Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > USA > The Trailer Park
Reload this Page >

WTF in America Part 2

WTF in America Part 2

Old Mar 29th 2023, 1:13 pm
He/him

kimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond reputekimilseung has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America Part 2

Originally Posted by kimilseung
Nashville shooting, seven dead. School only goes up to grade 6, so presumably she (the shooter) was no older than 12, unless an outsider or former student. (Media says she was a teenager).
Someone objected to this post being posted in the "WTF in America Part 2" thread, too many posts and threads about gun culture apparently. Can I ask that you post such requests in thread rather than in PM please. Site rules say that PMs cant be made public, and its difficult to discuss the matter of BE public interest in this public forum, without breaking the rules. I dont want your PMs or "reputation". Post in thread. Its abuse of the "add to reputation" button.

Last edited by kimilseung; Mar 29th 2023 at 1:58 pm.
Old Apr 3rd 2023, 5:49 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

A bizarre story from Connecticut just a few days ago - a young couple cut through 2,000 fibre optic cables, severing the internet connection to 40,000 homes.

The article says nothing about motive though, so heaven only knows why they did it? And more oddly, the couple aren't even from Connecticut, they're from Flori ... sorry, no they aren't from Florida either, they're from North Carolina!
Old Apr 3rd 2023, 6:26 pm
tht
DE-UK-NZ-IE-US... the TYP

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Pulaski
A bizarre story from Connecticut just a few days ago - a young couple cut through 2,000 fibre optic cables, severing the internet connection to 40,000 homes.

The article says nothing about motive though, so heaven only knows why they did it? And more oddly, the couple aren't even from Connecticut, they're from Flori ... sorry, no they aren't from Florida either, they're from North Carolina!
People do talking about “cutting the cord” with cable when they go internet/ streaming… maybe they just decided to do it more literally, most just cancel their service… and return the cable box

Old Apr 3rd 2023, 7:12 pm
Oscar nominated

BristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond reputeBristolUK has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by tht
People do talking about “cutting the cord” with cable when they go internet/ streaming… maybe they just decided to do it more literally, most just cancel their service… and return the cable box
Do they?
I remember returning a telephone to BT (they would have carried on charging rent) when I switched providers in the UK and got phone/internet/tv (Telewest I think) but then when I left the UK I just cancelled and they didn't ask for the box back.

Here (Canada) I changed TV package provider and we still have three old boxes from the old company.
Old Apr 3rd 2023, 9:01 pm
tht

tht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond reputetht has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Do they?
I remember returning a telephone to BT (they would have carried on charging rent) when I switched providers in the UK and got phone/internet/tv (Telewest I think) but then when I left the UK I just cancelled and they didn't ask for the box back.

Here (Canada) I changed TV package provider and we still have three old boxes from the old company.
You do if you don’t want a big bill from them… they will hit you for $100’s for that and the modems… you you have to line up and make sure you get a receipt for the return, as they sometimes bill you even when it’s been returned…
Old Apr 3rd 2023, 9:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Steerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond reputeSteerpike has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BristolUK
Do they?

Originally Posted by tht
You do if you don’t want a big bill from them… they will hit you for $100’s for that and the modems… you you have to line up and make sure you get a receipt for the return, as they sometimes bill you even when it’s been returned…
I've moved several times over here and always had followups from the cable companies for return of equipment.
Old Apr 3rd 2023, 9:53 pm

old.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond reputeold.sparkles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Steerpike
I've moved several times over here and always had followups from the cable companies for return of equipment.
That's really surprising - I would have thought the cost of administering the return was more that the cost of the equipment. I know they don't do it here in Australia - I have at least 3 different old boxes - nor do they in the UK anymore.
Old Apr 4th 2023, 1:42 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by old.sparkles
That's really surprising - I would have thought the cost of administering the return was more that the cost of the equipment. I know they don't do it here in Australia - I have at least 3 different old boxes - nor do they in the UK anymore.
I don't think they do (in the US either), unless you are ending the contact early, when the equipment isn't fully depreciated. In the past I have tried to return equipment and they wouldn't accept it, it's only fairly new equipment that they will take back.
Old Apr 4th 2023, 2:04 pm
tht

