WTF in America

Old May 19th 2020, 7:59 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: WTF in America

Originally Posted by MMcD
You might both find this piece, published 2 years ago when the faltering LA Times was sold for the umpteenth time in just a few years, quite interesting.
When we first moved to LA, the Times was a vibrant presence in this city. It was a great and thriving newspaper - in many ways on a par with the NY Times and Washington Post.
That changed with the digital revolution, as it did for so many publications - tho' the Times had further to fall. And it did. Rapidly.
Its eventual sale by the storied Chandler family and the subsequent decimation of its newsroom has been a palpable loss.
I'm not sure how the paper is faring now.
But given the current Covid climate there's a peculiar irony when one considers the identity and background of its current owner .....

https://www.latimes.com/business/hol...616-story.html
I hope you won't have to contend with "Border Patrol" and can circumvent the notorious paywall so that you can read this account.
Yes this is certainly an interesting story. We walked around downtown LA with our son, who lives there, he showed us the old LA Times building. What a glorious edifice!

My son’s take on it is that the Times certainly was badly hollowed out, as were so many other papers, but they learned their lesson and have at least partially rebuilt. He certainly supports it with his $$.
Old May 19th 2020, 8:08 am
Heading for Poppyland

robin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond reputerobin1234 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MMcD
"You'd think...." indeed

And they did!

After one of the David demises, Forest Lawn DID replace the marble fake (let's call a spade a spade) with a bronze one.
To no avail (alas)
It too succumbed to what now appears pre-ordained:
A disastrous topple
It seems David does not want to be cloned,

BTW....speaking of multiples, there are also 6 (yep, SIX!) Forest Lawn Cemeteries
These grassy final resting places seem to fare better than their contents
(....wonder how Corona has impacted them....move over David ? )
sorry/apologies, shouldn't joke but one craves the release of a dollop of black humour
Cemeteries are one of the glories of American civilization. I love them. Many years ago, we lived within walking distance of Mt. Auburn Cemetery in Cambridge, MA. It’s got to be one of the most beautiful & interesting spaces in the United States. It’s a very good arboretum, for one thing. And you can see the grave of Mary Baker Eddy with the telephone cable still trailing out from beneath the monument.

My mother in law, and her extended family, are buried at the Jewish cemetery in the gloriously-named Valhalla, NY .... basically the entire town is one massive cemetery. Well worth a visit.
Old May 19th 2020, 1:13 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by robin1234
..... My mother in law, and her extended family, are buried at the Jewish cemetery in the gloriously-named Valhalla, NY .... basically the entire town is one massive cemetery. Well worth a visit.
It is? I used to live there. I remember being a cemetery, but now you make me regret not making time to vist it.

I only lived there for eight months, and grew to loath the place, especially the commuter trains that blasted their horns as the passed through the narrow valley, for 21+ hours a day, and I suspect that I was close to some sort of mental break-down, not being able to sleep due to stress and feeling pretty much helpless to improve my lot. Things were so bad that quitting my job without one to go, to was in fact a very easy decision to make.
Old May 19th 2020, 3:07 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by Pulaski
It is? I used to live there. I remember being a cemetery, but now you make me regret not making time to vist it.

I only lived there for eight months, and grew to loath the place, especially the commuter trains that blasted their horns as the passed through the narrow valley, for 21+ hours a day, and I suspect that I was close to some sort of mental break-down, not being able to sleep due to stress and feeling pretty much helpless to improve my lot. Things were so bad that quitting my job without one to go, to was in fact a very easy decision to make.
You did? I love that part of the world! It’s my wife’s childhood stamping ground. She’s from the Bronx, but her mother was from Ossining. (Yes, it’s true, the lights used to dim on Thursday evenings, when they executed the prisoners.)

Kensico Cemetery is one of the great nineteenth century exurban cemeteries. Lovely to walk around in May or June, probably really nice in Fall, I don’t think I’ve been there then. It has a very large Jewish section, Sharon Gardens.

