Old Jun 28th 2014, 4:08 pm
Forum Regular

Amy1807 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Change in TFWP update

Web Highlights | ESDC
List of occupations classed as low-wage
Old Jun 29th 2014, 2:33 am
Forum Regular

Milanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the rough

Thank you Amy!

This should help as well....
nothing said about Long haul truck drivers being classified as a low-wage...
at this point it looks to me that the changes coming are not going to affect the new drivers coming over to Canada.
It might be more difficult for employers but its still worthy for them.

I am sure this new law will help us and maybe make it a bit easier to stay here.

As I said before. I wouldnt be worried about LMIA will last only for 2 years maximum....
becouse as I said before...in SK...you can apply for PR after 6 monhts of working and you will get your nomination in another 8 weeks....
once I got my nomination I went to see the Canada custom officer at the border when I was crossing back from states and they issued a 2 year work permit and told me that I should get my PR during this time....and also they told me that if anything goes wrong and my application will take longer I should come back to see them and they would renew it again until the final decision on my PR application....
so...yes, it can take some time to get your PR, especially for a bigger families but once you get your nomination you dont have to care about LMIA becouse you dont need it anymore....

Christmasoompa....
I didnt find a problem to trust the link that I posted.....
I just wanted to help...
Nobody and nothing force me to post here. Its only my decision becouse I just try to help becouse I found a useful information on this website when I was looking for job in Canada back in 2012.....
I just share my experience and the links which I find somewhere else just to support new drivers....

So good luck to you all :-)
Old Jun 29th 2014, 2:28 pm
Forum Regular

Sats72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi Milanuk, I just thought I'd balance this out if I can. I think your looking at the wages for truck drivers from a personal point of view, rather than from the industry as a whole. I earn half the wages of what you do, but then, I think I'm on a wee bit below the average (I just work Monday to Friday most of the time). I normally work a 14 hr day, I get $23 per hour for when my wheels are turning, but my wheels are usually only turning for 11 of those hours and the other 3 hours are unpaid.
So I can't imagine that I would be considered a high earner in my job, but I'll admit that you would be considered a high earner in yours.

*just to note* I do realise that I could get a higher paying job, but I'm really happy where I work and to me, thats the most important thing.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 6:34 pm
Forum Regular

Milanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the roughMilanuk is a jewel in the rough

Hi Sats72,
you are right...I was looking at it only from my point of view becouse I believed we are all on similiar wages....
I dont talk to other drivers to ask them how much they earn but I think on the long haul there shouldnt be a big different.
I absolutely understand you are happy at your work.
I wouldnt mind to work like that but the company where I work now was the first one that offered me a job so here I am :-)
I would like to run less in the future as well...
Your position shouldnt be affected if you applied for PR already I think.
But it can probably affect the new drivers who will try to get a job in the same company.
Old Jun 29th 2014, 8:44 pm
Forum Regular

Sats72 is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Milanuk
Hi Sats72,
you are right...I was looking at it only from my point of view becouse I believed we are all on similiar wages....
I dont talk to other drivers to ask them how much they earn but I think on the long haul there shouldnt be a big different.
I wouldnt mind to work like that but the company where I work now was the first one that offered me a job so here I am :-)
But it can probably affect the new drivers who will try to get a job in the same company.
I know that I'm not affected (having PR already) and like yourself I'm also still working for the same company that brought me to Canada. I suppose I'm just saying that long haul driving jobs can vary in wages across the country, which is why there is the potential for the job to be described as low wage.
I guess we'll have to just wait and see how it affects new drivers coming to the country.
Old Jun 30th 2014, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

heydon1983 is an unknown quantity at this point

It will be interesting to see what happens with it as cic change the goal posts every couple of years just to keep it interesting I think
Old Jul 3rd 2014, 6:57 pm
PMM
Lost in BE Cyberspace

PMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond reputePMM has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

Originally Posted by Milanuk
Hi Sats72,

The cutoff line for Low/High wages in Manitoba is based on the Median income level, which for Manitoba is $19.00 per hour.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 12:40 am
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by PMM
Hi

