Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is your accent a problem here?

Is your accent a problem here?

Old Oct 24th 2009, 12:18 am
Forum Regular

guyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to allguyb is a name known to all
Question Is your accent a problem here?

Hi Y'all

Been in Atlanta since March. In a job since August but not my trade (PR/Comms) and looking around now.

Had five interviews in the past month, didn't land any of them and while my qualifications and experience seem to fit, something isn't quite landing.

My wife suggests it might be my strong-ish North Eastern accent, which whilst charming in the UK, is a different kettle of fish in the US, particularly the South.

Has anybody else ran into trouble with their accent here? (unusual I know because you'd think we spoke the same language but all the same).
Old Oct 24th 2009, 12:27 am

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is your accent a problem here?

Funny you should post this!!

Today I was calling a client and this old biddy answered the phone, I had to explain over and over who I was. where I was from and she said to me "I am sorry I don't understand anything you are saying" "you need to learn a better phone technique"................not the best quote to make to a woman who has taught and trained folk on phone etiquette in sales and marketing and won awards for outstanding customer service training.............if I had not been on a sales call I would of told the old goat to turn her F..IN hearing aid up and not be so bloody rude.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 12:47 am
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
Funny you should post this!!

Today I was calling a client and this old biddy answered the phone, I had to explain over and over who I was. where I was from and she said to me "I am sorry I don't understand anything you are saying" "you need to learn a better phone technique"................not the best quote to make to a woman who has taught and trained folk on phone etiquette in sales and marketing and won awards for outstanding customer service training.............if I had not been on a sales call I would of told the old goat to turn her F..IN hearing aid up and not be so bloody rude.
Defo no party invites for you now.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 1:12 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Englishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond reputeEnglishtart has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guyb
Hi Y'all

Been in Atlanta since March. In a job since August but not my trade (PR/Comms) and looking around now.

Had five interviews in the past month, didn't land any of them and while my qualifications and experience seem to fit, something isn't quite landing.

My wife suggests it might be my strong-ish North Eastern accent, which whilst charming in the UK, is a different kettle of fish in the US, particularly the South.

Has anybody else ran into trouble with their accent here? (unusual I know because you'd think we spoke the same language but all the same).
I don't think it is your accent that is the problem, it could just be because you are a 'foreigner', there are so many people out of work here right now, lots of competition from very well qualified natives that have been born and bred here, i'm not saying that you are being discrimanated against as such, just that it's perfectly reasonable to me (as a Brit) that if they have a lot of applicants for one job, why wouldn't they offer it to a USC instead of you?

No offense meant, and this is just my humble opinion, it could be something completely different...Good luck with your job hunt
Old Oct 24th 2009, 3:36 am
Resident Sillycow

mellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond reputemellybrown has a reputation beyond repute

Im also in ATL and worryingly get told most days that my accent makes me sound intelligent..........

However I am having no luck finding a new job!! I also think its more to do with the complete lack of employment opportunitys here in ATL and us being foreigners more than we just talk funny!!

How are you liking it here apart from the lack of interviews??
Old Oct 24th 2009, 3:48 am
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

GA has over a 10 percent unemployment rate, one of the higher ones in the country.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 3:59 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

It's probably the market and there's just better contenders local so I'd not worry about it...and you can mock people who can't understand you...
Old Oct 24th 2009, 4:05 am
I'm off to find a spanner

sime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond reputesime303 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by guyb
Hi Y'all

What others have said, the economy is in the shitter.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:21 am
BE Forum Addict

Scouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond reputeScouse Express has a reputation beyond repute

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak3zVvKmtoE

It's no problem up here, lad - Calm Down!

Jim
Old Oct 24th 2009, 11:33 am
Banned

LindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really niceLindyLoo500 is just really nice

Originally Posted by Jerseygirl
Defo no party invites for you now.
You beat me to it!
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:31 pm
BE Enthusiast

chrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond reputechrisfromusa has a reputation beyond repute

I don't tink it's so much your accent, but more that you're accent is foreign. The Southerners are people that tend to look out for their own first especially. At least that's my experience as a "goddamn Yankee" visiting the South but no I would say it's because you don't sound like any sort of American, and you are competing with USCs for the jobs
Old Oct 24th 2009, 7:46 pm
BE Forum Addict

Norri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond reputeNorri has a reputation beyond repute

It may well be your accent, normally I don't have a problem but occasionaly I come accross someone who, when I open my mouth, I can just see the shutters come down and I may as well be talking Swahilli.
Then I have to repeat myself, substitute words, draw pictures etc.
If you have one of these as an interviewer good luck!
Old Oct 24th 2009, 9:27 pm
gurt mint nit?

Xebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond reputeXebedee has a reputation beyond repute

I don't have one.
They do.
Old Oct 24th 2009, 10:13 pm
SUPER MODERATOR

Jerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond reputeJerseygirl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Xebedee
I don't have one.
They do.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 1:45 am
BE Enthusiast

caleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond reputecaleyjag has a reputation beyond repute

My accent is pretty mild by Scottish standards, and I live in cosmopolitan California, so I have to say I have no problems at all.

Significantly, I think the Californian ladies approve, which is absolutely fine by me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.