (truckers are currently level C).

For a bit more light reading, I suggest you have a look at this (http://www.esdc.gc.ca/eng/jobs/forei...auling_TFW.pdf), where it gives more info and defines high wage as:

High-wage: positions at or above the provincial/territorial median wage; examples of high-wage occupations include managerial, scientific, professional and technical positions as well as the skilled trades .

Until it's all implemented, I don't think anybody can know for sure that truckers will be deemed to be in the top 10% of workers etc, but then I have no idea what a trucker earns per hour, so perhaps they will be.

It's all just crystal ball stuff at the mo, until we have more info from CIC, and probably until a few people have actually applied for LMIA's.
Old Jun 27th 2014, 1:05 pm
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

Until it's all implemented, I don't think anybody can know for sure that truckers will be deemed to be in the top 10% of workers etc, but then I have no idea what a trucker earns per hour, so perhaps they will be.
Any idea on when its supposed to be implemented?
Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:30 pm
Forum Regular

Milanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the rough

As showen in the link I posted....
anything matching median wage or higher is "high-wage"

If in SK a median wage is 20 CAD per hour and in my contract I have got 28 CAD per hour I should be high wage......I am sure we are "high-wage"
on another website I found out that median wage in SK is 3000 CAD per month....minimum wage in SK is 1800 CAD per month.......
I usually make between 6 and 7000 CAD per month....so it makes me sure I am in "high-wage" group.....

I checked another websites about SK long haul truck drivers program and they say nothing is going to change for truckers

as you can read in any link.....these changes are mainly going to affect the "low-wage" group like food services, cleaners etc....becouse these guys were abusing the TFWP

good luck to all of you who are about to find a job over here!

Nobody says its easy but if you dont try it you will never find out
Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:32 pm
Forum Regular

I do agree with christmasoompa that we will find out more once drivers will come over with LMIA
Old Jun 27th 2014, 2:55 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Originally Posted by Milanuk
As showen in the link I posted....
anything matching median wage or higher is "high-wage"
The link you posted isn't from an official source though, it's just from an immigration consultant. The link I posted (which is from ESDC) gives the example of 'high wage occupations' as skilled jobs, so it might well be that it'll end up being a combination of the wages together with skill level that determines it.

I agree that all we can do is wait and see, at the moment the figures they're giving as examples of 'median wage' (so approx $22ph for SK) are from 2013, that'll be updated at some point I'd think. The lack of blanket LMO's and more stringent applications could be a big problem for some companies that hire lots of foreign workers such as trucking firms (plus the length of processing time, as they won't qualify for the 10 day turnaround), and the cap on the percentage of low wage workers could also be an issue as it's done on an average of all employees hourly rate, not just what you in particular earn.

But time will tell, it's going to take a while to phase it in, and we'll just have to see how it goes. I think overall it can only be a good thing, particularly for foreign workers that should have a bit more of a safety net now.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.