The cutoff line for Low/High wages in Manitoba is based on the Median income level, which for Manitoba is $19.00 per hour.
That's ok when you're paid by the hour but when you are paid by the mile with a few bonuses here and there thrown in and the majority doing a lot of unpaid work, it's not so easy to work out an hourly rate.
I think it would work out under $19/hr for the majority, but how could they prove it.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 5:59 am
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilg14
That's ok when you're paid by the hour but when you are paid by the mile with a few bonuses here and there thrown in and the majority doing a lot of unpaid work, it's not so easy to work out an hourly rate.
I think it would work out under $19/hr for the majority, but how could they prove it.
The company has to prove it, using an incredibly complicated calculation. I'm on my phone at the moment so can't access it easily, but the calculation is on one of the links above I believe. Note that it's done using all salaries, not just yours, so if your salary is higher than others in your company, the average would be lower.

HTH.
Old Jul 4th 2014, 11:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

neilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond reputeneilg14 has a reputation beyond repute

Sorry, couldn't find the link.
Don't know about a complicated calculation but it would need to be magical to work out the hours an individual long haul driver does in a day/week.
It would be easy if it was calculated on start/finish times of the day.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 6:50 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

christmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond reputechristmasoompa has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by neilg14
Sorry, couldn't find the link.
Found it. Ready to get the calculator out?! Whether it's a magical one or not, this is what employers will have to do to employ foreign workers on LMIA's.

"To begin, employers must determine the percentage of lower-wage TFWs, at the work location where the TFW will be employed. If employers have any LMIA-exempt foreign workers, these individuals should be included as part of the calculation for the total number of hours for all workers; these individuals are not part of the calculation for TFWs. The calculation includes:

[A] – Total number of hours (including overtime) for all workers, in 4 consecutive weeks, within the 6 week period prior to the application being submitted.
Provide the dates for the time period of the 4 consecutive weeks that are used to calculate the total hours (e.g. May 12 to June 6, 2014) _________________ to __________________
[B] – Calculate the average weekly hours worked (A ÷ 4):
[C] – Total number of hours (including overtime) for all current lower-wage TFWs for the same 4 week time period indicated in question 2, above:
[D] – Calculate the average weekly hours of all current lower-wage TFWs (C ÷ 4):
[E] – Calculate the overall percentage of lower-wage TFWs = (D ÷ B) x 100:
The answer to question 6 will give employers their percentage of lower-wage TFWs. Employers, whose current workforce is made up of 30% or more of lower-wage TFWs, will not be able to participate in the Program. Employers whose percentage of lower-wage TFWs that are below 30% will be frozen at this rate. Employers will only be able to replace current TFWs, whose work permits are expiring."
Old Jul 5th 2014, 9:00 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the calculation, if the companies are doing this calculation, they will be able to massage their figures massively in their favour and nobody from Gov will be able to argue.
For the very small companies it wouldn't be difficult to work out the hours but if a company has 500 or more drivers, there is no record of hrs worked, how are they going to calculate that ?
Old Jul 5th 2014, 9:18 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

No idea, but tbh that's the company's problem and I assume they'll just need to keep better records. The whole point of the overhaul is to stop abuse of the system, hence the increased scrutiny and need for better records/proof.

I don't think any company will 'massage' any figures now personally. More fool them if they do and then get an inspection anyway! Given that it would now be a criminal offence and a big fine, I'd be surprised if any company would risk altering their figures.

Last edited by christmasoompa; Jul 5th 2014 at 9:26 pm.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 9:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Your second paragraph I would agree with in any occupation virtually except haulage because of the unique way long haul truck drivers are paid, there is no clocking on/ clocking off machine, their is so much unpaid work and waiting around unpaid, unless every driver wrote down his hours everyday there is no way to gather this data and that's why I said it's very easy for companies to massage the figures in their favour.
Old Jul 5th 2014, 9:49 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

I think they'll have to get every driver to wrote down their hours tbh, I don't see how else they can do it without risking severe penalties.

Hassle, but hopefully worth it in the long run.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.