But having to commute to work from there would be a whole different story, I can see that.
Old May 19th 2020, 3:29 pm
Stand-up Philosopher

caretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond reputecaretaker has a reputation beyond repute

She’s from the Bronx, but her mother was from Ossining. (Yes, it’s true, the lights used to dim on Thursday evenings, when they executed the prisoners.)
God I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that!
Old May 19th 2020, 3:43 pm
Heading for Poppyland

Originally Posted by caretaker
God I'm glad I wasn't drinking anything when I read that!
I just googled “young people these days” hoping to come up with a comic response.

”Young people these days” does seem to be one of the most common phrases in the English language.
Old May 20th 2020, 1:02 am
BE Forum Addict

MMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond reputeMMcD has a reputation beyond repute

Cemeteries are one of the glories of American civilization. I love them.
Well then...speaking, as we were, of LA and cemeteries....
Move over Cecil (B. DeMille), Rudolph (Valentino), Judy (...Over-the-Rainbow) - all of whom have their final resting place at the (suitably named) Hollywood Forever Cemetary:

Once a year, to commemorate Día de los Muertos (Day of the Dead) the Hollywood Forever Cemetery throws open its pearly gates to the 1000's of celebrants who flood its grounds to honour the dead or go un poco loco. Or both.
It's unique. It's bizarre. And it's most definitely a WTF in America event.....

(yes, Día de los Muertos is celebrated in Mexico - but what takes place at the Hollywood Cemetary is in a class of its own)

Last edited by MMcD; May 20th 2020 at 1:06 am.
Old May 20th 2020, 10:26 pm
Deep in the woods of CT

Nutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond reputeNutmegger has a reputation beyond repute

You did? I love that part of the world! It’s my wife’s childhood stamping ground. She’s from the Bronx, but her mother was from Ossining. (Yes, it’s true, the lights used to dim on Thursday evenings, when they executed the prisoners.)

Kensico Cemetery is one of the great nineteenth century exurban cemeteries. Lovely to walk around in May or June, probably really nice in Fall, I don’t think I’ve been there then. It has a very large Jewish section, Sharon Gardens.

But having to commute to work from there would be a whole different story, I can see that.
My first husband was from Westchester and spoke fondly of watching the submarine races at the reservoir as a teen.
Old May 20th 2020, 10:47 pm

Pulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond reputePulaski has a reputation beyond repute

Apparently you can make money in the US by selling pizzas to yourself.

Last edited by Pulaski; May 20th 2020 at 10:52 pm.
Old May 20th 2020, 11:45 pm

Here's another brave attempt to knock Florida off their perch at the apex of WTFery, this time in Georgia, with a possible connection to South Carolina: Augusta woman throws bottle containing urine and faeces into a Taco Bell.
Old May 21st 2020, 12:32 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Here's another brave attempt to knock Florida off their perch at the apex of WTFery, this time in Georgia, with a possible connection to South Carolina: Augusta woman throws bottle containing urine and faeces into a Taco Bell.
Seems to me she was just cutting out the middleman - I once ate from a Taco Bell and it gave me the raging shits, never again.
Old May 21st 2020, 1:14 am

Nutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond reputeNutek has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by zzrmark
Seems to me she was just cutting out the middleman - I once ate from a Taco Bell and it gave me the raging shits, never again.
The Meat Tube probably needed a quick squirt of chlorine.
Old May 21st 2020, 1:22 am

Originally Posted by Nutek
Bleach.
Old May 21st 2020, 2:58 am
BE Forum Addict

zzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond reputezzrmark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nutek
Mine, hers and/or theirs?
Old May 21st 2020, 7:42 am
Heading for Poppyland

I’ve never totally understood capitalism, but what a total farce.
DoorDash is backed by investment giant Softbank, which this week posted a record-breaking loss of nearly $13bn.
Defending the loss, chief executive Masayoshi Son reportedly compared himself to Jesus.
The billionaire is said to have stated during a call with investors that Jesus was "also misunderstood".
He later apologised.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.