Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

Is your accent a problem here?

Is your accent a problem here?

Old Oct 25th 2009, 5:50 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Is your accent a problem here?

Originally Posted by Kaffy Mintcake
You know Americans who use the word 'posh'?
That's what I wondered!

Thinking New Joisey might be a little more upmarket than I thought! heheheh
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:31 pm
The Missus

SecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond reputeSecretGarden has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by meauxna
That's what I wondered!

Thinking New Joisey might be a little more upmarket than I thought! heheheh
Me three!

It would be more likely that an American would say, "You sound so upper class" or "Your accent makes you sound upper crust". I don't know anyone but British people who use the word posh!

My husband has a terrible time in any type of drive through restaurant...even after almost six years here his level of exasperation trying to get a Filet-O-Fish is palpable.

When he first visited we went to a local Chinese restaurant run by a Chinese born family---he placed his order and the waitress looked at him, looked at me, and said, "what he say?"

~SecretGarden
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:39 pm

meauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond reputemeauxna has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by SecretGarden
Me three!

It would be more likely that an American would say, "You sound so upper class" or "Your accent makes you sound upper crust". I don't know anyone but British people who use the word posh!

My husband has a terrible time in any type of drive through restaurant...even after almost six years here his level of exasperation trying to get a Filet-O-Fish is palpable.

When he first visited we went to a local Chinese restaurant run by a Chinese born family---he placed his order and the waitress looked at him, looked at me, and said, "what he say?"

~SecretGarden
Posh.

Powsh (long 'o') or pawsh (like 'awww').

discuss.

ooh wait, while you're here, can "scone" be settled too?
skohn or skohwn?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 6:40 pm
Sursum corda

cindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond reputecindyabs has a reputation beyond repute

Posh.

discuss.
I'm a awwwww prononuncer.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 7:35 pm
Irritant

merz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud of

Posh.

discuss.

ooh wait, while you're here, can "scone" be settled too?
skohn or skohwn?
London pronunciation is posh, hard o, not long ooo porsche (pawwsh)

Same with scone, London pronunciation is s-con not scoown. Except in northern England and Scotland where it is deffo scoooowne.
My mother says schowan.
As in "d' yees want a schowan an a schlab a' buthher?"
Old Oct 25th 2009, 8:11 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

britvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond reputebritvic has a reputation beyond repute

At my last job the powers that be wanted me to do all the intercom announcements needless to say my site manager was spitting feathers when she was teased about sounding like a WalMart announcer when filling in for me

As much as everybody else liked me she was always on my case and it got to the point that I had to pack the job in
Old Oct 25th 2009, 8:26 pm
BE Enthusiast

Zonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond reputeZonie has a reputation beyond repute

I used to have the same problem, I now order in my Kermit the frog impression and it works every time.
Old Oct 25th 2009, 8:28 pm
Irritant

merz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud ofmerz has much to be proud of

Oh and I forgot about 'water/wadder'. I now have a picture on my phone of a bottle of mineral water to show to waiters/waitresses when I am ordering without my husband around to translate.

I can actually say it the American way but get embarassed.

Does anyone else start to speak much posher (that word again) when asked to repeat yourself?

Instead of trying to repeat the word in a more American way I just start sounding like the Queen.

What is that about?
Old Oct 25th 2009, 8:30 pm

Poppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond reputePoppy girl has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merz
Oh and I forgot about 'water/wadder'. I now have a picture on my phone of a bottle of mineral water to show to waiters/waitresses when I am ordering without my husband around to translate.

I can actually say it the American way but get embarassed.

Does anyone else start to speak much posher (that word again) when asked to repeat yourself?

Instead of trying to repeat the word in a more American way I just start sounding like the Queen.

What is that about?
I just slow my speech right down, and sound a right pratt.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:06 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Toontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond reputeToontje has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
It's probably the market and there's just better contenders local so I'd not worry about it...and you can mock people who can't understand you...
Well, start mocking me then!

Half of your posts make absolutely no sense to me.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:29 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by merz
London pronunciation is posh, hard o, not long ooo porsche (pawwsh)

Same with scone, London pronunciation is s-con not scoown. Except in northern England and Scotland where it is deffo scoooowne.
My mother says schowan.
As in "d' yees want a schowan an a schlab a' buthher?"
Funny how you get used to saying something a certain way, and struggle to say it the way the natives would do, even if that's right in that country. I would struggle to pronounce 'posh' as you described ... that sounds like a way I like my eggs cooked sometimes.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:48 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sime303
I find Americans talk slower and enunciate better.
Except when they are in the extremes, Aroostook County...I know they are speaking English up there...but honestly, can't understand a word they are saying.

What's worse, FIL can't either and he went to uni in Fort Kent
Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:50 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Bob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond reputeBob has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Poppy girl
I love when they ask me if I am scottish nothing wrong with that except I am from Norfolk
show them your flipper, sorted
Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:52 am
Bob
BE Site Lead

Posh, plenty, upper class and crust, never heard anyone say that here.
Old Oct 26th 2009, 12:54 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Kaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond reputeKaffy Mintcake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bob
Posh, plenty, upper class and crust, never heard anyone say that here.
Good point. When we first moved onto our street a neighbor said ... "Are y'all teachers? Cuz y'all talk so proper." True story! We thought ... no ... about 3 hours north of here ...

I don't know that I'd expect to hear that in JerseyGirl's neck of the woods though.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.