I don't think they do (in the US either), unless you are ending the contact early, when the equipment isn't fully depreciated. In the past I have tried to return equipment and they wouldn't accept it, it's only fairly new equipment that they will take back.
Maybe it varies by cable company, Optimum in CT and when I was in the city TW made you do it. I am not sure it’s about the equipment, it’s more deterrent to canceling, because going to the store and waiting online etc are not fast or fun…

The other trick they use is to catch people on the timing, if you are off by even a day they charge another months service (no prorating), and then if people don’t pay they send it to collections where fees are added. The retention departments are terrible, my advice to people who want to cancel is to just tell them they are moving house / State and to pick one where that company has no service so they can’t offer a transfer..
Old Apr 4th 2023, 5:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

chawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond reputechawkins99 has a reputation beyond repute

I've had a couple of recent cases where they said they wanted the equipment back:

HughesNet satellite internet. Wanted the router and the satellite LNB returned. They said they would send a box to send them back but the box never arrived. No further consequences.

Cox communications. Business internet. We terminated service and they required us to drop the cable modem off at a UPS store. No box required. I dropped it off. They scanned the serial number and gave me a receipt.

I think it is usually either a deterrent to cancelling or a reason to continue billing. I don't believe they actually want the equipment back.
Old Apr 4th 2023, 5:54 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat142 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chawkins99

...or a reason to continue billing. I don't believe they actually want the equipment back.
This.

Last time we moved apartments, we went to the local shop (UPC, but by then taken over by Vodafone who brought some of their nastier business tactics with them), terminated (or so we thought) our old service & started the new one. No mention of returning the boxes, although, luckily as it turned out, we brought them with us. Heard not a peep for 12 months until receiving a collections agency letter asking for €250! (Allegedly for boxes AND service supply) Our lawyer gave them a smack (she is VERY good) & returned the boxes.

Gave changed to have & smack changed them to snack! Grrrr!

Last edited by scrubbedexpat142; Apr 4th 2023 at 6:00 pm.
Old Apr 5th 2023, 4:42 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

The return of equipment will entirely be a case of adding complications to the cancellation process - in the good ole days (not so much), I worked for a company that would insist you cancelled your mobile phone contract in writing, not e-mail, pen to paper with a signature. You'd also only count the cancellation notice from the date of receipt.
Old Apr 5th 2023, 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by robtuck
... You'd also only count the cancellation notice from the date of receipt.
If that was in the UK, then that probably wasn't legal - under UK law, a contract document is deemed accepted at the time it is mailed.

As a very old (I believe from the early days of the postal service, in Victorian times) tenet of contract law in the UK, I suspect that it is the same in the US.
Old Apr 6th 2023, 3:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

robtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond reputerobtuck has a reputation beyond repute

If that was in the UK, then that probably wasn't legal - under UK law, a contract document is deemed accepted at the time it is mailed.

As a very old (I believe from the early days of the postal service, in Victorian times) tenet of contract law in the UK, I suspect that it is the same in the US.
I didn't say we were a good company ;-) It no longer trades and was back in the late 90's and early 00's just as mobile phones were taking off. One of the dealers we took connections from would often tell the customer they had "won" two phones in their sales spiel.
Old Apr 6th 2023, 4:27 pm

Originally Posted by robtuck
I didn't say we were a good company ;-) It no longer trades and was back in the late 90's and early 00's just as mobile phones were taking off. One of the dealers we took connections from would often tell the customer they had "won" two phones in their sales spiel.
I never came into personal contact with any of the cell phone service providers in the early days (late 80's and into the 90's), but my employer had contracts with several of them in the London area, and there were some very interesting stories about the companies and their owners and business practices - calling them "shady" doesn't really do it justice. On one occasion when one of my colleages had been visiting a client's HQ a "delegation" from a competing firm arrived for "an impromptu business meeting". ..... The result was a melee in the lobby between the owners and the business competitors, fists were thrown and furniture broken. I suppose they should be thankful that the incident took place in the UK and not the US!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.