Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is your accent a problem here?

Is your accent a problem here?

Old Oct 26th 2009, 5:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

orangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to beholdorangemirror is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Is your accent a problem here?

I've got a mild Bristol accent and I've been told many times by Americans that they can understand me fine but they can't understand other English people.
When i was a kid we moved from Bristol to Nottingham and all the kids in Nottingham thought I was American! I thought they were nuts but I guess the West Country accent maybe does have some similarities. Emphasing the 'r' in words, etc.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 5:49 pm
Forum Regular

jayde is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by SirSteveUK
Only because there is not much difference between that and Long John Silver.

God knows what I sound like - my Brummie faded at an early age - probably due to a concious (but misguided) effort to be perceived as intelligent. Don't get me wrong - I love the accent. I tell my US friends that if I spoke with the accent of my birth, I would sound like Ozzie Osbourne - they can get a handle on that.

Now Cindy reckons my Brummie only comes out when I am drunk or angry (btw I'm never both ).
snap, hubby tells me the same, and when my mil told me after 5 years, I have become far easier to understand, my jaw dropped.

Maybe its unconscious to gradually assimilate and change and soften the way we pronounce words, as in budder, and wadder etc I bet when I go home I will get told I have a yank accent!
Old Oct 26th 2009, 6:25 pm
Ping-ponger

dunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond reputedunroving has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
I find Americans talk slower and enunciate better.
innit, tho?
Old Oct 26th 2009, 6:49 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Lots of people struggle to understand me, I have a fairly broad Yorkshire accent. I'm so glad I have a job where I don't have to use the phone much as I just repeat myself over and over again. If I can get away with it I always get one of the girls in the office to make any phone calls for me

I must admit though, when I moved from Yorkshire to Milton Keynes, I spent 5 months repeating myself in the office while people got used to my accent
Old Oct 26th 2009, 7:20 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by N1cky
Lots of people struggle to understand me, I have a fairly broad Yorkshire accent. I'm so glad I have a job where I don't have to use the phone much as I just repeat myself over and over again. If I can get away with it I always get one of the girls in the office to make any phone calls for me

I must admit though, when I moved from Yorkshire to Milton Keynes, I spent 5 months repeating myself in the office while people got used to my accent
Do you make a conscious effort to keep the accent, or do you just naturally retain it?

I'm surrounded by Americans and it just sounds weird to my ears to be speaking with a UK accent, so I naturally 'adapt'. My mum has been visiting for 8 weeks, though, and everyone said my accent has changed while she has been here! The other day, a couple of the Americans in the office were cracking up and came over to me - "do you guys really say 'shhhedule' instead of 'skedule'?" - they'd been on the phone with a UK woman, and had never heard 'shhhedule' before; they thought it was hilarious! I explained that I had purged that particularly obnoxious sound from my vocabulary a long time ago! Certain words, though, will always come out the 'English' way - "can't", for example.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 7:54 pm

N1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond reputeN1cky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
Do you make a conscious effort to keep the accent, or do you just naturally retain it?

I'm surrounded by Americans and it just sounds weird to my ears to be speaking with a UK accent, so I naturally 'adapt'. My mum has been visiting for 8 weeks, though, and everyone said my accent has changed while she has been here! The other day, a couple of the Americans in the office were cracking up and came over to me - "do you guys really say 'shhhedule' instead of 'skedule'?" - they'd been on the phone with a UK woman, and had never heard 'shhhedule' before; they thought it was hilarious! I explained that I had purged that particularly obnoxious sound from my vocabulary a long time ago! Certain words, though, will always come out the 'English' way - "can't", for example.
I do make the effort with certain words that I know are a problem. I have adapted my Starbucks order to a scooone and say Ca-rib-ean at work... I cannot bring myself to drop the t in words and replace them with a d though or miss the h off herb.

My 7 year old daughter translates things for me why when we go out
Old Oct 26th 2009, 7:59 pm
Irritant

merz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud of

I do make the effort with certain words that I know are a problem. I have adapted my Starbucks order to a scooone and say Ca-rib-ean at work... I cannot bring myself to drop the t in words and replace them with a d though or miss the h off herb.

Talking of 'erbs, I can only say o-REG-ano and bAY-zil with an over the top really bad pretend American accent.

Merz
Old Oct 26th 2009, 8:01 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

I have trouble with 'hot', which needs to be pronounced 'haat'.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:39 pm
BE Enthusiast

katnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to allkatnap8 is a name known to all

My husband is a Middlesbrough lad and when we lived in the US, some people he met used to ask him to say something, anything just to hear his accent. But some times people couldn't understand him or thought he was Irish or Scottish so he had to keep correcting them by saying he was English.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 9:43 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Sally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond reputeSally Redux has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by katnap8
My husband is a Middlesbrough lad and when we lived in the US, some people he met used to ask him to say something, anything just to hear his accent. But some times people couldn't understand him or thought he was Irish or Scottish so he had to keep correcting them by saying he was English.
My Mum thinks my Geordie husband is Scottish
Old Oct 26th 2009, 11:10 pm
Guttural Brumerican

Titchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond reputeTitchski has a reputation beyond repute

What do you mean "here". I'm from Birmingham, my accent is a problem anywhere outside the West Midlands
Old Oct 27th 2009, 4:58 pm

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

My husband is from Scotland and we live in Manhattan where there is basically every accent you can think of. Lots of people can't understand him and he always gets asked where in Ireland he's from! It's frustrating for him.
Old Oct 27th 2009, 8:38 pm
Irritant

merz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by penguinbar
My husband is from Scotland and we live in Manhattan where there is basically every accent you can think of. Lots of people can't understand him and he always gets asked where in Ireland he's from! It's frustrating for him.
Penguinbar, I was on the train from Stansted Airport after my American OH had just been 'initiated'(see 'interrogated') into my vast/suspicious Irish family when two Scottish ladies got on and started chatting. My Husband asked where in Ireland they were from.
They pretended to be so offended, I was just laughing and he thought he had blown the deal haha!

Now he just whispers "where are these guys from?" before talking to anyone from outside America.

Merz
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:24 am

penguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond reputepenguinbar has a reputation beyond repute

LOL!
Old Oct 28th 2009, 4:46 am
I love my brick!

zargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond reputezargof has a reputation beyond repute

I also have a fairly broad Yorkshire accent, so the first time someone said I talked posh was something of a surprise.

What I've found interesting is that here in Iowa I don't have nearly as much trouble with people understanding me as I did in Georgia.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.